Murder of Jon Arryn

Kanishka Prabhudesai

do cersei and jaime know about litlfinger being behind the murder of Jon Arryn?

Wow, what a Vale-centred forum today! Its a refreshing change from Secret-Targ threads :laugh:

No, I doubt they did. Littlefinger is very subtle, he leaves no trail. The only person who would likely know is Varys. Everything Littlefinger is he owes to Jon Arryn, so no-one would suspect he is behind it, and who would suspect his wife either? No, Jamie likely didn't care, and Cersei saw only the opportunity for Pycelle to finish Jon Arryn off, as she always fails to see the bigger picture.

I think they don't know. As his death was convenient to them they didn't really bother themselves with questions about it, nor did they try to find somebody to blame for it: it had looked like an illness, and the easiest thing to do was to believe it was. And if they didn't, maybe they thought it was Pycelle's work to protect the Lannisters (he claimed to be theirs), and more the reason to acts if it was a natural death.

I think they don't know. As his death was convenient to them they didn't really bother themselves with questions about it, nor did they try to find somebody to blame for it: it had looked like an illness, and the easiest thing to do was to believe it was. And if they didn't, maybe they thought it was Pycelle's work to protect the Lannisters (he claimed to be theirs), and more the reason to acts if it was a natural death.

Yes, I think Cersei thinks Pycelle did it and Pycelle thinks it was Cersei, so they didn't bother to discuss it.

How can Cersei think Pycelle did it when he's tending to the ailing Jon Arryn to begin with. Cersei just knows he ensured Jon didn't get better. Cersei just didn't care as long as he died.

Yes, but Cersei probably thinks that Jon Arryn came down with a random disease, and Pycelle ensured that it would be fatal.

How can Cersei think Pycelle did it when he's tending to the ailing Jon Arryn to begin with. Cersei just knows he ensured Jon didn't get better. Cersei just didn't care as long as he died.

Pycelle thinks the Queen needed him dead, to protect the truth about her childen's parentage. It's never made clear Cersei ordered this, but it is made clear Cersei benefitted. I'm not sure what this means about Cersei thinking Pycelle "did it." Still not clear if Cersei ordered LF to make it happen. Since LF is ferried off to marry Lysa, it's more than possible that the Lannisters know she had something to do with Jon's death. Again, not made clear, since LF has his own agenda.

I would think that Cersei put the hit out on Jon Arryn. She probably went to LF with it. But I wonder what she would have offered him. But in the end I'm only guessing.

Considering LF had no immediate gain from the Arryn death, minus the situation to stir the Stark-Lannister pot, I highly doubt Cersei had anything to do with Jon Arryn's death.

No.

Jaime thinks Petyr is amiable and too low born to be of any threat in his last AFFC chapter.

Cersei is just fucking stupid.

Which is interesting because earlier on in Game of Thrones, I believe he says something to Cersei about Ned being hand as a better choice than someone actually dangerous like Littlefinger. Admittedly at that point Littlefinger would have appeared to have been Jon Arryn's man and it isn't until latter that he is very helpful to the Lannister regime.

IIRC Cersei wasn't even at King's Landing when Jon Arryn died. She was at Casterly Rock, attending Tywin's tournament and, probably, trying to get some sort of support to resist the Renly-Tyrell plot. Pycelle doesn't think to consider poison an option until Ned brings it up.

So, I don't think Cersei had any reason to believe Jon was poisoned, and Pycelle likely let him die of what he believed was a natural illness.

Since none thinks of Jon's dead as an assassination, there is no reason they'll suspect LF.

Now, where is it said that Pycelle never poisoned him?

I'm well aware that LF is the one who did the main poisoning, but the rest of the realm believed that he had fallen "ill" (poisoned by LF)

Who's to say that pycelle never poisoned him as well?

Archived