US Politics: Top-Down Class Warfare?

The guy from the Vale

No rounding for libertarians!

The sponsor of the final debate of the Virginia governor’s race, citing a public backlash to the Libertarian candidate’s exclusion, has asked the major-party candidates to consider letting him participate. But Robert Sarvis still appears unlikely to be included in the event because of ongoing opposition from Ken Cuccinelli II’s campaign.

Cuccinelli ® and Terry McAuliffe (D) will meet Thursday at Virginia Tech’s Blacksburg campus for their third debate of the contest, sponsored by WDBJ-TV, the Roanoke CBS affiliate. Sarvis did not make the cut, WDBJ announced Oct. 10, because he failed to meet the threshold established in rules negotiated by Cuccinelli, McAuliffe and WDBJ.

The rules required that Sarvis average at least 10 percent in public polls, a standard he missed by a fraction of a point. (As of Saturday evening, Sarvis’s poll average on the RealClearPolitics Web site was 9.8 percent.)

On the one hand, McAliffie is pretty clearly the favorite at this point, and I don't want anything, however unlikely, upsetting that. On the other hand, that's some bullshit right there. Sarvis almost certainly won't come close to winning, but he's a viable candidate at this point and should be allowed to make his case for voting for him.

Wow. I know it shouldn't, but it amazes me that people flat out lie just because they don't like a policy. Even more so that a "news" outlet would play it as fact

I think your quotes are well placed; Fox is not a new outlet but an entertainment source. (Or, at best, "infotainment.") The network has copious incentives to put on this kind of farce, and no reason to fear the consequences. Their audience already believes that the ACA is the work of Satan, so even if they were to accept that these six couples were lying, they'd simply assert that the core truth of Obamacare's sinister evil is still evident. So there's little reason for Hannity to be any less dishonest than he is.

No rounding for libertarians!

On the one hand, McAliffie is pretty clearly the favorite at this point, and I don't want anything, however unlikely, upsetting that. On the other hand, that's some bullshit right there. Sarvis almost certainly won't come close to winning, but he's a viable candidate at this point and should be allowed to make his case for voting for him.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch surveyed the three candidates for governor, and chose... "None of the above."

Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli rigged the process for the Republican nomination when his minions changed the system from a primary to a convention, which they considered more likely to produce their desired outcome. The switch mocked Cuccinelli’s advertised fealty to first principles. The expression of raw power would have delighted sachems of Tammany Hall. Virginia does not welcome an in-your-face governor.

McAuliffe received the Democratic nomination by default. His bid for the 2009 nod failed miserably. A weak bench left him as the only one in 2013’s game. Republican gerrymandering contributed to this. When they redrew electoral maps after the 2010 census, Republicans in the House of Delegates eviscerated the district held by Ward Armstrong, floor leader of the chamber’s Democrats.

If Armstrong had not lost his seat, he would have rated as a formidable candidate for governor. The Times-Dispatch would have endorsed him over Cuccinelli; we would have endorsed Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling over McAuliffe.

Libertarian Robert Sarvis has neither embarrassed himself nor insulted the commonwealth. He lacks the experience the job demands, however.

Moreover, while The Times-Dispatch finds considerable merit in the libertarian ethos, the libertarian ideology is a luxury afforded by a political, economic and social climate that, despite the nation’s commitment to liberty, was not created by libertarian doctrine. We fear Sarvis would be in over his head.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion/our-opinion/today-s-top-opinion-the-election-forgetting-by-the-election/article_6a2c5e41-20f3-561a-a25d-52eedf4741f3.html

This is a nice look at Fox Noise's utter lack of concern with facts.

Thanks for the link.

So this is no surprise to anyone that the talking shows on Fox cable news has little to no journalistic integrity, but it is still nice to get confirmatory evidence once in a while.

What is striking with this story is that the people interviewed were against the PPACA to the degree that they refuse to explore the possibility that the insurance exchange might save them money and/or give them more benefits. That's mind-blowing to me. It's like the Capital One commercial with Jimmy Fallon - who doesn't like to save money?

