The Might of Skagos

Lord Klax Stark

Well all things considered we are minus some 35000 to 40000 men that the North should have based on its estimated size and probable population. I don't see skagos as having 5000 to 10000 men as too ridiculous given that it has at least three houses and is composed of multiple islands. Plus as was pointed out before they did rebel in the past few generations, even killed a stark lord in the process. That speaks for some military capacity

Boy, those Lannisters sure are lucky that Robb left like 3/4ths of the North's strength behind when he marched south, huh? Between the Skagosi and the mountain clans Robb's host probably could have outnumbered Joffrey's 3 to 1!

I know its sarcasm, but there is enough of a issue of Skagos that is made by GRRM to view it as something as moderately populated. Several Stark lords lost their lives when they rebelled so they do likely have some strength to show for it, though probably not "might".

Well all things considered we are minus some 35000 to 40000 men that the North should have based on its estimated size and probable population. I don't see skagos as having 5000 to 10000 men as too ridiculous given that it has at least three houses and is composed of multiple islands. Plus as was pointed out before they did rebel in the past few generations, even killed a stark lord in the process. That speaks for some military capacity

There are eight houses in in the neck and there is no way they have 5,000 men so Skgaos with their 3 houses have no chance at that number.

I doubt the island has too many people on it, but it was at one time able to rebel in such a way that it was a struggle to put the rebellion down. So even if it's not heavily populated, something about it — the people's methods, percentage of the population that can fight — is formidable.

I believe it's a fairly good indicator of population size, though definitely not a determinative factor. Besides I started a thread a while back asking a similar question about the strength of house reed. The estimate was about 3k to 5k men, and the neck is probably more inhospitable then skagos

I doubt the island has too many people on it, but it was at one time able to rebel in such a way that it was a struggle to put the rebellion down. So even if it's not heavily populated, something about it — the people's methods, percentage of the population that can fight — is formidable.

If you have no ships, it isnt easy to stop a rebellion of 500 men with a ship :D

I think that part of the problem with putting down the Skagos uprising would be its remote location and the lack of a northern navy.

I think their army would be around 3k or 4k, 10k would be too big.

I think that part of the problem with putting down the Skagos uprising would be its remote location and the lack of a northern navy.

Yes, without navy you can't take an island so easy. Especially vast island like Skagos...

There are eight houses in in the neck and there is no way they have 5,000 men so Skgaos with their 3 houses have no chance at that number.

How do you know how many men the Neck can or cannot raise?

EDIT

In my view, each of the Neck Houses can likely raise in the region of 500 men. Meaning the Neck likely can raise 4000+ men.

True, but I rather think, that they used some kind of guerilla tactic while using their home advantage to the fullest.

Archived