NFL Week 8: End of the Weeden Dynasty

sperry

Does anyone else think that this weeks games are lacking a little sizzle? I feel like this week looks a lot more like college football from a competition standpoint. A lot of the best teams are on byes, and a lot more are playing doormats. What is the marquee matchup this week?

Jets/Bengals? Both teams have a winning record, but I'm not sold on the Jets actually being good, and while the Bengals are indeed good, Andy Dalton isn't great to watch.

Cowboys/Lions? When the hype is all about the wide recievers trying to outdo one another (and didn't we do that last week Detroit?) it usually means the matchup lacks pop.

Broncos/Redskins? Shanahan's return to Denver is a great artificial storyline, but does anyone care? And while Manning and RG3 are great to watch, the outcome is....only charitably "in doubt".

All of these are fine matchups if you are a fan of one of those teams, but not terribly exciting from a general NFL standpoint. I'm not complaining (much), it's just unusual for the NFL to have so few exciting matchups, usually there are 5 or 6 games I'd really like to keep an eye on.

Yeah aside from a few matchups among Denver, NO, the Pats, SF and Seattle there really isn't much sizzle left in the regular season. Maybe if Carolina can really get rolling they can make it a little interesting, but that may not be very likely.

I see why you would think that, but the NFL has a way of slaying the midseason super bowl favorites. Plus, even if things hold more or less as they are now, whether it is NO @ Sea or Sea @ NO is going to make a HUGE difference.

Agreed that Carolina looks to be picking up steam, their defense is really solid. If Newton keeps clicking, they are going to be a really unpleasant playoff matchup.

So this article is based on mostly air, but I'll admit I'm intrigued anyway.

In recent weeks Redskins owner Dan Snyder has seemed to warm up to the idea of changing the Redskins name. So the report that a wealthy neighbor of his applied for a patent to lock down the name Washington Bravehearts is more than a little spicy.

According to TMZ, Aris Mardirossian, "a wealthy patent investor" who lives "a few doors down" from Dan Snyder, registered the name "WASHINGTON BRAVEHEARTS" on Oct. 17.

The patent license, per TMZ, is for "entertainment in the nature of football games."

TMZ also obtained the LLC filings (.PDF) for Washington Brave Hearts, LLC.

Could I root for the Washington Bravehearts? Yes I could. It's not terribly inspired, and conjures up images of a so-so 90s Dragon movie, but still, it's an improvement, and not totally soulless like the "Redhawks". We could keep the colors (which every fan I've ever spoken to says is essential) and maybe even the logo, although nobody really cares about that as much.

I personally would be happy about this change. And changing the name is going to happen, and unless Snyder sells the team or dies an early death, it will happen under his tenure. Because while Snyder loves the Redskins, he loves making money even more, and this name debacle is costing him money. But he's also a very stubborn guy, so a name change is still at least a few years off.

Could I root for the Washington Bravehearts? Yes I could. It's not terribly inspired, and conjures up images of a so-so 90s Dragon movie, but still, it's an improvement, and not totally soulless like the "Redhawks". We could keep the colors (which every fan I've ever spoken to says is essential) and maybe even the logo, although nobody really cares about that as much.

You mean Dragonheart? Eh.

But "Bravehearts" -- not sure an association with Mel Gibson is a winner, but I guess it's still an improvement.

I see why you would think that, but the NFL has a way of slaying the midseason super bowl favorites. Plus, even if things hold more or less as they are now, whether it is NO @ Sea or Sea @ NO is going to make a HUGE difference.

Agreed that Carolina looks to be picking up steam, their defense is really solid. If Newton keeps clicking, they are going to be a really unpleasant playoff matchup.

Well playoff races are always interesting, and yeah with Seattle home field is crucial. I'm just saying that of the actual games left on the schedule, there isn't anything that jumps off the page except for a few matchups between Superbowl contenders.

And yeah Carolina really hit the jackpot in the draft this year for defense. Adding Lotulelei and Short to an already solid D-line has turned it into a pretty scary unit.

I usually go to one home game a year. Does that make me republican?

The Senate is controlled by the Dems.

And lets be honest, at the highest levels... they all kowtow to wealthy investors. Being rich enough to afford a ticket doesn't make you a republican, it could also make you a Hollywood liberal. ;)

They should just bring back the Senators name.

Washington Senators football, I like it

The NFL has enough timeouts, we don't need to see Shannahan filibuster in an attempt to delay losing.

I bet they're not so bad for people who can afford tickets to home games.

I usually go to one home game a year. Does that make me republican?