But really, this story also serves as a vaccine against all the stories floating around on how premiums are going up for so many people or how so many businesses are suffering, etc. It turns out, some of these people are saying this based not on facts, but on ideologies. Quel surprise.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch surveyed the three candidates for governor, and chose... "None of the above."

http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion/our-opinion/today-s-top-opinion-the-election-forgetting-by-the-election/article_6a2c5e41-20f3-561a-a25d-52eedf4741f3.html

Although since the RTD's editorial board is conservative and nearly always endorses the GOP, this is pretty much a tacit endorsement of McAuffile.

What is striking with this story is that the people interviewed were against the PPACA to the degree that they refuse to explore the possibility that the insurance exchange might save them money and/or give them more benefits. That's mind-blowing to me. It's like the Capital One commercial with Jimmy Fallon - who doesn't like to save money?

I know! It's like these folks are determined to let the insurance companies continue to jack them up in order to...I don't even know. Punish Obama? Sock it to Health and Human Services? It's insane.

Of course, I suspect had a Republican president been behind this legislation, they'd sing a different tune, because these folks are a choir of crazy.

So there's little reason for Hannity to be any less dishonest than he is.

Yep. I remember reading the stories by the Fox News mole (apologies if that's not the correct link, for some reason Salon refuses to load on my work computer) who worked for O'Reilly for a while. The one thing I recall taking from that is O'Reilly was the type who needed to be convinced that certain talking points were correct to run with them and once he did he was like a mastiff in that he didn't let it go. Hannity, on the other hand, is a complete and utter shill for all things GOP. Doesn't matter what it is, if he's told to say it and that it will benefit the GOP, he will spew it out as gospel with that ridiculous smirk on his face. Absolutely no integrity with that clown.

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/11/no-health-insurance-exchange-no.html

I don't know if this has been posted or mentioned yet but I'm getting real sick of the republicans trying to do anything and everything to get rid of the ACA. Now they're trying to exploit some vagueness in the wording of the law so that the exchanges can not be set up federally. Which means every state can choose to not set up exchanges and continue crippling out health care system.

I don't know if this has been posted or mentioned yet but I'm getting real sick of the republicans trying to do anything and everything to get rid of the ACA. Now they're trying to exploit some vagueness in the wording of the law so that the exchanges can not be set up federally. Which means every state can choose to not set up exchanges and continue crippling out health care system.

This is like some fairy-tale plot where if you can just get Rumplestiltskin to say his name, all his magic will be undone and he'll vanish like smoke. It's crazy, and I have to doubt that any court is going to strike down a law the Supreme Court has already vetted based on some hyper-literal reading.

s a vaccine against all the stories floating around on how premiums are going up for so many people

my firm is ditching its group plan and going on the exchange, i think. everyone's preimuim at the firm will drop substantially, except for mine, which will rise slightly, as i am generally the youngest and most healthy. i suppose i should write fox news about my horror story: oh, it's all about me! and mineminemine! indulge my self-centered animalistic imaginary! this is egotistical asshole speaking!

:

This is the first I've heard of this avenue of attack. Sadly, the law is not exactly all that well written so it leaves holes to be exploted. Even more sad, though, is the insane lengths those who oppose it will go to derail the whole program. I fear that the whole law we fail before it has even been a chance to show if it could even be moderately effective. Then we will be stuck with the shit-stain of a health-care system we've been living with and no one will have the courage to approach health reform again for at least another 20 years. Of course, the conservative media will almost immediately revise history to declare the ACA a complete failure without ever mentioning that it was destroyed by obstructionists using every tactic they could devise.

yeah, I'm not cycnical at all about this situation. Not at all. I wish I could hope that some good will come out of this, but I just don't see it right now.

I dont blame you for being cynical davos. I dont see this actually working, but i feel like the new strategy in the repub party is to keep trying until the american people get so fed up with it that they decide that it is better to just scrap the whole thing to shut the right wingers up. I have no idea how this will play out though. But i see a lot more similar tactics in the future.

DG,

It really depends on who your dealing with and the crazies have pushed many of the more rational reasonable people out. For example those who recognize that devolving power from the federal to the State and local level has to be done in a planned organized manner and those who think kicking over the anthill would be just awesome.

But, in the end you're right the "Tea Party" is looking more and more fascist as it developes.

Archived