GRRM reading from TWOW this weekend @ Capclave

Martin21114

Out of interest; how do you all pronounce Rhaenyra? I kind of do it as "Ray-nee-ra"

I say Ray-nair(like hair)-ah. To me the Valyrian "yr" is always pronounced as the English "air" but, as I just noticed I say "Val-ear-ee-ah" and "Val-ear-ee-ann" probably about 50% of the time.

I say Ray-nair(like hair)-ah. To me the Valyrian "yr" is always pronounced as the English "air" but, as I just noticed I say "Val-ear-ee-ah" and "Val-ear-ee-ann" probably about 50% of the time.

I thought it was the Valyrian 'er' that is pronounced as 'air'?

Just for the record, here are some of my pronunciations:

Rhaenyra - Rhay - near - ah

Daenerys - Day - nair - is*

Valyria - Val - ear - ia

Aegon - Ay - gon

Viserys - Vis - air - is

'is' as in the way it is spelt, not the English pronunciation of 'is' (that being 'iz').

Just a thought about the blood on the white dragon cyvasse piece. Could it be foreshadowing that Tyrion will become the rider of Vyserion after another rider of Viserion is killed? In other words, that Viserion will have two riders, the second of which is Tyrion.

Good idea, allthough it also might indicate that someone (maybe victarion, or brown ben who has also shown some affinity to the dragons) will try to ride viserion but fail, leaving tyrion to pick up the pieces.

I thought it was the Valyrian 'er' that is pronounced as 'air'?

Just for the record, here are some of my pronunciations:

Rhaenyra - Rhay - near - ah

Daenerys - Day - nair - is*

Valyria - Val - ear - ia

Aegon - Ay - gon

Viserys - Vis - air - is

'is' as in the way it is spelt, not the English pronunciation of 'is' (that being 'iz').

Are you sure Aegon is not pronounced "Egg-on"? I thought that was the reason why Aegon was known as Egg in the tales of Dunk and Egg in the first place.

Some of this girl's posts are pretty intresting, such as GRRM saying that in hindsight maybe he shouldve made Robb a POV and that D&D will be using material from Feast and Dance in season 4.

Going to be hard for them not to considering they were already using material from Dance. The Theon scenes took up sizeable chunk of the Theon PoV in Dance. Considering how much travelogue is in Dance, I expect HBO to be caught up and adding in their own stuff by the end of season 5.

I think I know exactly what the blood on the white dragon piece foreshadowing means:

1) Who (besides the messenger) got stabbed in the neck and blood got everywhere?

Jon

2) Who metaphorically picked up Jon with pep talks in AGOT after helping him come to face the hard truths in his life?

Tyrion

3) Who's so good at going into his wolf that he can be in his head even when awake?

Jon

4) Who showed up wreathed/limned with yellow orange tongues of fire in BOTH Mellisandre's vision AND at the ceremony where Mirri Maz Duur sacrificed Rheago? (because Mel just saw the old event in her flame vision at the wall)

Jon

5) Whose form in Mel's vision kept switching between between direwolf and man wreathed/limned in the same colors as Viserion's fire?

Jon

6) What other place full of skulls/death could Mel have been seeing in her vision when Jon's two shadows were switching from one to the other?

Meereen

7) Who, when joking about dragons with Val, actually "imagined"(???) their dark wings curling up in the dark? (Coincidentaly while the dragons were stuck in the dark under Meereen's pyramid of course.)

Jon

8) Who decided to jape around with Tycho Nestoris the Braavosi banker that it would be nice to have a dragon to warm up the wall?

Jon

9) Who does Jon know who happens to be an expert on dragons?

Tyrion

CONCLUSION:

Jon is stuck in Viserion in Meereen and Ghost at the wall now that he's been stabbed.

Once he sees a couple of dwarfs, and a guy with a bear sigil, he'll probably take a good look at them and seek them out because of Jeor's dying wish, and because he's a dragon and has no f*cking clue why.

Mel wasn't having a vision of how she's bringing him back, she had a vision of how his shadow showed up to Rheago blood sacrifice because what she was seeing was exactly what Dany saw outside the tent.

The battle of Meereen is gonna be reeeeaaaaally fun! :D

To be honest with you, he doesn't have to do anything. He doesn't even have to finish the series. An author should not be held hostage to his fans.

