NaNoWriMo 2013: Who's in?

Minaku

I'm doing horribly, like every year. I just have a hard time if I don't see the complete story in my head. Which I understand is the point of NaNo -- just write anyway. I wrote a few hundred words and then a software crash while I was copying and pasting it from one to part of scrivener to another, so lost that.

But yesterday an idea for a totally silly fantasy / sci-fi mashup came to me and since I see most of the story in my head I'm going to use that as my NaNo novel, and save my serious one for after. Outlining the silly one now, calling it The Invasion.

Trying to catch up, made a little forward progress today, although not enough. Also found out that apparently this kingdom is going to be under attack from mysterious possible-demon raiders from across a previously uncrossable ocean. Yeah. Don't know where I'm going with that!

ETA: Oh and I may have given one of my main characters a gay love interest. Not sure where I'm going with that either!

ETA: Oh and I may have given one of my main characters a gay love interest. Not sure where I'm going with that either!

You don't have to know where you're going with gay love interests, I find, same as you don't need to know where you're going with straight love interests. Characters are more or less sexual people regardless of their orientation, and their partners enter and leave stories as and when is appropriate.

Does a collection of interrelated stories count as a novel?

I say yes!

I didn't have a productive weekend due to Being Very Busy. However, I am Being Very Not Busy from tomorrow as I'm going on holiday for a week and a half: looking forward to catching up. A background character has just died and I'm figuring out how the fallout from that is going to intertwine with the actual plot.

You don't have to know where you're going with gay love interests, I find, same as you don't need to know where you're going with straight love interests. Characters are more or less sexual people regardless of their orientation, and their partners enter and leave stories as and when is appropriate.

Oh yes, I totally agree, but in this case I feel like it might kind of undermine part of the rest of the novel with regards to feminity vs masculinity (ie men in this world are not the dominant gender, and I don't want to make that equate to gay, but at the same time I think it would also make gay relationships much less stigmatized, ie lesbians vs gays, although not accepted). I think I'm going to go the route that he is "straight" but it is relatively common for men to have "pillow friendship" type arrangements, particularly as this character just got married as the 12th husband of a woman decades his senior. And now I'm thinking his female love interest is going to be the daughter of his male love interest, who is one of the older husbands. Cause why the fuck not? (This is not a particularly important plot line in the story, but I can't help but throw in dashes of romance!)

I just finished for the night, and I've mostly closed the gap from the hot mess of my writing last week- only a day off pace now, sitting just above 18,300. If I'm lucky I'll be able to close it entirely on the weekend if I don't get a chance to the rest of this week (and maybe, if I am very, very, very extra lucky and/or persistent, give myself a buffer before Thanksgiving so I don't need to spend my whole break writing while my family wants to actually talk to me!)

Awesome job everyone! Especially Minaku and Ella for being up there in the word counts!!!

I have fallen behind :lol: I write everyday for a little bit but I keep missing my word goals. I think I'll jump ahead and write a scene, then it tricks me because I feel like I have to catch up to it :lol:

Good luck everyone and keep going!!!!!

There's some good work going on here--very inspiring. I thought about jumping in, but I got enough projects on my hands. Currently I'm polishing the final draft of a novel I've been working on since early this year, I'm writing a screenplay for my scrip-writing class (and doing well, actually, I banged out 60 pages out of an estimated 90 in two weeks, maybe that counts as being part of NaNoWriMo), and I'm preparing some articles for a blog. You guys only write, right? There's no rewriting involved in Nano?

I'm way behind, but it's been a sickly, busy week and my energy for the giant-tree-thing gave out completely when I realized I really was not ever going to get serious about it and I have other stuff that's eminently finishable. So now I want to finish the 10-15k remaining in a novella I started in the summer, which is completely plotted out, down to the scene, because, for the love of christ, I have to finish something some time.

Thank you guys. The last two days have been very difficult. I'm not sure what I wrote, everything is shit, I was half-asleep for most of it (not joking, I found myself nodding off while typing) but at least tonight I made my word goal before I turned into a pumpkin. 24k. Onward and upward. Something is happening in my story soon I hope. 24k and I haven't even hit the top of the training arc.

I'm still a little behind, but I'm motivated again- thing have gone slightly awry in that I stalled out after a major plot point and went back to add a major section to the prologue (that seems to have evolved into chapter 1) cause that is what I felt inspired for and then wrote a new chapter 2 that will definitely replace the old chapter 2 as soon as Dec. 1 hits, but both get to stay in for the moment for word count purposes. And it looks likely that there's a new chapter 3 coming as well.

I figure as long as my total things written by the end of November make 50k, it's okay that as soon as I start editing my word count is likely to dip way down for a while.

We can do it!

Right :lol:

I'm so behind! I started weight lifting last week and on monday did waaaaaaaay too much work on my arms and could barely lift them for a few days. That is my excuse to myself for writing so little. This weekend will all be long writing sessions though :D

I just now caught up to the suggested pace (28333) and passed it slightly.

Oof.

And certain friends who are being delightful nuisances about it are poking at me to try to get me to hit 30k tonight. Wheeeee!

I hope all of you are on track for your own goals! We're halfway there (or more!)

Well, word count-wise, I've lost Nano. But seeing that I've written more over the last two weeks than the last 9 months, I'm calling it a personal win.

Hope to keep it up over the next few weeks and beyond.

Archived