NFL Week 8: End of the Weeden Dynasty

sperry

Bad ass.

There is a reason I was crying when the Giants won the World Series. I am a fan. And lest we forget that is short for "fanatic."

People script drama for television or movies on purpose. Drama happens daily in real life by accident.

Sport is the only venue that in place of the Real Housewives of Whogivesafuck or some other nonsense becomes the only reality TV drama I want to watch.

Weird to see all the ragging on Bradford this season considering those numbers. But I guess the numbers a QB puts up doesn't matter as much when the team can't win.

I noticed that as well. I think there was someone on this board lamenting that Bradford was playing awfully.

In other news, I have edited away my asinine comment.

In other news, I saw this quote from Jermicheal Finley "Woke Up Feeling Like A Fighter! #FinleyStrong"

Listen, I know it's kinda bad to say it, but I'm gonna come out and say it. I'm glad he's ok, I was "watching" that Packers-Browns game, and I was really worried when he went down. It's been reported that he's going to make a full recovery, and I'm glad. But get your own thing, man. 'ChuckStrong' was kinda Indy's thing, and it looks dumb to come up with a rallying cry for yourself. Maybe I'm biased here, and I'm being ridiculous, but that quote makes me annoyed.

Seems like it was Lance Armstrong's first, no? All the more reason not to use it.

Ya know, I thought Brady was off...but not this off. Per Bill Simmons:

I think the most telling stat is that Brady is 29th in completion percentage while being 30th in YPA. That's just unbelievable. His skill position players are bad, but he is not playing that well. Not sure what's going on. Is he secretly injured?

The highlight of his year was that drive against the Saints. But even there he actually got, to paraphrase Drew Brees, 3 attempts at a game winning 2 minute drive. His INT should have ended the game. And even during that last drive, he missed a throw to Edelman that just did not look right. There is something off, is this the beginning of the end? I hope not. I have grudgingly admired him as a Colts fan. But he is a joy to watch if you are a football fan as long as he is not playing against your team.

Weird to see all the ragging on Bradford this season considering those numbers. But I guess the numbers a QB puts up doesn't matter as much when the team can't win.

Additionally, those stats don't factor in that his receivers led the NFL in drops, including the league leader in drops himself, Tavon Austin, and the team had more than one long TD pass called back on some stupid penalty. Bradford was having an excellent season.

The comparison with Brady has been perfect. The fact is, it's hard to excel when your receivers, your line, and your RBs suck. HOFer Tom Brady is wallowing in mediocrity this season because his receivers are horrible, his RBs have all been hurt, and . The only difference between Bradford and Brady this year has been the Patriots defense has been really good, whereas the Rams defense has been among the leagues worst. I want Sam to succeed in St. Louis, but I don't see how that's going to happen. They are missing all the pieces that you need to help your QB out, because their draft picks on WR and RBs have been so terrible. Even Tavon Austin, who they traded up to get, is looking a lot like a bust.

I have to say, I'm getting a bit tired of the manufactured storyline of Dez Bryant v Megatron. ESPN puts up stats through first 30 games and try to make the argument that Bryant is better but ignores the fact that Megatron's QBs through his first three years were Jon Kitna, Orlovsky/Culpepper/Kitna, Stafford (rookie)/Culpper/Stanton. Then in his 4th year, he had Hill/Stafford/Stanton. Finally, when he had a healthy Stafford for 16 games, he tore up the league to levels we don't see very often. Bryant, on the other hand, had issues his first season regardless of the QB and then had Romo for the next 2.5 years. I just don't see how it's a fair comparison to look at first 30 games without looking at who was throwing the ball to them. But then, fair doesn't make a storyline so there we go.

And just as an aside, Green is on pace for better stats in his first 30 games than both of them and by quite a bit.

I love AJ Green. I think he is 1A to Megatron's 1. Dalton has (through the last few weeks) stepped up as a legitimate QB in the NFL. This is their first big test against a stingy Jets DEF. I know a lot of people aren't all that excited about today's matchup, but I think it's a great test to see if Dalton and Geno can play against good defenses. Let's face it, I think the run game will be moot in a game where you have among the best run D's going against each other. The Bengals lost to a good Brown's DEF and Green couldn't get open when matched up against Joe Haden. A few games can make a big difference, and I'm excited to see what happens.

A couple of points, since I was busy with soccer:

Thad Lewis is not making it out of this game. I mean, Vick is already out of his game, but Lewis is getting hammered by the Saints' D. Also, I think the Bills just tried to cover Kenny Stills with a D-End.

Also - who saw the Vollmer injury? Is it as bad as Twitter's making it sound?

ETA: Also also, Jesus Christ, Matt Barkley.

A couple of points, since I was busy with soccer:

Thad Lewis is not making it out of this game. I mean, Vick is already out of his game, but Lewis is getting hammered by the Saints' D. Also, I think the Bills just tried to cover Kenny Stills with a D-End.

Also - who saw the Vollmer injury? Is it as bad as Twitter's making it sound?

ETA: Also also, Jesus Christ, Matt Barkley.

Did not look like much to me, but you could hear him screaming and see him pounding on the ground. I never saw the replay though.

Archived