Robert Baratheon vs Jaime Lannister. The hammer against the sword.

Fat King Robert would have almost no chance of winning a fight against Jaime. Besides the obvious stamina and speed issues he would face, he was unable to wear his armor.

Prime Robert would be the favorite in this match. He would have significant strength and reach advantages, but his use of the war hammer is what would cement his edge. Jaime would have to wear Robert down gradually, dodging his attacks the entire time. Robert only has to land one solid blow to win. Even if the first hit doesn't kill (and it probably wouldn't), that first strike would severely weaken Jaime, making his death virtually inevitable.

Yeah, anyone saying Jaime doesn't understand the fact that a sword is absolute shit against plate. Going at a guy in plate with a long sword is pretty stupid. Most men would be running around with pole axes, or pole weapons of any sort for that matter. With a sword as back up. The fact that Robert uses a superior weapon for the type of fighting he does is a huge advantage, skill with a sword is incredibly overstated in this series.

Robert wins nine out of ten times.

I insist on the rage factor. Baratheon words are "Ours is the fury". Robert is a typical Baratheon known for bursting laughters. The defeat of Rhaegar was only possible with his battle rage and hatred for the man. Now dont ever anyone claim Rhaegar was an average fighter. Jaime may wound him but Robert's hammer will crush him in the end.

I insist on the rage factor. Baratheon words are "Ours is the fury". Robert is a typical Baratheon known for bursting laughters. The defeat of Rhaegar was only possible with his battle rage and hatred for the man. Now dont ever anyone claim Rhaegar was an average fighter. Jaime may wound him but Robert's hammer will crush him in the end.

Baratheon berserker rage

Does he even care enough about Cersei to bother himself? He might be pleased for an excuse to put her aside

Wouldn't that be funny? I believe Jon Arryn actually had the chance to speak with Robert while he lay dying from the Tears of Lys(a). It is surprising that he wouldn't have tried to tell him about the adultery and incest, so here's how the conversation might have gone:

Jon Arryn: "Your Grace, I have something that I must tell you before it's too late. It is very difficult for me to say this, but... your wife is cheating on you. With her brother."

Robert: "Cool story, bro."

A lot of people seemed to assume that Robert would have flown into a violent rage and fought Jaime if he heard about the incest, but what if he knew this whole time and just didn't give a shit? Cersei and Jaime had sex in the room next to him on at least one occasion. He probably woke up during, saw them going at it, and then turn over and went back to sleep.

If Robert can't get into the fighting rage against Jaime then I think Jaime has the advantage.

Jamie without a doubt. He's much quicker, faster, and basically a better fighter then Robert is. Robert hasn't been fighting much in the past 10 years, so he is out of practice, whereas Jamie has been training constantly. Robert would of course have beaten him if he was in his prime, but he's not.

Wouldn't that be funny? I believe Jon Arryn actually had the chance to speak with Robert while he lay dying from the Tears of Lys(a). It is surprising that he wouldn't have tried to tell him about the adultery and incest, so here's how the conversation might have gone:

Jon Arryn: "Your Grace, I have something that I must tell you before it's too late. It is very difficult for me to say this, but... your wife is cheating on you. With her brother."

Robert: "Cool story, bro."

A lot of people seemed to assume that Robert would have flown into a violent rage and fought Jaime if he heard about the incest, but what if he knew this whole time and just didn't give a shit? Cersei and Jaime had sex in the room next to him on at least one occasion. He probably woke up during, saw them going at it, and then turn over and went back to sleep.

If Robert can't get into the fighting rage against Jaime then I think Jaime has the advantage.

Robert thinks the kids are his. And is very disaponited. Its kind of sad when he says to ned he keeps the throne because he knows what kind of crap joffrey is. And how proud must be Mace of Loras

He wonders how he could ve fathered such shitty kids.

Present time and Jamie with both hands: Jamie. Robert's too fat for his own armor.

In their prime: Robert- no one could touch him in the field. Rhegar was suppose to be the best in the 7 kingdoms. The rubies from his breastplate now sit at the bottom of a river.

Agreed but Rhaegar was never accepted as the best warrior lol. True though, Robert was number 1.

I think Jamie wins in any duel type of situation. Jamie has been training his entire life. He is better with lance on horseback, he is better with sword, he has also trained with mace etc.

Could Robert sneak up and kill Jamie - yes, but I don't think that's Robert's style.

If both Robert and Jamie are wearing full plate armor on foot, then as several have mention, a war hammer is a better weapon than a sword. However, I don't think Jamie would pick the "wrong" weapon - a life time of training would make Jaime adept with all weapons. (note the advice he gives to the young boy with cross-bow, to choose another weapon).

Its funny, the kingslayer gets all his fame for non to many text examples. The characters also think this way, but because of what?

He crossed swords with the smiling knight. Thats all, period.

What was his role in Grey Joy rebelion were Jorah, Thoros, Barristan and Robert himself get all the fighting glory? Nobody talks about Jaime.

Then he fights a single battle, kills a cuple of Karstarks and lets himself being captured. Robert was severily injured in two battales and was never captured. Never surrendered.

Even if Robert loses, I agree with the ones who said it would be a boar scenario. He wont die until he kills jaime.

Archived