NFL Week 8: End of the Weeden Dynasty

sperry

So yea, definitely not a terrible team but clearly a team that needs a decent QB to compete. Defense is close but the offense will continue to be a problem until they get someone who can get rid of the ball quickly and I don't think Campbell is that guy.

I haven't seen much of Campbell since he left Washington (maybe 1 game with the Raiders), but I don't remember Campbell being a "hold the ball way too long" kinda guy. A lot of Redskins fans would call him Captain Checkdown, but his internal clock was usually good. I remember in Washington that usually he would have one primary route, and if that wasn't open he would check it down. He was strong enough that he wasn't easy to tackle (although we're not talking Rothlisberger kinda difficulty), which meant that overall he wasn't sacked readily. Which was a good thing, because our O line was terrible for most of his tenure in DC.

Having watched two seasons of Campbell and two games of Weedon, I'm very confident that Campbell gives the Browns a better chance to win. Now, Campbell might only lead them from 3-4 to 6-10, but that is better than you're gonna get with Weedon. The only question I would ask is whether winning those extra games with a quarterback you know isn't the future really helps your team. If the Browns go 4-12 and have the #5 pick, that might be better for them long term. Although they might balk at trading away picks of actual value to get Bridgewater and just settle for Manziel with the Colts 1st rounder instead. That might work out, right?

Good All-22 look at Calvin Johnson and AJ Green play last week. They both ended up with 155 yards receiving and were impossible to stop.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/23/aj-green-calvin-johnson-breakdown/?sct=nfl_bf4_a4

On a side note, what the hell is happening to this board? The quote system is out of whack again. I don't have any options to add links to posts. It's frustrating me to no end.

Imagine the Browns with Alex Smith.

I'm not even kidding.

There but for the Chiefs go they...

Alex Smith: your concierge to offensive competence!

I mean, I think Aaron Rodgers still wins out in the "2005 presumptive top QBs" derby, but it's a far cry from where we thought Smith would end up when he was buried in the Nolan and Singletary eras.

So Broncos have their second big reunion game in as many weeks - Mike Shanahan comes back to Denver for the first time since he got fired. It's not the same level like Peyton Manning returning to the franchise he pretty much built, but Shanny was still the pivotal reason the Broncos have two Superbowl trophies on their mantle instead of existing in the same hell the Bills and Vikings continue to live in.

If the fans don't cheer him, they're nuts.

1. Funnily enough, the rest of that draft and UDFA period was pretty good. Schwartz, Winn, Kitchen, Hughes, and Gipson have all played pretty well for us. Hell, Travis Benjamin has even turned into a solid returner.

Yeah, I don't mean to imply Holmgren's time was a total failure. He did pretty well with some of the less obvious picks likeincluding getting Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft and Jordan Cameron late. Phil Taylor, Joe Haden and Alex Mack ain't bad either. But he was deservedly fired for botching the biggest thing and the thing that has held the Browns back forever - QB.

Have the Browns had a legit QB since Bernie Kosar???

Tim Couch is the best guy I can think of off the top of my head

To me Kosar was the last QB for the Browns you could say was above average.

Fun fact - that's also true if you go with the Ravens as the successor of the Browns history. (I kid. Joe Flacco is above average....just barely.)

To me Kosar was the last QB for the Browns you could say was above average.

Fun fact - that's also true if you go with the Ravens as the successor of the Browns history. (I kid. Joe Flacco is above average....just barely.)

Dagger. Heart.

BTW, I'm not imagining things. FO has the Redskins on pace to have the second worst special teams all time. The only one worse was the hilariously awful 2010 Chargers special teams that sabotaged game after game for what was otherwise a pretty loaded Chargers team. In DVOA terms, Redskins special teams have had as much impact on the Redskins winning and losing as the Chiefs defense has had on their winning.

This shit is unacceptable. I know cap penalties, Lorenzo Alexander and all but at this point Keith Burns needs to prove he's not completely incompetent in his role.

Bucs fans visit team facility to tell coaches how to use Revis.

Besides the obvious shocker that there are allegedly enough Bucs fans to make an "uproar", I think it's hilarious and indicative of this absurd Bucs team. Revis is wasted in Tampa.

Maybe this means the Jets can afford to resign him in the off-season. We'll finally be rid of that AWFUL Sanchez contract, and I'm sure Revis' value won't be as much as if he stayed with Rex to begin with. So far, John Iznik is doing good things. Trading to get Sheldon Richardson seems to have paid off so far.

Maybe this means the Jets can afford to resign him in the off-season. We'll finally be rid of that AWFUL Sanchez contract, and I'm sure Revis' value won't be as much as if he stayed with Rex to begin with. So far, John Iznik is doing good things. Trading to get Sheldon Richardson seems to have paid off so far.

Revis signed a six year extension with the Bucs when they traded for him, so he is under contract with Tampa for a while.

They did, but only one year of guaranteed money. It's likely he walks after this year.

I don't understand. You mean he starts holding out and demands to be released? Guaranteed money or not, he's still under contract for a long time, he can't just start shopping around for teams.

Fuck you ESPN for splashing a picture of Brett Favre all over your front page and making me worried that he was actually coming back again (the Rams apparently called him after Bradford got injured; he said no). Its not like there's World Series going on, an ongoing NHL season, an about-to-start NBA season, or an actual NFL game tonight; let's just throw a picture of Favre up there.

And a hearty fuck you to the Rams as well for even trying to summon this nonsense into our lives again.

Fuck you ESPN for splashing a picture of Brett Favre all over your front page and making me worried that he was actually coming back again (the Rams apparently called him after Bradford got injured; he said no). Its not like there's World Series going on, an ongoing NHL season, an about-to-start NBA season, or an actual NFL game tonight; let's just throw a picture of Favre up there.

And a hearty fuck you to the Rams as well for even trying to summon this nonsense into our lives again.

But it allows me to link to this epic Brett Favre video just one more time. So it's not all bad.

I don't understand. You mean he starts holding out and demands to be released? Guaranteed money or not, he's still under contract for a long time, he can't just start shopping around for teams.

Revis did that TWICE with the Jets. The second time he did that was when he had TWO years left in his contract. Tampa may just want to release or trade him since the contract also protects them against a lame duck. It's not that Revis is doing "bad" with them, it's that they're not using him in a way that allows him to cancel out #1 receivers. Tampa, for whatever reason, decided to give up a first round pick for a shutdown corner, only to use him in zone coverage.

Trading him or not will also depend on what the next regime down in Tampa decides to do. There's no way Schiano and Co. are going to make it through this year, let alone next year.

Here's his contract.

Archived