Planetos or GRRth or ...?

Lord Puff Fish

And again, they were clearly referring to the dirt beneath and not the planet as a whole.

I guess I really don't see how the dirt of a planet can be referred to as "earth" without the whole planet also being referred to it as such. Seems like he could just call it dirt or soil but he's very specific in calling it earth where the Children are involved.

I guess I really don't see how the dirt of a planet can be referred to as "earth" without the whole planet also being referred to it as such. Seems like he could just call it dirt or soil but he's very specific in calling it earth where the Children are involved.

Just because there's earth on the planet doesn't mean the planet's name has to be Earth. In ASOIAF they could just as easily call their world Sea. Or Gooblegob.

That being said, I don't really find myself needing to refer to the planet itself ever, but if I did I'd probably call it Earth. It's obviously based on Earth, so unless I'm comparing it to other universes (like our world or other fictional worlds), Earth seems like a good enough name.

There are multiple definitions of earth. One is Earth, the name of our own planet. Another is earth, the surface of a planet, soil, ground, etc. Earth is mentioned more than 100 times in the series, and it's most definitely not referring to the name of the planet.

There are Seven Wanderers in the Sky. If Earth (as it is known) is accepted as another Wanderer, upon the adaption of some form of heliocentric theory, then it may get another name to correspond with those. Perhaps "Green Wanderer" or "Blue Wanderer." It can't be identified with an aspect of the Seven, as the other wanderers are.

Plus, per Martin, Grrth would be pronounced "Grith" which ruins it's pun-value.

There are Seven Wanderers in the Sky. If Earth (as it is known) is accepted as another Wanderer, upon the adaption of some form of heliocentric theory, then it may get another name to correspond with those. Perhaps "Green Wanderer" or "Blue Wanderer." It can't be identified with an aspect of the Seven, as the other wanderers are.

Plus, per Martin, Grrth would be pronounced "Grith" which ruins it's pun-value.

It is pronounced Girth.

Archived