ADWD was just released in 2011 and it is only 2013. We long term fans have waited up to 5 years and received no sample chapters. The story is so good, so we wait. Many of the people that have attended cons have been gracious enough to use electronic media as it has evolved over the years to let other fans who live in areas like I do where nobody who is famous ever comes and/or can't afford to travel to events.

This has nothing to do with the 'exclusivity' of the cons. He should be able to read whatever portion of his works that he would like share with his fans. His best known work might be ASOIAF, but it is not the only thing that he has ever done.

I always assumed that these cons were for professionals directly involved and the rich/famous. I went to my first one this weekend because it was small and I don't care for large crowds. One of the best things was meeting so many people that I have met here on the boards.

The very best thing was listening to GRRM read what he had written and the enthusiasm that he had. It was like being 10 years old again and sitting at a visiting author's feet while they read their latest book in the local library. It reminded me that books are meant to be shared and that is what people are trying to do when they report on these readings. I am sorry that you have to be so pessimistic and assign such a commercial bias to something that is generously shared.

So many people here on the board get bogged down in the details and the simplest relationship between the writer and the readers gets forgotten sometimes...he has a story to tell and we love it.

GRRM really doesn't have to do anything, he can even never finish this story at all, on the other hand, he is doing this story for people (not only for himself, otherwise there won't be so much fuss about it), isn't he? In fact, we are his hostages, not the other way round, as we are obsessed (to be realistic, I can't find a better word for my state) about his story, which we indeed love.

We keep looking for prove/hints for something that we sometimes imagine/different theories, rather than just enjoying the story itself, as you said.

Yes, unfortunately, some would never be able to see or hear GRRM reading his books, there are a lot of people(and in this forum as well) from countries GRRM probably heard of only few times in his life (joke, of course).

I think I know exactly what the blood on the white dragon piece foreshadowing means:

1) Who (besides the messenger) got stabbed in the neck and blood got everywhere?

Jon

2) Who metaphorically picked up Jon with pep talks in AGOT after helping him come to face the hard truths in his life?

Tyrion

3) Who's so good at going into his wolf that he can be in his head even when awake?

Jon

4) Who showed up wreathed/limned with yellow orange tongues of fire in BOTH Mellisandre's vision AND at the ceremony where Mirri Maz Duur sacrificed Rheago? (because Mel just saw the old event in her flame vision at the wall)

Jon

5) Whose form in Mel's vision kept switching between between direwolf and man wreathed/limned in the same colors as Viserion's fire?

Jon

6) What other place full of skulls/death could Mel have been seeing in her vision when Jon's two shadows were switching from one to the other?

Meereen

7) Who, when joking about dragons with Val, actually "imagined"(???) their dark wings curling up in the dark? (Coincidentaly while the dragons were stuck in the dark under Meereen's pyramid of course.)

Jon

8) Who decided to jape around with Tycho Nestoris the Braavosi banker that it would be nice to have a dragon to warm up the wall?

Jon

9) Who does Jon know who happens to be an expert on dragons?

Tyrion

CONCLUSION:

Jon is stuck in Viserion in Meereen and Ghost at the wall now that he's been stabbed.

Once he sees a couple of dwarfs, and a guy with a bear sigil, he'll probably take a good look at them and seek them out because of Jeor's dying wish, and because he's a dragon and has no f*cking clue why.

Mel wasn't having a vision of how she's bringing him back, she had a vision of how his shadow showed up to Rheago blood sacrifice because what she was seeing was exactly what Dany saw outside the tent.

The battle of Meereen is gonna be reeeeaaaaally fun! :D

It's a cool thought but that would be kind of ridiculous. Maybe he can have visions of the battle in his dreams or something.

Tyrion picking up the White Dragon could signify not just him riding a dragon, but him siding with Aegon against Dany as she has the Black Dragon, so the opposing Cyvasse side.

Weirwood symbolism is also interesting.

Or maybe it's Jon (the white dragon) versus Dany (the black dragon) in the end, as has been speculated (presumably after Aegon has already been dispatched), and Tyrion sides with Jon.

Or maybe it's Jon (the white dragon) versus Dany (the black dragon) in the end, as has been speculated (presumably after Aegon has already been dispatched), and Tyrion sides with Jon.

Perhaps it means that Viserion will get injured somehow and that Tyrion will mend him (i.e. picking him up and swiping the blood away).

Archived