Queen Shireen and the Shaggydog

Petyr Patter

Shaggydog is the name of Rickon Stark's direwolf. A shaggy dog story, however, is a long, rambling story that ultimately has no payoff. Now, for a three year old to name a direwolf Shaggydog is almost a joke and represents Rickon's development at the time. Or, perhaps George Martin is hinting at something to come. Is Rickon's story arc throughout A Song of Ice and Fire ultimately pointless?

Ah, but Martin has written A Song of Ice and Fire to subvert literary cliches. Is Rickon the subversion of a shaggy dog story? The two major elements are “a long rambling story” and “pointless conclusion.” The “long rambling story” is NOT present. Rickon is the least developed Stark, partly due to his age. He hasn't been defenestrated, betrothed to a madman, taught exotic ways to kill, crowned, or communed with a tree. He might have had his own adventure in Skaagos, but it occurred “off page.” Mostly, he runs around being wild and young.

Considering the lack of a shaggy dog story for the master of Shaggydog so far, perhaps the second element will also be subverted, meaning Rickon's story is going to have an enormous payoff. What follows is one possible conclusion to the events of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Queen Shireen Baratheon of the Seven Kingdoms and King Consort Rickon Stark.

I can't recall if I came up with this theory on my own, or if I read it somewhere in the forum. Regardless, the theory of a Shireen and Rickon bethrothal/marriage before her ascension to the Throne has a lot to recommend it. For starters, it lets the North and Stannis arrive at a mutually agreeable situation that they can both fight behind. The Northern lords wanted independence, but it wanted independence from a throne that took fealty for granted and had executed the last TWO Lord Starks of Winterfell. Would the North still want a “King in the North” when a Stark is sitting on or next to the Iron Throne? I don't think so. Stannis also knows should he fall, his daughter is not going to inspire much loyalty, she's to young, female, ugly, and distant regardless of how much gold the Iron Bank loans out. Should Davos come through and deliver Rickon to Stannis, then expect Stannis to insist on a betrothal almost immediately. Now, the Lords in the North fight for the Iron Throne and for House Stark.

And Rickon is in many ways an ideal match anyways. For starters, he's not a bastard born of incest. His lineage is pretty much unquestioned, he's the son of Eddard Stark and the grandson of Hoster Tully. That is pretty much the highest nobility outside of royalty. He's also healthy, robust, and we have every reason to believe capable of fathering children, in 10 years or so. He's also a third son, so not in line to inherit his father's keep and title. That's another reason I like this end game. It gives a place for the remaining Stark sons. Bran becomes Lord of Winterfell as is his birthright now, while Rickon goes and fathers a line of kings and lords and bringing the Northern way to King's Landing.

They also have a complimenting skill set, though this can be hard to piece out from the little page space they've been given and their young ages. Shireen is described as an intelligent administrator, while Rickon has a gregarious and wild personality. If he's anything like his Uncle Brandon (which I suspect is the case), he's going to make a lot of friends and have his enemies pissing in their britches. Especially with a reputation as a cannibal. I mean, its one thing to rebel against a king, but to rebel against a king that will eat you? True or not, the rumor would provide stability.

Would the rest of Westeros buy into these two as king and queen? Not right now, no. Certainly the North would be on board, and a large enough army would receive a ton of Riverlord support. Additional events would need to happen. Stannis making a deal with House Harlaw could bring the Ironmen to heal. The Stormlords follow Robert's “son” Tommen for now, but should he die as prophesied to Cersei by Maggy the Frog then they would back Stannis once more. Sansa through her marriage to Tyrion or her relationship with Robert Arryn or a future marriage to Harold Hardyung could deliver the Westerlands or the Vale. The Reach and Dorne would be the hardest holdouts, but we have two long books to go.

Then there is the recurring relationship between House Stark and House Baratheon throughout the series and history. Some say Brandon the Builder raised Storm's End for the ancient Storm Kings. More recently, there have been several attempts to join House Stark and House Baratheon through marriage. Lyanna was betrothed to Robert. Sansa was betrothed to Joffrey, though that was doomed to fail on account of Joffrey not being a Baratheon.

Plus, Starks and Baratheons just keep finding ways to run into each other. Eddard and Robert were warded at the Eyrie with each other. Gendry and Arya traveled the Riverlands together for quite some time, where they ran into another one of Robert's bastards at the pillow house The Peach. Sansa is now in company with Robert's first bastard Mya Stone. Jon commanded the Wall with Stannis, and met his daughter, the true Baratheon heir.

Finally, there is the fact the series began with the rather ominous “sign from the gods.” A large stag was killed by a bitch direwolf, only the same direwolf was found dead with the stag's antler killing her. Yet, the mother wolf gave birth to 6 pups, possibly posthumously. Admittedly, this is very grim sort of sign. Still, it shows that House Stark and House Baratheon have a deeper connection.

