Slaughter in Winterfell

Dead Wolf

Roose Bolton impaled himself on the same sword he thrust through Robb Stark's back. I know he's presented as a cunning schemer like a sort of northern Tywin but honestly I think Bolton was just severely delusional to think he would ever rule the North. Right now a third of the region refuses to accept his rule - including the heads of House Mormont, Glover and Reed who are all conveniently hiding somewhere in the Neck with a letter legitimizing Jon as the King in the North, another third are marching against him in a devil's deal with Stannis and the last third that have sided with him holds several major houses that are secretly working against him including an Umber and House Manderly in its entirety. Sure, his betrayal got him some powerful allies, too- but a thousand miles south and incapable of doing anything to help him.

To summarize and long and bloody story, Roose Bolton was killed at the Red Wedding. The body just isn't cold yet.

I could never say it better myself.

The Manderlys are free of any Guest Right misdoing against the Boltons/Freys because they do not recognize Bolton's legitimacy as the Great House of the North. Wyman Manderly only eats his own food at Winterfell, and when Rhaegar Frey and company leave White Harbor he gives them guest gifts which signify that they are no longer under the protection of Guest Right. Furthermore, while at Winterfell Hosteen Frey attacks Wyman (whose food he has eaten while at Winterfell) which is a further, more recent breach. It seems obvious that as soon as Stannis and Roose clash that the majority of Northmen are going to rally behind Stannis since he still aims to put a Stark/proper-heir in Winterfell that the North will actually like and follow.

The Manderlys are free of any Guest Right misdoing against the Boltons/Freys because they do not recognize Bolton's legitimacy as the Great House of the North. Wyman Manderly only eats his own food at Winterfell, and when Rhaegar Frey and company leave White Harbor he gives them guest gifts which signify that they are no longer under the protection of Guest Right. Furthermore, while at Winterfell Hosteen Frey attacks Wyman (whose food he has eaten while at Winterfell) which is a further, more recent breach. It seems obvious that as soon as Stannis and Roose clash that the majority of Northmen are going to rally behind Stannis since he still aims to put a Stark/proper-heir in Winterfell that the North will actually like and follow.

I agree about the guest right thing, but Stannis was going to give WF to Arnolf Karstark, and the northern lords haven't liked the Karstarks that much since they abandoned Robb.

Roose Bolton impaled himself on the same sword he thrust through Robb Stark's back. I know he's presented as a cunning schemer like a sort of northern Tywin but honestly I think Bolton was just severely delusional to think he would ever rule the North. Right now a third of the region refuses to accept his rule - including the heads of House Mormont, Glover and Reed who are all conveniently hiding somewhere in the Neck with a letter legitimizing Jon as the King in the North, another third are marching against him in a devil's deal with Stannis and the last third that have sided with him holds several major houses that are secretly working against him including an Umber and House Manderly in its entirety. Sure, his betrayal got him some powerful allies, too- but a thousand miles south and incapable of doing anything to help him.

To summarize and long and bloody story, Roose Bolton was killed at the Red Wedding. The body just isn't cold yet.

Roose could very well have ruled the North, if it weren't for Stannis sailing there, the Lannister-Tyrell relationship dissolving, Manderly finding out about the Stark boys through a lucky find, Theon working with a magically-disguised Mance Rayder to rescue "Arya," etc. Shitty, shitty luck. GRRM has basically made everything that could go wrong for him after returning North go wrong.

His bastard is another matter, but as the man at Manderly's castle said "A man can work with Roose." He would be a fairly typical lord as far as administration goes.

And honestly, the whole "even though everyone in the book says this person is smart I'm going to find contrived reasons to say they are dumb/delusional" thing is way too common on these boards.

The "Lady Dustin is just waiting to stab Roose in the back" idea seems like wishful thinking, to me. She admires him, and they clearly have some type of semi-friendship thing going (when Roose introduces Reek to her they way they speak to each other illustrates their mutual comfort).

Guest right was one of the rules of the Game of Thrones. The Freys and Boltons have taken that off of the table. Now the Northmen are perfectly justified if, say, they turn on their "companions" when Stannis attacks.

eXACTLY: In a world that revolves around honor, and rites the Freys and Boltons have none and forsaked the rest. To add to this the Freys and Boltons are traitors no one trusts a traitor. Once you crossed that line youre leadership can be doubted, and this gane has no room for that because it is a game of certainty.

Through killing the Young Wolf, Roose doomed himself and his house. The Starks were loved, the Boltons feared and now hated as they killed the King in the North. Ramsay does not inspire love either, and if he ever became Warden there would probably be a coup.

Ok,

Here's a thing I've been thinking about lately:

Is Wyman still in Winterfell? He's badly injured by Hosteen Frey, so I don't think He's out there in the snow with his men? Isn't He something like a Bolton's hostage in this situation?

He is indeed, but I don't think Manderly is afraid to die for his Stark cause. His House is in order, he's old and done as a warrior, he's a widower and he remembers the promise.