Oh shit, it's about to get political.

Ya know, I thought Brady was off...but not this off. Per Bill Simmons:

Player A: 1,687 yards, 60.7% comp, 6.44 YPA, 14/4 TD/INT, 90.9 rating, 48.1 QBR, +8.20 DVOA

Player B: 1,723 yards, 58.3% comp, 7.73 YPA, 8/11 TD/INT, 74.3 rating, 35.8 QBR, -18.8 DVOA
Player C: 1,708 yards, 55.4% comp, 5.99 YPA, 8/5 TD/INT, 75.3 rating, 48.5 QBR, -12.2 DVOA
Player D: 1,741 yards, 60.5% comp, 6.55 YPA, 8/13 TD/INT, 69.5 rating, 32.3 QBR, -20.3 DVOA

If you had to guess the identities of Tom Brady, Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer and Geno Smith based on those 2013 numbers, how would you pick?

(Hold on, I'll give you a few seconds.)

(And a few more.)

(And … time!)

Player A: Bradford. Player B: Geno. Player C: Brady. Player D: Palmer.

Hold on, I have to finish vomiting.

I gotta follow the only successful Rutgers coach in the history of Rutgers or coaches!

Basically. The gig is 8-month rotations for 2 years, then a more permanent placement. Was in Kentucky until March, moved to St. Pete then, am moving to Raleigh/Durham in about a month.

When I told a buddy I was moving to Tampa from Kentucky, he asked if my job was trying to see what it would take to break my spirit. I think they might've found it.

Dude, I'm 100% legit when I say this: but that sounds pretty awesome. There's a bunch of places I wouldn't mind experiencing, Tampa included, if I knew it was for a short, finite period. I wouldn't actively seek out any of those places, but if I got assigned there, hey this a great opportunity to explore. And if Tampa sucks, which it sounds like it does, there's still the surrounding region.

Anyway, don't think I'm not calling shenangians on the shadiness of now suddenly moving from Tampa to Carolina oh so conveniently after what happened last night. As a Bills fan, I've long suspected you of front-running and now I have the proof. I'm calling you out, big guy!

Does anyone else think that this weeks games are lacking a little sizzle? I feel like this week looks a lot more like college football from a competition standpoint. A lot of the best teams are on byes, and a lot more are playing doormats. What is the marquee matchup this week?

Jets/Bengals? Both teams have a winning record, but I'm not sold on the Jets actually being good, and while the Bengals are indeed good, Andy Dalton isn't great to watch.

Cowboys/Lions? When the hype is all about the wide recievers trying to outdo one another (and didn't we do that last week Detroit?) it usually means the matchup lacks pop.

Broncos/Redskins? Shanahan's return to Denver is a great artificial storyline, but does anyone care? And while Manning and RG3 are great to watch, the outcome is....only charitably "in doubt".

All of these are fine matchups if you are a fan of one of those teams, but not terribly exciting from a general NFL standpoint. I'm not complaining (much), it's just unusual for the NFL to have so few exciting matchups, usually there are 5 or 6 games I'd really like to keep an eye on.

When I checked on Wednesday, there were only 3 games this week with a spread of less than 7 points. Usually doing a confidence pool is brutal - this week for the first time ever there were more games I wanted to give a high confidence score to than I had high scores to assign. I had ramp down my early values because while Carolina vs. Tampa feels like candy, it's nothing compared to the gift that is SF vs. Jacksonville or Chiefs and Saints and Broncos at home vs. far less accomplished competition. I'm hoping for upsets, one game in particular obviously, but this feels like it's gonna be the ultimate NFL chalk week.

"Pearson died Monday at the age of 83, his ability to keep a promise outlasted by the Vikings' capacity to disappoint their fans."

On Jan. 12, 1975, the Minnesota Vikings lost Super Bowl IX, their third Super Bowl defeat in six seasons. That very day, Vikings fan Emmett John Pearson vowed not to shave his beard till the team broke through and won a title. He did just that for the next 38 years, his long, unruly white beard becoming his trademark. Pearson died Monday at the age of 83, his ability to keep a promise outlasted by the Vikings' capacity to disappoint their fans.

Pearson kept his beard through the Roger Staubach Hail Mary, Super Bowl XI, Les Steckel, Gary Anderson's missed field goal, Mike Tice, Tavaris Jackson, and Brett Favre's pick. His wife, Roseann, said he'd comb the beard when he'd have to look spiffy. Pearson once had to have surgery on an artery in his neck, but even then the doctors didn't shave it off.

A man who would have made Marshall Eriksen proud.

Archived