Stephen R. Donaldson

Hound Dog

One of the things that Donaldson does better than most other fantasy authors throughout the various Covenant books imo is write scenes where there's a true sense of dread and malevolence whenever the protagonists are dealing with anything to do with the various evil beings and characters that exist in the setting.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2015-08-29 at 3:47 PM, Werthead said:

:o

ETA:  Hahahahahahahah you can still watch episodes online.

ETA2: Holy shit, they're reenacting the first four pages.  Covenant is a zombie!

This was already mentioned in the "what's coming in 2017" thread but I missed it.  Donaldson has a new high fantasy trilogy coming out.

• 6 months later...

New blurb for Seventh Decimate:

https://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Decimate-Great-Gods-War/dp/039958613X/

The acclaimed author of the Thomas Covenant Chronicles launches a powerful new trilogy about a prince’s desperate quest for a sorcerous library to save his people.

Fire. Wind. Pestilence. Earthquake. Drought. Lightning.
These are the six Decimates, wielded by sorcerers for both good and evil.

But a seventh Decimate exists—the most devastating one of all...

For centuries, the realms of Belleger and Amika have been at war, with sorcerers from both sides brandishing the Decimates to rain blood and pain upon their enemy. But somehow, in some way, the Amikans have discovered and invoked a seventh Decimate, one that strips all lesser sorcery of its power. And now the Bellegerins stand defenseless.

Prince Bifalt, eldest son of the Bellegerin King, would like to see the world wiped free of sorcerers. But it is he who is charged with finding the repository of all of their knowledge, to find the book of the seventh Decimate—and reverse the fate of his land.

All hope rests with Bifalt. But the legendary library, which may or may not exist, lies beyond an unforgiving desert and treacherous mountains—and beyond the borders of his own experience. Wracked by hunger and fatigue, sacrificing loyal men along the way, Bifalt will discover that there is a game being played by those far more powerful than he could ever imagine. And that he is nothing but a pawn...

Looking forward to this in the fall.  I always thought Mordant's Need was under-rated in general.  SJD's non-TC fantasy can be pretty enjoyable, as long as the quality is not at the same level as last TC Chronicles.

On 16/11/2014 at 11:28 PM, MinDonner said:

The second series is by far the best. Third, I still haven't read past the first one, not sure I ever will. And that's speaking as someone with a FFS Donaldson username.

I still need to get around to reading the last two of the third - but that's only for completeness purposes. I was willing to accept The Runes of the Earth as a set-up book, but Fatal Revenant is eight hundred pages on a red herring.

On the other hand, I read The Augur's Gambit (a non-TC novella) over Christmas, and it shows Donaldson can still write.

UK edition blurb for Seventh Decimate:

The war between Amika and Belleger has raged for generations. Its roots lie in the distant past, beyond memory. Sorcerers from both sides rain destruction down on the battlefield, wielding the six deadly Decimates of fire, earth, wind, water, lightning, and pestilence.

Prince Bifalt hopes that Belleger's new weapons technology, the rifle, will provide a decisive advantage. But when Belleger's sorcerers are mysteriously deprived of their magical abilities, leaving them unable to defend against Amika, he must set aside his own deep hatred of sorcery and work to solve this new enigma.

Grasping at any chance to save his beloved homeland, Prince Bifalt of Belleger sets out on a hazardous journey across the unmapped wastelands to the east. With Elgart, his last comrade, Bifalt pursues the long-hidden trail of the one object that might be able to turn the tide of the endless war - a book entitled The Seventh Decimate.

The events that unfold force Prince Bifalt to weigh his stubbornness, his patriotism, and his hatred for sorcerers against his sense of loyalty and of what he knows to be right. And as he learns, Amika and Belleger may simply be pawns within an even larger struggle...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1473221668/

On 13/03/2017 at 7:16 PM, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I would go with the Thomas Covenant, the Gap series is very dark and written from a very dark perspective. Kinda disturbing.

Well. Apples and pears I say. Covenant is not exactly a walk in the park either. However, granted, the Gap is less mythic-fantastic and comes closer to 'reality'.

On the other hand, the readability one, the Gap is vividly more readable (yes that's a joke...).

• 2 weeks later...

SRD has a couple of novellas called The King's Justice that came out in 2015.  I just finished it, and he certainly hasn't lost his ability to portray wounded characters or moral ambiguities.

This is an author that could make me feel disquiet while reading the phone book to me. 

• 6 months later...

Archived