Scott Lynch’s The Republic of Thieves.. SPOILERS

Howdyphillip

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this from Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1321351.The_Bastards_and_the_Knives?utm_campaign=2014_3&utm_content=author_pos0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=new_releases

The Bastards and the Knives (Gentleman Bastard 0)

by Scott Lynch (Goodreads Author)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25 · rating details · 92 ratings · 5 reviews

An omnibus containing two novellas: "The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic" and "The Choir of Knives"

These two novellas tell the story of how Locke, Jean and the other gentleman bastards acquired the Austershalin brandy that played such a key role in the con at the center of THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA and how they managed to avoid being killed by the elite assassins known as the...more

Hardcover, 336 pages

Expected publication: March 3rd 2014 by Gollancz

Any additional news?

Well, it's certainly not coming out on Monday, I'm afraid.

These two novellas were announced as happening some time ago, but then kept getting pushed back and back as part, based on what little I understand of it, of the rough time Lynch had with The Republic of Thieves. During this time they were also reconceived as non-essential but fun bridge stories between TRoT and The Thorn of Emberlain; I think I read in an interview that Lynch just wasn't willing to commit prequel unless he felt it really added something. He was talking about handing in the first of these two by the end of last year, but I don't know if that actually happened, and I don't know if releasing the pair of them in this packaged form, as The Bastards and the Knives, is still even planned if / when they're finished. I think I remember that they're being released individually by Subterranean Press as limited edition novellas first, but maybe after that we'll see them in mass market omnibus form, maybe? No recent news on these novellas at all, I don't think, sorry.

Lynch talks about The Bastards and the Knives:

No, I'm sorry. That book, as listed there, does not exist.

It does not exist and will not for years. It is an accidental listing that stores and databases won't stop listing.

Lynch talks about The Bastards and the Knives:

Those who want a bit of Lynch should check out his pretty great short story in Fearless Journeys the New Solaris Book of Fantasy. It's not in the Gentleman Bastard series, but it's handled with flair. His best written work, and I say this as someone who has read The Lies of Locke Lamora thrice, I is his short story, In the Stacks.

I've been out cold on the reading front so long it's embarrassing, but managed to claw myself back with "Republic of Thieves" and you know, it may have some flaws (it does) but despite that, I really, really enjoyed it. Like others I was so prepared to be underwhelmed by Sabetha, but I thought she was fine.

And now you good people are telling me there will be another novel out in late 2014? My love for you knows no bounds and this will certainly help my sad feels about the next GRRM novel probably being released some time in late 2029.

RoT definitely cemented the fact that Jean Tannen is my favourite SFF hardass. That scene with his broken nose was just ouch.

And now you good people are telling me there will be another novel out in late 2014? My love for you knows no bounds and this will certainly help my sad feels about the next GRRM novel probably being released some time in late 2029.

Last I heard from Polish publisher it is early 2015. Still, not so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Read it and enjoyed it. I would have preferred to learn more about the city of Karthain, as I feel that is where Lynch really excels as a writer. Learning about the bondsmagi was fun but the election stuff could have been more interesting.

I hadn't occurred to me that Sabetha could be the daughter, but it is an interesting idea. I think I remember a passage that mentioned the daughter looked exactly her mother, which would explain why Locke was so into her at first sight.

• 3 weeks later...

This is interesting:

As for what the Therins think their gods look like, they do describe them as completely anthropomorphic and generally too proud to take other shapes. The Vadrans do not have gods (as one of them points out smugly in THORN, Therins have a “god of the sea” but Vadrans just have the sea, full stop. It’s there, it’s inarguable, it encloses the mortal world, it doesn’t need symbolic representation, it simply and plainly IS). The Syresti have a pantheon sharing some gods with the Therins under different names (Zamira Drakasha, for example, thinks of Iono as Usharas). The Okanti have a tiered system of distant ruling gods and intermediaries anointed from the ranks of mortal heroes. The Jeremites have a two-god system and philosophy that coincidentally justifies the fact that they’re total assholes. The Jereshites worship the Therin pantheon as representatives of a unifying controller god and privately wish the Jeremites would all die in a fire.

The mysterious peoples over the seas, cut off from Locke’s world by the barriers of mists and storms left by those lovable scamps, the Eldren, won’t be revealing their preferences for some time yet.

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/82782339591/hello-im-sure-i-read-somewhere-that-you-described-the

• 1 month later...

Rumourville: Ryan Condal, the writer of The Sixth Gun and the new Hercules movie, apparently said (in his appearance at GRRM's theatre in Santa Fe) that he is writing a pilot episode for a Locke Lamora TV series.

Rumourville: Ryan Condal, the writer of The Sixth Gun and the new Hercules movie, apparently said (in his appearance at GRRM's theatre in Santa Fe) that he is writing a pilot episode for a Locke Lamora TV series.

Ouch...

I really think that a TV series is not the way to go with this series. There just is not enough material per book to make a long running show. The writers would have to completely change the story to stretch it out to even a ten episode series.

This book would make a perfect movie though. I wish we lived in a world that Hollywood would invest money into good storytelling.

I think Lies and Red Seas would make good films, but Hollywood would probably demand for a third film to bigger with more explosions and more shit going on, and Republic really isn't that. It's smaller and more personal. So I think whilst a Locke Lamora movie would be great by itself, if people want the whole thing adapted at least semi-faithfully it's not the way to go.

A TV show could work, but there's a risk of them turning it into more of an episodic heist-of-the-week kind of thing. But a TV show that started off showing lots of adventures for Team Locke before they go into the first novel and then adapting the series from there could be really good.

Scott Lynch on the news:

I can neither confirm nor deny the denial or confirmation of anything potentially requiring denial or confirmation.

I think Lies and Red Seas would make good films, but Hollywood would probably demand for a third film to bigger with more explosions and more shit going on, and Republic really isn't that. It's smaller and more personal. So I think whilst a Locke Lamora movie would be great by itself, if people want the whole thing adapted at least semi-faithfully it's not the way to go.

A TV show could work, but there's a risk of them turning it into more of an episodic heist-of-the-week kind of thing. But a TV show that started off showing lots of adventures for Team Locke before they go into the first novel and then adapting the series from there could be really good.

Scott Lynch on the news:

How about each book to be a 2 or 3 part mini-series?

• 1 month later...

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/90334287983/dear-scott-first-of-all-i-just-wanted-to-let-you-know

I do not generally comment on my progress in public, but THORN is very deeply underway and is, especially compared to its immediate predecessor, going to cross the finish line only a bit later than I’d hoped. It’s even got a bit where I get to mock the fight choreography of a show that drives me bonkers. No, I’m never saying what it is.

Archived