So, it certainly makes sense politically, even Stannis would find it an acceptable match, a Stark-Baratheon relationship has been foreshadowed, but does it make sense in terms of narrative? Specifically, the narrative that Martin is writing, which is trying to be realistic and avoid cliches when it doesn't actively subvert them. Yes, because if Rickon ends up on the Iron Throne, he would have successfully subverted the shaggy dog tale. It also lets him give the throne to someone very unexpected, yet not entirely antagonistic to his readers. Watching Rickon leave Winterfell and his family to go to King's Landing and deal with the realm's mess does sound “bittersweet.” It also probably means Daenerys doesn't become queen.

Well, I've think I've expounded upon this idea enough for a first post. Anyone else like it or hate it or just don't see it?

I have thought about this aswell. But I think some things would have to be considered.

I doubt Stannis would want the throne going to the Starks and I don't think there is a chance for the king to have both the throne & winterfell.

If this would succeed Stannis would still have to find a stark for Winterfell. As Brann is "dead"

But it's a likely marriage, something that Stannis would probably consider.

Edit : On what you say about cannabalism, that wouldn't help his rule. The faith would rebell and many lords would see Rickon as a demon. If he is known as a canibal no lords will support him.

I like it (although my endgame ship is Rickon + Margaery), and I think it would be a smart move by Stannis' part. Right now he really needs to start making marriage alliances like crazy. Selyse has already taken the lead in that department with the wildlings and there's also the hint of Asha and Justin Massey. So yes, I think a Rickon + Shireen bethrodal would go a long way into cementing their alliance.

OK, let me develop some of my thoughts.

I have thought about this aswell. But I think some things would have to be considered.

I doubt Stannis would want the throne going to the Starks and I don't think there is a chance for the king to have both the throne & winterfell.

The Throne would go to Shireen, but she's going to need a husband and children anyways. As long as her descendents are secure on the throne, I don't think Stannis would let a name change (or not, naming convention aren't in stone) be a dealbreaker. Considering the poorer reputation women have in leadership roles, Shireen's husband would inevitably be an active political force.

If this would succeed Stannis would still have to find a stark for Winterfell.

Brandon. I firmly believe Brandon will re-emerge from that cave, at which point he is the lawful heir to Winterfell. Assuming he is indeed unable to have children, then the a second son of Rickon and Shireen will be in line to inherit Winterfell, and possibly comically large ears.

But it's a likely marriage, something that Stannis would probably consider.

Edit : On what you say about cannabalism, that wouldn't help his rule. The faith would rebell and many lords would see Rickon as a demon. If he is known as a canibal no lords will support him.

Oh, actual cannabalism would be bad, but a reputation for canabalism might be good. The Faith wouldn't like it, but Seven kingdoms need a larger the life figure to reunite them and force peace, and a "monstrous" reputation combined with actual friendliness and good sense might be just what the realm needs.

Rickon and Shireen...A perfect match. I think by the end of the series all other Stark children will be dead or MIA, Bran beyond the wall, Sansa posing as Littlefinger's bastard/made trueborn daughter and Arya as a faceless man. So, Rickon can be the Stark at Winterfell. The Iron Throne goes to one of the other players, but the North belongs to Rickon. Stannis as a "truly jus man" will take the black and join the Night's Watch. The very first Baratheon was a bastard brother of the first Aegon...maybe Gendry is given Storms End after Aegon takes at the start of WOW.

OK, let me develop some of my thoughts.

as regards the naming. when one marries royal blood, one doesnt get the royal name. so, where this to happen, it would be

Queen Shireen Baratheon, King Consort Rickon Stark

Robert Baratheon, Eddard Baratheon, Jon Baratheon (you know it makes sense)

for instance, we already have

King Robert Baratheon, Queen Consort Cersei Lannister

Joffrey Baratheon, Tommen Baratheon, Myrcella Baratheon

Cersei can birth the blood royal and marry into it, but she can't get the royal name, same would apply to Rickon

Two things: 1. This theory is too incredibly neat and assumes that everyone in line to the IT before Shireen bites the dust. That list is currently fairly long (Tommen, Myrcella, Dany, (F)Aegon, Stannis, and possibly Jon), making it more unlikely.

2. Rickon doesn't have a rambling storyline. He doesn't have any storyline. His character is underdeveloped and will continue to be so due to his age. Also due to his age we will never see him as an adult, let alone him as Royal Consort. GRRM's LOTR criticism is that we never see Aragorn's tax policy, the things that made him a good king. With Rickon we would not even get a good grip on whether he would be a decent person, let alone a capable co-ruler or decent royal arm candy. Narratively this ending would totally be a cop-out.

I like this theory, mainly because I love the idea of Rickon and Shireen both being in power. Plus, I think Davos will establish a strong relationship with Rickon. And if (more like when :() Stannis dies, he will continue to support Shireen. I almost wonder if Davos could arrange this match.