He is indeed, but I don't think Manderly is afraid to die for his Stark cause. His House is in order, he's old and done as a warrior, he's a widower and he remembers the promise.

Well, Manderly still has friends inside Winterfell. When Hosteen and Marlon Manderly come back, with or without the head of Stannis, all hell will break loose. Whoresbane and Harwood Stout were seen talking quietly in WF's great hall by Theon, and there are hundreds of Stark men in Roose's host. Things usually happen the opposite of the way characters expect in ASOIAF, and Lady Dustin seems confident that Manderly won't survive the battle. If he dies, there's no one except Robett Glover and Davos who know about Rickon, so I'll bet he still has a trick up his sleeve

I seriously doubt Lady Dustin stands beside Roose when she clearly sees he's in over his head and is likely going to die. Her being familiar with him makes sense as he was married to her sister. Besides, the only reason we have to believe that she hated the Starks is rumor and her very dubious word spoken to someone she clearly doesn't trust to keep a secret.

I seriously doubt Lady Dustin stands beside Roose when she clearly sees he's in over his head and is likely going to die. Her being familiar with him makes sense as he was married to her sister. Besides, the only reason we have to believe that she hated the Starks is rumor and her very dubious word spoken to someone she clearly doesn't trust to keep a secret.

The bolded part is pure conjecture. She never says anything that gives this impression, at all. In fact, she seems confident that Roose will prevail against both Stannis and Manderly. She is an ally of Roose, people. Why are people so unwilling to believe this? My guess is that it's because many readers don't like Roose and can't stand the idea of a character liking him, and not liking their heroes the Starks.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, I guess.

:bowdown:

The bolded part is pure conjecture. She never says anything that gives this impression, at all. In fact, she seems confident that Roose will prevail against both Stannis and Manderly. She is an ally of Roose, people. Why are people so unwilling to believe this? My guess is that it's because many readers don't like Roose and can't stand the idea of a character liking him, and not liking their heroes the Starks.

She contradicts her own reason for hating the Starks by saying it was Lord Dustin's pride that made him go to war. She loved Brandon Stark and Ramsay killed her nephew, and Roose made Ramsay his heir.

She contradicts her own reason for hating the Starks by saying it was Lord Dustin's pride that made him go to war. She loved Brandon Stark and Ramsay killed her nephew, and Roose made Ramsay his heir.

Domeric was Roose's son. It was his loss as much as it was her's. She is well aware that Roose has no affection for Ramsay and is only using him

Domeric was Roose's son. It was his loss as much as it was her's. She is well aware that Roose has no affection for Ramsay and is only using him

Only Roose doesn't have feelings as Barbrey tells us, and Domeric seemed to have a great deal of time with her, perhaps more time than he spent with Roose. She seems to hate Ned in front of someone who is clearly Ramsay's creature, but other than that, we've never seen anything that indicates that she hates the Starks. It's pretty obvious that Roose is fucked, almost every lord in Winterfell hates him and his friends of Frey, and their stores are beginning to run low.

lady dustin also mentions hornwood men so i assume they have a contingent of troops there to represent house Hornwood.

"And do you imagine the Hoornwood men have forgotten the Bastards last marriage, and how his lady wife was left to starve, chewing on her own fingers?"

Well there's still the whole his current heir is a murderous (whatever the opath our PHDs have decided Ramsay is)

I do not think that Winterfell is a make or break proposistion for Roose. He there because his plan to have Stannis march on the Dreadfort did not pan out. Ramseys the one who is really put on the spot by what has happened. Its really on him to get the girl back if he is to hold on to Winterfell. I do not think it would bother him if Rickon or Bran are restored as the Lords of Winterfell but he will not bend a knee to them or to Stannis. One King scares Roose but not four or five of them. The Dreadfort is probaly set up to withstand a three year seige and he will fall back on Barrowton with the Ryswells and the Dustins. He'll cut a deal with Euron, get the Ironborn out of Torhens Square and keep the Tallharts on his side with hostages. The Lord of Flints Finger could side with him as well. He stil has his alliance with the Freys and will make another with Euron. The target of this alliance will be the West, not Stannis. The Lannister have either been disgraced, killed or disappeared for the most part. The West seem ripe for the taking.

So Stannis/ his Northern allies will first have to take the Dreadfort. They can not move against Barrowton and leave this castle untaken in their rear. Torhen Square must also be seiged and taken as well. More than anything the weather plus the threat from the North of the Wall will slow any progress against Bolton. It will free him up to send some men to help loot the West. He can use the loot to hire sellswords and bring in supplies to counter the financing that Stannis gets from the IB.

Well there's still the whole his current heir is a murderous (whatever the opath our PHDs have decided Ramsay is)

So what? His heir isn't yet in power. When Roose croaks, I'm sure Lady Dustin plans on moving against Ramsay and I don't think Roose would even give a shit

Archived