lizard lions are not crocodiles

Tommen Beetsbane

I always guessed they were a Planetos animal that was like an alligator with some sort of frilled neck to them as some sort of mane.

Otherwise you would think they would be called swap dragons or something. People know what dragons look like, and obviously lizards so it would need to have something that at least reminded them of a lion.

Just like there are Direwolves and Wolves in the books, there are Lizard Lions and Crocodiles. I don't believe they are Alligators though, they are probably much bigger and menacing than the average swamp/bog reptile. If anything they are probably a type of prehistoric ancestor of actual crocodiles and/or alligators.

• 11 months later...
On 10/21/2013 at 5:16 AM, Alhazred said:

Presumably they are creatures with a life cycle that allows the species to survive a northerly environment, notwithstanding extended winters. This seems to rule out most fresh-water aquatic air-breathers, including crocodiles and even alligators. It might not rule out a fantasy animal with certain survival adaptations, such as migratory tendencies (the Neck adjoins the ocean) and/or eggs that can somehow survive winter temperatures, or anything else that you can imagine.

Alligators can hibernate in cold conditions, but I agree not for years. However the neck might have geothermal pockets that create a more tolerable microclimate for both Lizard Lions and Crannogmen.

Edit: I didn't realise this was a necro.

• 2 weeks later...
On October 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM, E-Ro said:

To continue, I disagree that we all got the image of an alligator or crocodile in our heads after reading lizard lion. To me, A lizard lion was an iguana, a really big iguana with teeth like that of a lions.

Iguana?  You seem to have an odd idea about iguanas, but that may just be due to my own familiarity with the species.

On October 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM, PeterPaulGualtieri said:

This looks like a croc to me.

We have a winner folks, although there could be some debate about artist interpretation etc but looking like partially submerged logs floating still in the water makes me think of only one viable earth based analog for this. 

An animal in the order crocodilia.  

On 22/10/2013 at 5:53 PM, butterbumps! said:
On 22/10/2013 at 5:04 PM, Undead Ned With No Head said:

So I'm confused is Benjen the Mexican staring frog of Southern Sri Lonka or not

yes, and he's currently in the Neck because the Wall didn't have a log flume.

I am the deadly Mexican Lizard Lion...of The Neck. I am very scary... and dangerous!

Here is a quote from A Beast For Norn, one of GRRMs earlier stories in the Tuf Voyaging series:

Tuf lifted his rented binoculars to his eyes, and saw the lizard-lion scrabble forward—two meters of scaled green reptile with a whiplike tail thrice its own length and the long snout of an Old Earth alligator. Its jaws opened and closed soundlessly, displaying an array of impressive teeth.

This is not to say for certain the Lizard-Lions of A Beast for Norn and Planetos are the same, but I think it's a reasonable assumption. So it's similar to an alligator but has a more disproportionate tail which it uses to attack with.

On 3/8/2016 at 10:50 PM, BricksAndSparrows said:

This thread has 7 pages.....

Agreed.

On 4/8/2016 at 8:55 AM, GallowsKnight said:

Alligators can hibernate in cold conditions, but I agree not for years. However the neck might have geothermal pockets that create a more tolerable microclimate for both Lizard Lions and Crannogmen.

Edit: I didn't realise this was a necro.

And it is more or less my fault, exumating it in 2015, I promise I didn't notice that back then... How did I end on it anyway?

Archived