the tattered prince

Tommen Beetsbane

I think he's just a prince with high hopes of reforming the way of government in Pentos, by turning the figure of the prince into something more powerful than just a symbolic character, while taking some power from the magisters in the process.

I also think his subplot will be important for the necessary tension that's likely to happen between Dany and Aegon.

his backstory claims to be a runaway prince,but then why is he bent on getting back pentos? how did the windblown even come together? Is he the only founder or the surving founder,and did he possibly kill the others to use this army to win back pentos?

He wants to be Prince of Pentos only without the tradition of being sacrificed when the crop fails or a war is lost. He wants to be more than just a figurehead, he wants to be the one calling the shots like Jon of the Dead said.

I think it may be from him that we learn of Aegon's true origins and identity. Tatters might have been related to Illyrio's first wife, or been blackmailed or forced to leave Pentos by Illyrio and Varys, and he has been keeping tabs on the city ever since.

I think it may be from him that we learn of Aegon's true origins and identity. Tatters might have been related to Illyrio's first wife, or been blackmailed or forced to leave Pentos by Illyrio and Varys, and he has been keeping tabs on the city ever since.

:agree:

I like the idea of him being a victim of Illyrio and Varys' blackmail/thievery shenanigans back in the day, and that he's also looking for revenge.

I totally agree that Tatters is going to somehow solidify the fact that it will be Aegon Vs. Dany and not A+D=IT. In what capacity, well I can't truly guess. I doubt he will be a MAJOR player, but he will defiantly be a catalyst for rivalry. I don't know why I feel that, but I can just taste it when I hear about him.

(Though it doesn't REALLY matter since it was the Tattered Prince who got all crispy in the Barristan chapter, not Quentyn.....please? I just want more Quentyn! :crying: )

He is the only surviving founding member of 4 mentioned in a Quentin chapter the Tattered Prince didn't kill them they just served in a mercenary company for 30+ years and I think he wants Pentos as he's getting to old to fight and it sounds like a good place to rule bar the prince killing shenanigans.

I am thinking the Tattered Prince is of an age with Ser Barristan. I am wondering if the Tattered Prince may have conspired to take Pentos shortly after he fled. Could it be possible that the Tattered Prince was one of the Band of Nine? I am remembering a very old post by Ran suggesting that a new character would be revealed in Dance that would link an important tertiary character to the War of the Ninepenny Kings...

I am thinking the Tattered Prince is of an age with Ser Barristan. I am wondering if the Tattered Prince may have conspired to take Pentos shortly after he fled. Could it be possible that the Tattered Prince was one of the Band of Nine? I am remembering a very old post by Ran suggesting that a new character would be revealed in Dance that would link an important tertiary character to the War of the Ninepenny Kings...

yeah man that actually makes sense. all nine of the kings couldn't have died and someone would want pentos

• 3 weeks later...

yeah man that actually makes sense. all nine of the kings couldn't have died and someone would want pentos

But this would suggest that my suspicion is wrong (but not necessarily disprove it)...

"Bloodbeard." Ser Barristan's frown deepened. "If it please Your Grace, we want no part of him. Your Grace is too young to remember the Ninepenny Kings, but this Bloodbeard is cut from the same savage cloth. There is no honor in him, only hunger for gold, for glory, for blood." --Daenerys VII, Dance

Tatters was one of the other sellsword commanders in the theater. Why would Barristan think of Bloodbeard in the context of the WOT9PK but not Tatters if Tatters had neen one of the 9PK? On the other hand Barristan was not yet a KG and probably not a commander during the WOT9PK. He might just be comparing Bloodbeard to Maelys, whom Barristan apparently believed to be savage and without honor.

But this would suggest that my suspicion is wrong (but not necessarily disprove it)...

"Bloodbeard." Ser Barristan's frown deepened. "If it please Your Grace, we want no part of him. Your Grace is too young to remember the Ninepenny Kings, but this Bloodbeard is cut from the same savage cloth. There is no honor in him, only hunger for gold, for glory, for blood." --Daenerys VII, Dance

Tatters was one of the other sellsword commanders in the theater. Why would Barristan think of Bloodbeard in the context of the WOT9PK but not Tatters if Tatters had neen one of the 9PK? On the other hand Barristan was not yet a KG and probably not a commander during the WOT9PK. He might just be comparing Bloodbeard to Maelys, whom Barristan apparently believed to be savage and without honor.

the tp is not as bad as bloodbeard. GRRM said most sellswords company fall somewhere between the golden company(the best in terms of #,honor,and loyalty) and the Bloody Mummers(well...they're the bloody mummers), the windblown fall closer to he GC

That would make sense considering the prince's motivation. However, his story seems fairly well-known, so wouldn't it also be known that he was one of the band of nine? In that vain, considering the feelings Selmy has about the band and the fact that he refuses to associate with someone that reminds him of them, wouldn't he have a much stronger reaction to someone who was actually one of them? It's not like he has respect for Tatters, but he doesn't seem to dislike him more than the average sellsword.

I may remember wrong but I think it was slaying Maelys that propelled Selmy to the KG.

• 2 weeks later...

No I don't think so, not one of the Band of Nine. If we consider what the Nine were, a coalition of powerful people, and the timing of things and how he fled Pentos (presumably a refugee with nothing to offer), it's an extremely unlikely stretch that Tatters could have become powerful/rich/influential enough person to figure into the Nine.

I think it's probable he fought in the war though. We're told he's well past 60 and ran from Pentos when he was 23 to the disputed lands. It puts him rather nicely in the range of the war. I think it's also worth considering why we're given his approximate age now and his exact age when he left for the disputed lands, in contrast Varys and Illyrio's ages are kept very obscured. I can't help think it's all very purposeful.

Well, I like the Tattered Prince, foot chopping and all. He had the sense not to be prepared to be a sacrificial prince and keep his mercenary force going all these years, I am glad he has a grand plan to take Pentos. I don't know if Pentos needs a change of rule though.

Archived