Either way, I hope this works out.

I like it (although my endgame ship is Rickon + Margaery),

They just keep getting younger and younger don't they ;)

Rickon is Bran's heir as Lord of Winterfell. Bran is incapable of having children. Ned says (paraphrasing) "Bran can be a great lord, a genius builder like Bran the Builder, an Archmaester, the Hight Septon, but he will never run alongside his wolf again, he will never hold a son in his arms." Again, that's not the exact quote, but it's the gist of it.

Rickon is Bran's heir as Lord of Winterfell. Bran is incapable of having children. Ned says (paraphrasing) "Bran can be a great lord, a genius builder like Bran the Builder, an Archmaester, the Hight Septon, but he will never run alongside his wolf again, he will never hold a son in his arms." Again, that's not the exact quote, but it's the gist of it.

We don't know that Bran is impotent or infertile. His legs are paralyzed, but we know nothing of his sexual apparatus. The Ned wasn't a urologist to the best of my knowledge.

Two things: 1. This theory is too incredibly neat and assumes that everyone in line to the IT before Shireen bites the dust. That list is currently fairly long (Tommen, Myrcella, Dany, (F)Aegon, Stannis, and possibly Jon), making it more unlikely.

2. Rickon doesn't have a rambling storyline. He doesn't have any storyline. His character is underdeveloped and will continue to be so due to his age. Also due to his age we will never see him as an adult, let alone him as Royal Consort. GRRM's LOTR criticism is that we never see Aragorn's tax policy, the things that made him a good king. With Rickon we would not even get a good grip on whether he would be a decent person, let alone a capable co-ruler or decent royal arm candy. Narratively this ending would totally be a cop-out.

1. Your list is a little overdeveloped. It goes, Stannis, then Shireen. And Shireen has every reasonable expectation to outlive her father. All the rest are modern usurpers using an army to enforce their claim. And, yes, I do expect Stannis to die at some point in the next two books. I'm also pretty sure the rest of the cast of pretenders will get themselves killed. If history repeats itself with a "dance of dragons," then Aegon the Maybe and Daenerys will reduce themselves to one. Tommen and Myrcella are prophesied to die, and I'm pretty sure Varys has a scheme to kill Tommen in place to pave the way for Aegon's claim. Jon is needed on the Wall, and won't leave his duty to play the game of thrones.
  2. I certainly agree. Rickon is an undeveloped character existing most in the background. I'm certain that Martin is not going to give the Iron Throne to anyone who has been front and center so far in the series, but he still needs a character that makes sense. Shireen certainly makes sense, and Rickon makes a lot of sense as her betrothed.

I don't think it is meant as a "happy ever after" scenario. But marrying Rickon to Shireen and securing the North's allegiance (and rewarding them for being the first of the non-Baratheon regions to swear fealty to him) is a rather obvious political move.

I do not understand why do people want Rickon to marry Shireen, He has the wolf's blood like his uncle Brandon Stark what makes you guys think that Rickon would agree to marry Shireen. He will most probably sleep around, and marry someone he loves. If he goes to Skagos and gets along with the people over there and get fostered by the Skagosi then you are forgetting sthg, Skagosi will have same response to Shireens grey scale as Val and i don't see anyone marrying Shireen as sweet and innocent as she maybe.

I do not understand why do people want Rickon to marry Shireen, He has the wolf's blood like his uncle Brandon Stark what makes you guys think that Rickon would agree to marry Shireen. He will most probably sleep around, and marry someone he loves. If he goes to Skagos and gets along with the people over there and get fostered by the Skagosi then you are forgetting sthg, Skagosi will have same response to Shireens grey scale as Val and i don't see anyone marrying Shireen as sweet and innocent as she maybe.

Firstly, we don't know that much about Rickon to say that he would sleep around, which I highly doubt. It seems you have forgotten how honourable Ned Stark was, and how honourable his children even became after him, so I'd presume Rickon would be too, even if he was a bit wild. Secondly, he is not being fostered at Skagos, he is in hiding there, like Sansa is hiding in the Vale, Arya in Braavos, and Bran beyond the Wall. Thirdly, even if he was being fostered at Skagos, we don't know that they would have the same reaction to her greyscale, and Finally, yes someone of course will marry Shireen, and it well possibly could be Rickon. People don't really marry for love in Westeros, as you probably have witnessed, they are more so political arrangements, and a political arrangement between Rickon Stark and Shireen Baratheon seems pretty viable and would be a good alliance too.

Yeah, I could definitely see a Rickon-Shireen pairing, especially considering the prominence that's been given to Shireen in the show .

Whether or not Stannis would approve of it is moot imo, as he'll be dead by that time and the match will most likely be Davos' idea.

Just hope we actually care about the Rickon character by that point, as right now the idea of him being king at the end seems likely but kind of disappointing, since I don't feel invested in the character at all. Maybe that's the point.

Archived