Robert Baratheon vs Jaime Lannister. The hammer against the sword.

I'd like to see Jaime going up against a guy who is bigger and stronger than him... and wields an object men as strong as Ned Stark can 'scarcely lift'. Robert could very well just kill Jaime in one blow lol even trying to deflect the hammer with a sword, the sword would probably go flying out of Jaime's hand.

Please tell me Robert is MJ? MJ is a drinking, gambling whoremonger.

haha yeah Robert would be MJ in this comparison, as (almost) everyone loves him, he comes up big in the clutch, and generally gives zero fucks about what other people think of him. LeBron is Jaime, as he is hated by most because of a decision he made, despite the decision ultimately being a good one.

Have to give the prime edge to Robert. Everyone who saw him in battle basically says he was unstoppable. If we are talking GOT match up, I think they both die. Jaime would likely try to wear Robert out, but Robert would will hisself to kill Jaime even while dying himself.

Does he even care enough about Cersei to bother himself? He might be pleased for an excuse to put her aside

She would have been executed for adultery and the children put to the sword, also Jaime, and a bunch of blameless Lannisters as well, then Robert marries Margaery.

Re battle - it seems like a giant with a war hammer would have an advantage but I think Jaime's speed would win it for him.

Do you think there is a possibility for Robert would lose against a pig ? But Robert was too fat for his armor, and drunk. There is no way he can defeat Kingslayer in that situation. In his rebellion, sure i would say Robert, even when Greyjoy Rebellion i would say Robert, but after that result is clear.

I can't answer a hypotetical question so easily, especially considering that we are talking about two paragons of warriors... but consider this: Robert is a guy who managed to kill a boar with a knife while being poisoned and with his intestines gutted, possibly even scattered all over the place.

A duel is a different matter, but this is some food for thought about a guy who is clearly overweight and not in his prime anymore.

Damn, war hammer is still pretty underrated here. It is basically a weapon devised to do something sword couldn't do - to kill a person in a plate armor. Wielding it gives a huge advantage. Prime Robert wins against prime Jaime 9 out of 10 times.

Robert was a beast beyond comprehension. Before and after hand. Robert was a caged animal. He was never designed to be the stuff of kings. He was a giant rage monster that had to tolerate the seat he drew himself. He was never the fodder of kings he was the stuff of legends. Hero built and hero broken. Stuck in a world of his own design where all of his glory was behind him? WHO AMONGST YOU wouldnt drink, whore and eat yourself to sleep at night? What rightful king wound ascend a seat for glory? None. once you have attained the ultimate right you have to embrace it, even if it goes against your nature. Robert was never the type that was meant to be king but he was the man that could and did win that ultimate glory.

awesome description of Robert!

Damn, war hammer is still pretty underrated here. It is basically a weapon devised to do something sword couldn't do - to kill a person in a plate armor. Wielding it gives a huge advantage. Prime Robert wins against prime Jaime 9 out of 10 times.

Consider this, though: Jaime is top notch when it comes to westerosi-swordfighters, in league with Barristan and Dayne. Rhaegar is not, and yet he managed to grievously wound Robert despite the hammer-advantage.

IMO, prime Jaime has a fair chance against prime Robert, in fact I'd bet on Jaime if they were to go up against each other.

prime Robert would win easily.

Fat Robert would be a hard one to judge. Robs being fat would go against him but Jamie would be arrogant thinking it would be easy. This might have given Robert enough of a chance to crush him with his Hammer. btw where is Robert's Hammer was he buried with it?

I think it is important that it is a warhammer as not many people use them you never see anyone training to defend against one.

Consider this, though: Jaime is top notch when it comes to westerosi-swordfighters, in league with Barristan and Dayne. Rhaegar is not, and yet he managed to grievously wound Robert despite the hammer-advantage.

IMO, prime Jaime has a fair chance against prime Robert, in fact I'd bet on Jaime if they were to go up against each other.

Grievously? Robert seemed to be quite ok, enough to dispatch Ned for KL and take surrenders. He even let his own maester to tend to Selmy. And it seems to me that he arrived to KL not very long after Ned. It was probably more annoying, keeping him from the horse, than threating. He was also already tired by the war, with some injuries already being inflicted upon him in the previous fights.

I of course know that I can't decide on the fight completly by using the real world, as sword fighting is an absolute core of fantasy and obviously powered up to create cool fights between fully armored knights. If GRRM was aiming for more realistic battles, we would hear of quite few more knights wielding weapons designed to beat the plate, but the hammer still gives Robert a distinct advantage.

Archived