Aurane Waters Endgame

Balaurderaa

One of the most mysterious characters from my point of view is Aurane Waters. Appears suddenly in AFFC then disappears just as fast with a huge fleet at Cercei's arrest. I couldn't work out if it was always his plan to set up as a Pirate/Warlord or if it was just he feared with Cercei gone he would lose his new influence.

Here are some of the things I think he might do

• Set up as a pirate in the Salladhor Saan vein, which may lead him to join up with Euron or Stannis

Or my favourite 'Crackpot' idea

• Cercei mentions that Waters looks like Prince Rhaegar now that could be expected since all Velaryon's have the Valyrian look (even the name sounds like Valyria). Or a more suspicious mind may think that perhaps Mr Waters is a bastard of another Valyrian looking house. The thing about him looking like Rhaegar could have been just Cercei pining for him and Rhaegar doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd have loads of bastards running around but even if he's not a Targaryen by paternity he would most likely have some Dragon blood in him from a few generations back..
  • And he has a fleet in the narrow sea in a perfect place to strike Storm's End..
  • Which leads me to think that he might join up with Aegon (And if he was his bastard brother it would be like Aegon the Conqueror/Orys Baratheon even with conquering Storms End.

I fully expect to be torn to pieces with no one supporting this but like they say when you play the game of thrones you win or you die :)

Can't a bastard just want to be a pirate king with his free fleet? The lands in chaos and turmoil. It's time to plunder!

Seriously though, he always struck me as an opportunist. He'll take advantage of whatever opportunity comes up.

Shouldn't you be a bit more concerned he's nearby and Stokeworth is probably top of his plunder targets :P

Aurane Walters must have more to him, I think he's a pawn of Varys' because it seems like no one has that level of social mobility in Kings Landing without bumping into him or Littlefinger (see the Kettleblacks). I think perhaps he's planted by Varys and instead of being the bastard son of Rhaegar is the trueborn son of Illyrio and his Blackfyre wife maybe? In either case though Aegon is the obvious claimant to support, and yet Aegon doesn't need the fleet half so much as Dany, what Aegon would need more ships for I don't know.

While I'm quite sure that he is going to join some important force (my favorite is Stannis), in his position I would be quite content with becoming a Pirate King with a seat on some nice tropical island in the south :D

Aurane Walters must have more to him, I think he's a pawn of Varys' because it seems like no one has that level of social mobility in Kings Landing without bumping into him or Littlefinger (see the Kettleblacks). I think perhaps he's planted by Varys and instead of being the bastard son of Rhaegar is the trueborn son of Illyrio and his Blackfyre wife maybe? In either case though Aegon is the obvious claimant to support, and yet Aegon doesn't need the fleet half so much as Dany, what Aegon would need more ships for I don't know.

If he was a pawn of Varys's, then wouldn't he have joined up with Aegon by now? I'm sure he could do with a massive fleet.

I think he's just being a pirate and biding his time right now. When the time comes he might side with Stannis (isn't he his old liege lord?) or Dany (they're both young and good looking).

A small part of me still believes that he will go to Dany with is fleet and help transport her army. After the wars are over he will either be Master of Ships or go back to Piracy.

As we know right now, he is using his new ship for piracy but lets see if that lasts.

While the TWOW gift chapters suggest otherwise. I still feel like Aurane is going to help Stannis due to Patchface's comments about Mermen (Manderlys) and Seahorses (Velaryon).

Do you have the direct quote? I'd be interested in reading that. It is hard to keep track of Patchfaces stuff.

Do you have the direct quote? I'd be interested in reading that. It is hard to keep track of Patchfaces stuff.

"We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh"

It could be nothing though, it's not as clear as say his red wedding prediction. But both Manderly and Aurane Waters (of House Velaryon) have fleets albeit small that could aid Stannis.

"We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh"

It could be nothing though, it's not as clear as say his red wedding prediction. But both Manderly and Aurane Waters (of House Velaryon) have fleets albeit small that could aid Stannis.

Thanks. Very interesting stuff indeed. I may need to revisit Patchface.

Thank you. I love that idea. Not because Manderly+Velaryon serving Stannis is awesome (it is, but that's another story), but because creepy Patchface prophesied it.

