Slaughter in Winterfell

Dead Wolf

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

"The north has not forgotten the Red Wedding, every lord in Winterfell lost kinsman there. Stannis need only bloody Bolton, and the northern lords will abandon him." Justin Massey ADWD

" 'The maid tells it true' declared a stocky man in white and purple, whose cloak was fastened with a pair of bronzed keys. 'Roose Bolton's cold and cunning, but a man can deal with Roose." The man is speaking in the Merman's Court in White Harbor, in front of Manderly, the Freys, and Davos. The keys fastening his cloak mean he is a Locke. Lord Locke is currently at Winterfell with his levies.

"Reek had heard Stout's servants muttering that the Bastard and his men were eating through their winter stores." when Theon and Lady Dustin are in the crypts she says, "The northmen fear the Dreadfort, but they love the Starks." Theon replies, "Not you" and Barbrey answers "Not me, but the rest, yes" Stout may well love the Starks as well and seems hesitant to go out to fight Stannis when Hosteen suggests it.

Roose had 4000 northmen with him when he passed Moat Cailin, and of those, 500 were Robb's men. The first words out of the hooded man's mouth when he saw Theon were "Theon Turncloak, Theon Kinslayer." so whether or not he's a lord in disguise or not, he was probably a Stark supporter

"Manderly is not the only one who lost kin at your Red Wedding Frey, do you imagine the Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the Greatjon, he would pull your entrails out and make you eat them." Mors Umber tells Stannis that Umber will not fight Umber, and Roose likely knows Whoresbane won't fight Crowfood, so he didn't send him out. Whoresbane only has 400 men, however, if he wants to make a difference in the fight, he needs others to stand with him

Manderly we know has been plotting against Roose for a while now. He wants the Boltons gone, and there they sit. If Stannis wins the battle, Manderly's men will likely have stayed back and let the Freys bloody themselves, and when they get back to Winterfell, he'll have the perfect chance to take revenge.

"Do you think the Hronwood men have forgotten the Bastard's last marriage, the way his lady wife was left to starve, chewing on her own fingers?" The Hornwood men may have followed Ramsay, but Lady Hornwood was a Manderly before her marriage, and Lord Wyman is her cousin.

"Cerwyns, Tallharts, Slates, they all had men with the Young Wolf (Lady Barbrey)," House Ryswell too" (Roger Ryswell) "Even Dustins out of Barrowton" Lady Dustin's lips parted in a thin, feral smile, "The north remembers Frey" I don't believe that Barbrey Dustin really hates the Starks. When she was with Theon in the crypts, she contradicted her reason for hating Ned by saying "But he was a man and full of pride, and nothing would serve but that he lead the Barrowton levies himself." I think she'll betray Roose.

Thoughts?

Roose Bolton impaled himself on the same sword he thrust through Robb Stark's back. I know he's presented as a cunning schemer like a sort of northern Tywin but honestly I think Bolton was just severely delusional to think he would ever rule the North. Right now a third of the region refuses to accept his rule - including the heads of House Mormont, Glover and Reed who are all conveniently hiding somewhere in the Neck with a letter legitimizing Jon as the King in the North, another third are marching against him in a devil's deal with Stannis and the last third that have sided with him holds several major houses that are secretly working against him including an Umber and House Manderly in its entirety. Sure, his betrayal got him some powerful allies, too- but a thousand miles south and incapable of doing anything to help him.

To summarize and long and bloody story, Roose Bolton was killed at the Red Wedding. The body just isn't cold yet.

He's bringing Rickon back to the mainland, yes, but this is about him taking military action against Roose

Yes, but again, isn't that kind of a given at this point? That Manderly is biding his time as a Bolton embed and then will turn on the Boltons (and the Freys) when the opportunity presents itself.

OP, you missed my favorite one:

"Flints, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Slates…they all had men with the Young Wolf.”

“House Ryswell too,” said Roger Ryswell.

“Even Dustins out of Barrowton.” Lady Dustin parted her lips in a thin, feral smile. “The north remembers, Frey."

Sooo badass. Lady Dustin is gonna pull a Snape, I'm sure

OP, you missed my favorite one:

"Flints, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Slates…they all had men with the Young Wolf.”

“House Ryswell too,” said Roger Ryswell.

“Even Dustins out of Barrowton.” Lady Dustin parted her lips in a thin, feral smile. “The north remembers, Frey."

Sooo badass. Lady Dustin is gonna pull a Snape, I'm sure

Damn I knew I left something out, thanks.

Roose Bolton impaled himself on the same sword he thrust through Robb Stark's back. I know he's presented as a cunning schemer like a sort of northern Tywin but honestly I think Bolton was just severely delusional to think he would ever rule the North. Right now a third of the region refuses to accept his rule - including the heads of House Mormont, Glover and Reed who are all conveniently hiding somewhere in the Neck with a letter legitimizing Jon as the King in the North, another third are marching against him in a devil's deal with Stannis and the last third that have sided with him holds several major houses that are secretly working against him including an Umber and House Manderly in its entirety. Sure, his betrayal got him some powerful allies, too- but a thousand miles south and incapable of doing anything to help him.

To summarize and long and bloody story, Roose Bolton was killed at the Red Wedding. The body just isn't cold yet.

He should've checked his crystal ball and saw Stannis coming, Tywin dying, and Cersei pissing away power.

I agree that he isn't nearly as brilliant as he gets credit for but like Robb he has reverse plot armor.

Guest right was one of the rules of the Game of Thrones. The Freys and Boltons have taken that off of the table. Now the Northmen are perfectly justified if, say, they turn on their "companions" when Stannis attacks.

Well, guest right is deceptive in Winterfell now: Considering the host is Bolton, there is no guest/host relationship between Frey and non-Bolton northmen; Also, I think one could argue that Bolton has no right of lordship in Winterfell, since it wasn't conquered in a legitimate way, so technically, they shouldn't be considered hosts...

Guest right was one of the rules of the Game of Thrones. The Freys and Boltons have taken that off of the table. Now the Northmen are perfectly justified if, say, they turn on their "companions" when Stannis attacks.

Or when Hosteen comes back after the battle. Regardless of who won, the Freys will be weak and Bolton won't anticipate an attack from inside.

Seeing as Winterfell doesn't actually belong to the Boltons, I don't think anyone there is actually bound to obey guest right there when it comes to them.

Archived