Who is the most intelligent teenager in the series?

What about Jojen or Meera?

I think Jojen is easily the smartest, there is a reason they call him Little Grandfather.

If i have to pick from the list I would say Samwell Tarly. He's the most intelligent in the traditional sense at least, and will be far smarter than anyone on the list after a few months (years?) at the Citadel.

Jon and Arya.

Jon because of his reasoning, his abilitiy to build crucial relationships, and even his nascent scientific method--IIRC, he has those two dead wights put in the ice cells to see if he can learn anything from the bodies.

Arya because of her ability to disguise herself, her survival around dangerous people (Roose, Sandor) and in dangerous situations, and her knowing when to back off and when to be aggressive. Like Jon, she's absorbed the lessons that came from people like Ned and Syrio and even Jon.

FWIW, when you throw Sansa in, it goes to show that Starks, for all the griping that they are dumb, are pretty smart. Smart people may do dumb things (usually for good reasons), but intelligence will out.

You named candidates, I have the winner - Sansa Stark...

Ehh. Sansa is on her way, but shes got some ways to go before she gets there, brah. She doesnt have her blackbelt in Politeness Judo yet.

As it stands now, Jon and Sam are God Tier. Those two are pretty sharp and Sam in particular is very learned. He read it in a book, his mind is a sponge. Jon has a pretty broad thought process that puts him above a lot of full grown men.

Margaery, no contest

It all depends to be honest because they're all "smart" in different ways.

There's street smart: Arya

People smart: Margaery and Sansa

Military smart: Robb

Practical: Jon

Book smart: Sam

Why Dany is on the OP's list and not Sansa is beyond me...

Jon and Sam I'd say, though Jon might actually be better than Sam in terms of overall intelligence. Sam is the very bookish, very intelligent and very learned individual who's thought process seem to be hampered by insecurities and the like. Jon is the reasonable, sensible, practical and observant individual, who's also learned and ingenious.

Margaery is difficult to rate, since we are not inside her head, but she might be up there. She is clealry observant and politically savvy, but how talented she is at using her brains is still up for debate. The QOT does most of the heavyweight thinking for the Tyrells it seems.

The others on the list all show themselves to be faiirly clever. Sansa is learning how the Game of Thrones work, Arya is very sensible and very practical, with great streetsmarts, Aegon is learned and educated, Dany is savvy with a tactical and observant outlook, Robb was a talanted in practical military matters but lacked political savvy, etc.

Missandei might be the true wonderchild though.

Others, like Jojen and Meera are obviously intelligent as well.

Hodor is probably the smartest character in the books though. He's just waiting for the right time to strike and set his evil plan in motion.

Jon and Sam I'd say, though Jon might actually be better than Sam in terms of overall intelligence. Sam is the very bookish, very intelligent and very learned individual who's thought process seem to be hampered by insecurities and the like. Jon is the reasonable, sensible, practical and observant individual, who's also learned and ingenious.

This is why their bromance was so epic. They are two halves of one badass whole. Sam is the book smarts and information broker. Jon is the savvy one. Put them together and you get a recipe for awesome. Oh i do hope Sam comes back to Team Jon after his Misadventures At The Citadel.

Hahaha. Have some Arbor Gold and cut down on those lemoncakes you like so much. :lol:

Unless you are talking about actual lemon-flavored baked goods, I own the patent on that term as it refers to a certain butterball. And i agree mladen, too much lemoncake is bad for you

If Arya wasn'r super smart, she would be six feet under a long time ago. Taking her age into consideration, the fact she out thunk Jaqen H'ghar, and that she was smart enough to be merciful to the fleas living on her, she's my choice.

Sam, Aegon, and Missandei all strike me as incredibly intelligent for their age.

But, it has to be said, we are not in Missandei and Aegon's heads, we do not get to have a full view of their blunders like we do with most PoV characters.

Arya is the most intelligent of the candidates on your list, and she isn't even a teenager yet. I think she might have turned 12 by the end of ADwD, but even she doesn't know for sure because the Braavosi don't keep the same calendar as Westeros. She's definitely precocious, studying at a grad school level when others her age would be playing with dolls or practicing needlepoint.

Jon is presented from the very first as being very perceptive, seeing things as they are, which people attribute to him being a bastard and growing up faster. I see it more as he's NOT a spoiled heir so he doesn't have that arrogance that prevents you from learning. That said, Robb proved to be a good commander and an excellent tactician, didn't he?

Sam's really smart and perceptive too. He saw the truth of the wighted dead rangers they found in AGoT when no-one else did.

If Sansa is smart, she was wasting her potential under Septa Mordane's tutelage. Learning to be a proper Southron Lady is not exactly an intellectual challenge it seems. She may be catching up fast though.

Dany seems to have good intuitions sometimes, others she just seems impulsive. It strains the imagination that Illyrio didn't give her and Viserys better educations though.

But maybe we shouldn't judge her too harshly. She is after all just a young girl, and knows little of the ways of the world.

Loras and Margaery? It's really hard to say. We don't really see them having to do anything that requires smarts, do we? Or maybe we do, in that they may be involved in some subtle Tyrrell plotting that we haven't seen the fruits of yet.

Arya is the most intelligent of the candidates on your list, and she isn't even a teenager yet. I think she might have turned 12 by the end of ADwD, but even she doesn't know for sure because the Braavosi don't keep the same calendar as Westeros. She's definitely precocious, studying at a grad school level when others her age would be playing with dolls or practicing needlepoint.

Arya has her share of especially stupid moments though.

The one with Fat Tom being especially jarring.

Archived