Robert Baratheon vs Jaime Lannister. The hammer against the sword.

What do you think would ve happened if Robert found out about the twincest, and decide to get the golden boy, fury style by himself... Who would ve won?

My opinion is Robert wins. Anytime.

People seam to be to harsh about robert being fat. I really dont think its a big deal. He is like what ? 35 years old? He sure is no Manderly alike, or even as manderlys sons who by the way nobody sees unfit for battle. Belwalas is fat to, and it doesnt make him a lesser fighter.

He doesnt gets tired when he rides with ned. He usually goes also into long hunting trips, with no particular stamina problems. You might say his armor didnt fit, but it wasnt for much, since he had been participating in this melee tournaments usually. Not so far along it fitted. By the way, Ned doesnt have a problem thinking Robert can be smashing dudes for several hours. Ned problems is an other one.

So he has a drinking problem? So does the hound and no one sees him unfit to fight.

And theres no reason to think he is not strong as usual. Again, he is 35.

Robert is no fool. He is a natural warrior. He would know he is stronger, and Jaime more fit. He would try to drive the fight his way. And he has the fury/hate/rage plus knowing of the incest, as he did with Rhaegar.

If Robert is fat, Jaime would win. If this is prime Robert, he'd be wiping Lannister brains off his hammer.

Jaime, but his victory will be shortlived since Barristan will come after him.

If Jaime has both hands (which is the only way he could beat any version of Robert), he'd beat old Barristan as well (though it'd still be a challenge).

Honestly, I don't think Robert would warn Jaime ahead of time. Fat or not, Robert would have probably walked up to Jaime, and plucked his head from his shoulders, then booted it over the wall and into the blackwater.

And if Jaime did manage to get a warning, I'd imagine that the encounter would go a bit like it did with the boar. Jaime skewering Robert but Robert being in too much of a rage to care. Repeat of Mountain v Viper, except with a dagger to the face.

A blade of grass could make all the difference.

I think they would be pretty even in a duel... Robert has reach and strength, Jaime speed and technique.

On the battlefield, I'm pretty sure Robert would have the advantage though.

Honestly, it's impossible to say for certain because of the chaotic nature of war/favor of the gods. Robert shouldn't have defeated Rhaegar, but he did. If Rhaegar wasn't (and I hate to say) Emo'd out by his circumstances, he likely would have offed Robert and we would have a golden age of awesomeness - and we probably wouldn't be reading about it.

But, Jaime.

Honestly, it's impossible to say for certain because of the chaotic nature of war/favor of the gods. Robert shouldn't have defeated Rhaegar, but he did. If Rhaegar wasn't (and I hate to say) Emo'd out by his circumstances, he likely would have offed Robert and we would have a golden age of awesomeness - and we probably wouldn't be reading about it.

But, Jaime.

Emo or not, Rhaegar would have still been beaten.

In this hypothetical, how much fortified wine has Robert had to drink? I think that could make the difference.

The thing with using a war hammer as a weapon is that it's overpowering. One blow and your shield is broken, the next blow your shield arm is as well.

It takes away a lot of the advantage of skill and puts you on the defensive.

For Jaime to survive he has to get past Robert's guard early and decisively.

If Robert is well armoured, that might be problematic.

ETA: On second thought, we are talking about two fictional characters here, so the winner of such a duel would depend on the godlike will of the author.

Crikey, Tyrion has several times gone up against soldiers who should have slaughtered him, and ended up besting them.

That should tell you something. :P

But, Jaime.

You seem to overestimate Rhaegar.

Robert was already wounded and fatigued from the war, Rhaegar, on the other hand, was fresh as a rose AND believed he was protected by destiny, and Robert still wiped the floor with his mopey face.

Honestly, I don't think Robert would warn Jaime ahead of time. Fat or not, Robert would have probably walked up to Jaime, and plucked his head from his shoulders, then booted it over the wall and into the blackwater.

And if Jaime did manage to get a warning, I'd imagine that the encounter would go a bit like it did with the boar. Jaime skewering Robert but Robert being in too much of a rage to care. Repeat of Mountain v Viper, except with a dagger to the face.

Interesting. This might be the scenario.

Robert was a beast beyond comprehension. Before and after hand. Robert was a caged animal. He was never designed to be the stuff of kings. He was a giant rage monster that had to tolerate the seat he drew himself. He was never the fodder of kings he was the stuff of legends. Hero built and hero broken. Stuck in a world of his own design where all of his glory was behind him? WHO AMONGST YOU wouldnt drink, whore and eat yourself to sleep at night? What rightful king wound ascend a seat for glory? None. once you have attained the ultimate right you have to embrace it, even if it goes against your nature. Robert was never the type that was meant to be king but he was the man that could and did win that ultimate glory.

Archived