Scott Lynch’s The Republic of Thieves.. SPOILERS

Howdyphillip

My opinion of the sequels is kind of mitigated.

I thought Red Skies was very well done, but I can't ignore the feeling that it's just a filler, it didn't grasp my interest. But it's a good standalone.

Republic of Thieves, on the other hand, I had great expectations, knowing the setting and

Beth would be in it,

but it didn't really deliver. The politics and the mind game were kind of low and disappointing. Underwhelming is the right word, yes.

And the reveal about Locke was kind of lame.

I actually found the reveal about Locke a very good one, with lots of potential.

But I agree that the irrellevant politics and the mild pranks competition were really weak. RoT was underwhelming, although I'm convinced the next entry will come back to the level of the previous books.

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, thought it was a decent book for the first of a series. Hope that these keep getting better, which I'm sure they will. Really enjoyed the ending. And I'm assuming Locke's true name is very important to the story. He's a hidden bastard or something? Or, I'm just hoping so, I guess.

Yes, he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

I would like to say yes, unfortunately I didn't like the sequels as much as the first one.

The name is very important, yes, but don't get your hopes too high either...

I personally thought the reveal was really weird and disappointing...

I'm not sure what people were hoping for though? That he was like the Spawn of Awesome? I thought it was an interesting choice, and will be fascinating to follow whether the future story will deal with the heritage vs making your own destiny issues.

Whatever happens I for one am looking forward to more Jean Tannen, because he is dreamy.

• 2 months later...

Standard response: I'll believe it when the book is in my hands, not before.

There has not been a word mentioned by Mr. Lynch, and he is very interactive online. I'll believe it when he makes an announcement.

From Orion rights guide:

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Rights-Guide-Orion-2015-Frontlist.pdf

The Thorn of Emberlain

With a controversial twist in the tale coming, Locke and Jean find themselves sucked into the horror of war.

I wonder what this "controversial twist" will be...

If a publisher posts a date, does that generally mean that they have good reason to expect it to be out then? As opposed to retailer dates, I mean, which you can never trust.

Why, of course a publisher's date is much more reliable than retailer's, but I wouldn't say it's set in stone either. Even if they have the script, author can always demand changes I guess. Remember a few publisher's dates that was definitely not delivered.

I think a publisher date is more likely than a retailer date to be one that was real at some point. But that doesn't mean they're always current. The rights guide linked above listed a September date, with a note that the manuscript was due in May. Since we're now two months past that due date and the manuscript is apparently not finished (unless it is and Lynch just hasn't mentioned that on social media), I'd say both September and October are unlikely, and we're fast approaching the point where the book will be bumped out of 2015 entirely.

• 3 weeks later...

Book Depository is now also saying July 2016:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Thorn-Emberlain-Scott-Lynch/9780575077058

From [url=http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/125076912423/how-can-one-get-their-hands-on-a-copy-of-the]Tumblr[/url]:

How can one get their hands on a copy of The Bastards and the Knives? I would love a hardcover copy, but cannot find it anywhere. :( Is it just a lovely hoax to keep me wanting?

It doesn’t exist yet. That’s the only complication with getting one’s hands on it, unless one possesses a TARDIS. The reason it’s listed in various databases as having been published is a cautionary testament to the essential impossibility of correcting a fuck-up in those databases.

Again, Lynch has a very large online presence. He will be the first to let the readers know when this book is complete. All speculation based on website publication dates is frivolous at best...

At the same time we can also acknowledge that all his estimates on this book have been wrong so far.

It's always later, and later. There have been some pretty strong statements guaranteeing a 2014 release for Thorn, I'm a bit baffled it isn't coming out, even though I really shouldn't be.

Archived