lizard lions are not crocodiles

Tommen Beetsbane

many people believe that lizard lions are just crocodiles, but there are already crocodiles. it was part of the peace feast dany had after the marriage at mereen. this means lizard lions are a completely different species, what species thats the question
"A dozen different sorts of meat and fish were served: camel, crocodile, singing squid, lacquered ducks and spiny grubs, with goat and ham and horse for those whose tastes were less exotic"

many people believe that lizard lions are just crocodiles, but there are already crocodiles. it was part of the peace feast dany had after the marriage at mereen. this means lizard lions are a completely different species, what species thats the question

"A dozen different sorts of meat and fish were served: camel, crocodile, singing squid, lacquered ducks and spiny grubs, with goat and ham and horse for those whose tastes were less exotic"

It's weird how you use crocodiles being served in Meereen to Dany who has never lived in Westeros and knows stuff about it through stories as proof. Meereen (and their language) does not equal Westeros (and their language).

In any case, I'm 100% certain that we all recognize the type of animal being described when lizard lion is mentioned, even if we use crocodile, alligator, or komodo dragon interchangeably. Most people know there is a difference, but it really doesn't matter unless we are in a zoology forum.

Presumably they are creatures with a life cycle that allows the species to survive a northerly environment, notwithstanding extended winters. This seems to rule out most fresh-water aquatic air-breathers, including crocodiles and even alligators. It might not rule out a fantasy animal with certain survival adaptations, such as migratory tendencies (the Neck adjoins the ocean) and/or eggs that can somehow survive winter temperatures, or anything else that you can imagine.

I would imagine they look vaguely crocodilian, or else many artists have been misled. But that might only be a natural result of convergent evolution. It is a surprising fact of evolution that many creatures that look very similar are not necessarily closely related.

My own assumption is that GRRM had wanted us to assume they were identical to any known real-world species, he would not have called them "Lizard Lions".

I noticed that too, but I just assumed that it was either a language difference, or that crocs are slightly different than lizard lions (like the difference between crocs and gators).

It's weird how you use crocodiles being served in Meereen to Dany who has never lived in Westeros and knows stuff about it through stories as proof. Meereen (and their language) does not equal Westeros (and their language).

In any case, I'm 100% certain that we all recognize the type of animal being described when lizard lion is mentioned, even if we use crocodile, alligator, or komodo dragon interchangeably. Most people know there is a difference, but it really doesn't matter unless we are in a zoology forum.

Wait, when has Komodo Dragon ever been interchangeable with Crocodile?

Wait, when has Komodo Dragon ever been interchangeable with Crocodile?

"interchangeable" is not the word that should have been used, especially after I tossed in kimodo dragon after I had written the post and only because someone else had tossed that out. Basically, what I mean is that we all have similar images of what lizard-lions are, whether it's alligator, crocodile, or kimodo dragon. We each are educated to know these are all different creatures, even if we don't have the specific knowledge to identify exactly why they are different.

Still, I don't think there's a controversy over what these lizard-lions refer to, which the OP seems to think. I would think that we'd all assume one of a few different types of species, based on where we're from or what sort of knowledge we have. It's just a really weird thread.

Archived