OK. Changed my plunder and piracy vote. Do what crazy jester says!

While the TWOW gift chapters suggest otherwise. I still feel like Aurane is going to help Stannis due to Patchface's comments about Mermen (Manderlys) and Seahorses (Velaryon).

*spoilers* (sorry I don't know how to do it the right way)

The TWOW chapter referring to a new pirate in the Stepstones could easily be Sallador.

During AFFC he is trying to tell Cersei about whats going on at Mereen but Cersei isn't interested. So its made clear that he knows about Dany. I'd say he has left the Lannisters for good but is biding his time.

Also, Stannis? Stannis would take his head off for an oathbreaker. He is not going to join up with Stannis. Aegon is a definite possibility however.

Clearly Dany does seriously need ships. Aegon had his transport taken care of by the Voltanese for free. He seems to add to a growing body of loose men with ships, Sallador Saan is looking for employment as well.

During AFFC he is trying to tell Cersei about whats going on at Mereen but Cersei isn't interested. So its made clear that he knows about Dany. I'd say he has left the Lannisters for good but is biding his time.

Also, Stannis? Stannis would take his head off for an oathbreaker. He is not going to join up with Stannis. Aegon is a definite possibility however.

Clearly Dany does seriously need ships. Aegon had his transport taken care of by the Voltanese for free. He seems to add to a growing body of loose men with ships, Sallador Saan is looking for employment as well.

Well, for Dany there is the Iron Islanders. He could go to her, but it's not the only way Dany is getting to Westeros.

But just to point out, Stannis doesn't execute everyone who breaks oaths. He's pragmatic enough to forgive lords who served Renly then came to him after. Why would he kill the guy with a fleet?

Because Renly was lord of Storms End and when he died they passed to Stannis. He could argue they committed a lesser offence. Waters defected from his liege Lord. This is a much greater offence than just following your sub liege and not going all the way. I mean he was part of Cerseis Lannister council...

If Dany gets the Dothraki as seems likely she will need A LOT more than 60 ships. We're told even a 100 isn't enough for her current forces.

I am a little suspicious about Stannis story. Currently he is relying on the North as its the focus of his story. I can't see him getting 40,000 Braavosi sellswords and Auranes fleet so that these massively outnumber ALL of the Norths forces.

Plus, why would he join Stannis over the woman with 3 dragons? He doesn't seem like a loyal guy and even then, hes from the Blackwater, the Targs home territory where houses have Valyrian blood. Arguably he very much shouldn't owe his loyalty to Stannis.

Putting Aurane Waters in the title is like shining the Bat Signal. Florina comes running. :P

Set up as a pirate in the Salladhor Saan vein, which may lead him to join up with Euron or Stannis

Pretty much what is going on. Ahem.

"And krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys," said Valena. "The blood draws them to the surface, our maester claims. There are bodies in the water. A few have washed up on our shores. And that’s not half of it. A new pirate king has set up on Torturer’s Deep. The Lord of the Waters, he styles himself. This one has real warships, three-deckers, monstrous large. You were wise not to come by sea."

Aurane has taken Cersei's ships and now is styling himself as a pirate lord and terrorizing the Narrow Sea. Those are Cersei's dromonds he's marauding with. I called this one a while ago before Arianne's sample came out.

Aurane could do a number of things. Either way, hes going to benefit someone and really screw up Lannister cred in the meantime. I can hear it now, "The queen is a pirate and a murderer!" If Sweet Cersei isnt Aurane's flagship, ill eat my hat. Those are flying Lannister colors and sails. They have Lannister figureheads. Aurane = World Class Troll.

So what is he going to do? He could join up with Salla and really shit disturb and wind up on Team Stannis (or Team Davos since Salla is pretty Davos-friendly.)

He could end up joining Aegon's side. My crackpot is that Aurane ends up sneak attacking King's Landing with those ships. They are Lannister ships after all, so why wouldnt anyone in KL let them dock? A sort of Trojan Horse move where if he joins Team Aegon, he can smuggle in Aegon himself. Or a bunch of freaking troops to sack the city so Aegon can claim it. I hope Aegon pays well. ;)

Team Dany? I dunno. Its possible, but im not seeing it unless the Ironborn strike up a deal with him.

Archived