Dissapointing characters

Shadwell

I'm cautious of saying which characters disappoint me in an unfinished series, because there's still plenty of room for them to be a "Aha! GRRM had this planned all along!"

Tywin, Balon, the Red Viper, Quentyn, they all are dead, their Story is over. And for me, they were dissapointing.

Other Endings were great like Ned, Robb, Cat (not UNcat!)

I was so profoundly disappointed in Lysa. From very early in aGoT, I was expecting that the Tully sisters have some secret intelligence-sharing network (like Jane Austen heroines with real political heft) and that they were both smart, capable and would form the core of some new anti-Lannister alliance.... then we meet her. Ugh. I was hoping for a Catelyn-lite, maybe not as serious and astute as Catelyn, maybe more light-hearted, but instead she's nuts, weak-willed, and indecisive. Boo.

I also think that Cersei's character has been destroyed by the inclusion of Maggy the Frog's prophecy, as it removes her bloodthirsty ruthlessness and cruelty and lust for power in its own sake and instead makes her reactionary and paranoid. I mean, if she's been living her life in fear of a younger more beautiful queen's arrival (who she thinks is Maragery) then she should have been terrified by Sansa's betrothal to Joffrey.

Seeing how they've gone from ruling the bounty of riverlands to these impoversihed islands, they certainly are not the smartest ones. :) "Reavers" indeed.

To be fair, the only reason why they can't rule an empire anymore is because of the unity of the Seven Kingdoms.

Should the Kingdoms all become separate, warring entities again, the Ironborn will rise.

I was so profoundly disappointed in Lysa. From very early in aGoT, I was expecting that the Tully sisters have some secret intelligence-sharing network (like Jane Austen heroines with real political heft) and that they were both smart, capable and would form the core of some new anti-Lannister alliance.... then we meet her. Ugh. I was hoping for a Catelyn-lite, maybe not as serious and astute as Catelyn, maybe more light-hearted, but instead she's nuts, weak-willed, and indecisive. Boo.

I also think that Cersei's character has been destroyed by the inclusion of Maggy the Frog's prophecy, as it removes her bloodthirsty ruthlessness and cruelty and lust for power in its own sake and instead makes her reactionary and paranoid. I mean, if she's been living her life in fear of a younger more beautiful queen's arrival (who she thinks is Maragery) then she should have been terrified by Sansa's betrothal to Joffrey.

I was disappointed with Lysa as well.

And yes, Cersei, who still remains one of my favorites, had to have that blemish in her character that is Maggy. Other than that, I really enjoyed her POVs.

To be fair Vizerys was pretty sadistic towards Dany and seemed to have no concept of how bleak his situation was..all of which suggests to me that he had the Targaryen madness same as his dad, Brightflame etc (Barristan also implies this). If he became king i'd imagine he'd burn most of the North, Riverlands, Stormlands and Vale as punishment for their rebellion

I'm looking forward to see what Dany does in Westeros. She is learning that conquorers can't be loved by all.

Yes Vis was a little mean bit he hadn't killed anyone yet. King bob allowed children to be killed and wanted all Targs dead.

He would have let Dany get raped if it would help him win his crown. He would have been as bad as his father. This quote is from the show and I'm not sure if it is in the books as well but

"Who can rule without fear, wealth, or love?" The answer, Nobody. And Viserys had none of that. Robert on te other hand was loved mostly by his people and was feared a tiny bit. He was still a shitty king but Viserys would have been worse. That's if he hadn't been assassinated during his first year.

Yes Vis wasn't nice. But compare him to Drogo, Mass rapist and murderer. In fact the best rapist and murderer of all the dothraki.

Viserys was a great character, similar to Theon. I think he would have ruled with an iron fist like Theon, or Tywin or Stannis. Without mercy and slightly cruel but not a complete psycho.

Doran Martell disappointed me, in the sense that he always seem to be the "too little, too late" guy.

As well, what the hell is Aeron Greyjoy good for, seriously? His whole Kingsmoot idea was in order to stop Euron taking control, but accomplished the opposite.

Quentyn Martell

I thought it was disappointing that Quentyn Martell died so (seemingly) pointlessly after a book long arc

Had Quentyn's scheme actually worked, then he would have disappointed me. The way he met his end actually redeemed that story arc for me. I would have hated it if the story let him steal and ride a dragon so easily.

Definitely Quentyn. All those chapters just to die in a stupid way? Come on.

His dad, too. It seems that his conception of ''undoing the works'' of Tywin Lannister is waiting for him to die of completely unrelated causes.

Come to think of it, all the Dornish save Oberyn Martell are pretty dissapointing. Arianne seems a bit stupid. The Sand Snakes seem little more than vengeance-hungry hotheads. And Darkstar is, well, Darkstar.

Archived