(F)Aegon wielding Blackfyre.

Rickeen Baratheon

Blackfyre is a fabled greatsword of Valyrian Steel, wielded by Aegon the Conqueror.

It was last seen with Bittersteel before the founding of the GC ( Golden Company. ) So, can we assume that if they have it still and Aegon will wield it, his claim may actually be more believable. "Some felt that the sword symbolized the monarchy."

In terms of the common people believing who he is, if he returns with the most famous of the Targ Valyrian blades.

Yes, I think he will wield it, and it may reinforce his legitimacy with some. However, IMO, it would lend more credence to the idea that he is fake and a Blackfyre, given it's last known whereabouts.

Blackfyre is a fabled greatsword of Valyrian Steel, wielded by Aegon the Conqueror.

It was last seen with Bittersteel before the founding of the GC ( Golden Company. ) So, can we assume that if they have it still and Aegon will wield it, his claim may actually be more believable. "Some felt that the sword symbolized the monarchy."

In terms of the common people believing who he is, if he returns with the most famous of the Targ Valyrian blades.

EDIT: nevermind what I said.

I don't remember any mention of that. Can you dig up the quote or ssm?

No, as a matter of fact I was wrong. I dug up this thread (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96058-targaryen-valyrian-steel-location/) apparently the wiki used to list that Maelys was the last known wielder of Blackfyre (I assumed there was an SSM about it), but in that thread nobody was able to come up with a SSM or Quote to back it up. And since then the wiki page of Blackfyre has been edited to remove Maelys as last known wielder.

I have to say this is quite a surprise. Perhaps the old crackpots about Longclaw being Blackfyre weren't that crackpot after all.

No, as a matter of fact I was wrong. I dug up this thread (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96058-targaryen-valyrian-steel-location/) apparently the wiki used to list that Maelys was the last known wielder of Blackfyre (I assumed there was an SSM about it), but in that thread nobody was able to come up with a SSM or Quote to back it up. And since then the wiki page of Blackfyre has been edited to remove Maelys as last known wielder.

I have to say this is quite a surprise. Perhaps the old crackpots about Longclaw being Blackfyre weren't that crackpot after all.

:o link me im having trouble finding this longfyre theory

I tend to think he'll end up having it, and he is a Blackfyre.

It's sort of teased in the D&E series. The rebel lords are iffy on Daemon II because he doesn't show up with the sword, and because of that they question his chops and whether he really has Bittersteel's full motivation behind him. The foreshadowing being, the next time a Blackfyre shows up to take over (even if it's in the guise of Aegon VI), dude's gonna have the sword and that's part of what will make him successful.

It's sort of teased in the D&E series. The rebel lords are iffy on Daemon II because he doesn't show up with the sword, and because of that they question his chops and whether he really has Bittersteel's full motivation behind him. The foreshadowing being, the next time a Blackfyre shows up to take over (even if it's in the guise of Aegon VI), dude's gonna have the sword and that's part of what will make him successful.

but if he is revealed a Blackfyre would anybody really support him to make him successful whether he has the sword or not?

i find it hard to believe westerosi lords would rise for Aegon at this point if he declared himself a Blackfyre. the last time the Blackfyres were fought they were little more a relatively small force of rebels to get cut down by Barristan. they haven't been a major force in almost a century. the only hint to this is the GC's "friends in the reach" statement.

110% agree.

I am almost certain that the GC has Blackfyre and are just waiting for the right time to give it to YG.

I think he will have Blackfyre by the time Arianne meets with him at Storm's End.

but if he is revealed a Blackfyre would anybody really support him to make him successful whether he has the sword or not?

Anyone who hates the Lannisters and thinks they have a chance of winning probably would. Dorne for example. I don't think Aegon knows, and therefore won't declare it but it will probably occur to those may try to ally with him, and I think they just won't care. Specifically Arianne who is power hungry and doesn't think much of Dany. Depending on how they perceive Quentyn's death, Doran might back Faegon as well, even with his questionable past.

i find it hard to believe westerosi lords would rise for Aegon at this point if he declared himself a Blackfyre. the last time the Blackfyres were fought they were little more a relatively small force of rebels to get cut down by Barristan. they haven't been a major force in almost a century. the only hint to this is the GC's "friends in the reach" statement.

I don't believe that Aegon knows he is a Blackfyre. I think that he truly believes himself to be Rhaegar's son. The sword, Blackfyre, isn't necessarily synonomous with House Blackfyre. The sword did afterall originally belong to Aegon the Conquerer. In any event with the upcoming conflict between the Tyrells and Lannisters as well as Euron's invasion of Oldtown, I don't think anyone is going to put too much weight on a sword to determine Aegon's identity.

Some felt that the sword symbolized the monarchy at the time of the Blackfyre Rebellion, but that was a hundred years ago. No one currently living can recall a time when Blackfyre was the sword of the king, indeed the sword has come to be associated with rebellion and treason and pretenders. So no, possession of Blackfyre would not reinforce (f)Aegon's claim, it would weaken it. If the GC still has Blackfyre, they should keep it under wraps until Aegon is established on the Iron Throne and then have someone show up with it and present it to the King, thus restoring it to House Targaryen.

He's not going to out himself as a Blackfyre, obviously. He doesn't even know that he is one. But I think he will have the sword.

It's actually powerful propaganda: Aegon VI, the claimant who brought the Blackfyre exiles back into the fold.

It's listed as a greatsword.

Great replies guys! Yes, it may add more to him being a Blackfyre, but I'm actually fine with that. IMO, Daemon Blackfyre would've been a great king.

Also, many rallied behind the Blackfyres and more may do so again, if (F)Aegon is revealed as a Blackfyre. But the sword -was- Aegon the Conqueror's sword, so, if he does have it, it will be like the conqueroing again. Minus the dragons.

Archived