NFL Week 8: End of the Weeden Dynasty

sperry

Even outside two of the greatest QBs of all time, Jerry Rice played with a who's who list of 80's and 90's and early 2000's Probowlers on offense. (Again, that career).

But I would also say that every great player that played with Jerry Rice (and there were a lot of them) looked better because of him too. Football is the ultimate team game. We call Joe Montana possibly the greatest quarterback of all time, but would we still say that if Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice had been drafted elsewhere? Impossible to know, but almost assuredly not. If those two guys were Dolphins, Marino would probably have four super bowls instead, and would be "the greatest".

Obviously, this is just speculative, I'm not trying to take anything away from Joe Montana, who is awesome. I'm just pointing out how in the NFL, great players make other great players look even better.

Rice at least played with so many qbs that it's impossible to say that a qb made him great. He was putting up 1000 yd seasons with meh qbs too. Another feather in the cap for megaton as well there.

But I would also say that every great player that played with Jerry Rice (and there were a lot of them) looked better because of him too. Football is the ultimate team game. We call Joe Montana possibly the greatest quarterback of all time, but would we still say that if Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice had been drafted elsewhere? Impossible to know, but almost assuredly not. If those two guys were Dolphins, Marino would probably have four super bowls instead, and would be "the greatest".

Obviously, this is just speculative, I'm not trying to take anything away from Joe Montana, who is awesome. I'm just pointing out how in the NFL, great players make other great players look even better.

Oh, no question Rice's presence helped Montana and Young and Taylor and Craig a ton. But there's still a vast difference between those guys and the Shaun Hills, Nate Burlesons, Kevin Smiths and Brandon Pettigrews of the world. I'm sure Megatron's presence has helped those guys be as good as they can be which is still, at best, a hair above replacement level.

They'd be comparable be if JJ Stokes was generally the best WR opposite Jerry Rice. But most of the years it was John Taylor and Terrell Owens and Tim Brown. And better O-linemen, and better RBs...etc.

NFL thread on page 2 in the heart of the season? For shame.

Anyway, Andy Benoit has an interesting article on the decreased importance of offensive tackles in today's game.

One might think the league’s increased emphasis on passing would amplify the significance for pass-blocking. However, more passing has actually led to offenses constructing plays that minimizes their reliance on tackles. That’s a safer, easier and smarter option than relying more and more on the athleticism of a 300-pound behemoth. We’ll take a look at every team currently above .500 to see how they’re using tackles—and how inconsequential the position has become.

This is something I've been arguing in recent years. You still want your tackles to be studs, like you would at any position, but it's relative importance compared to any other has declined. There are workarounds. And teams are running more quick passes than ever before. 7 step drops seem incredibly rare these days. And when you're throwing quick, isn't it more important to have a WR/TE who can do something with the football than a LT who can hold up for 3-4 seconds?

Now there's no question a great LT/RT that you don't need to shift protection towards or help with a RB/TE chipping at the line before running his route is a huge boon to the numbers game and can allow a team to be more aggressive in its play calling. Tackles still matter a lot. But to me, outside of QB, it's all about finding guys that help you most in the numbers game and give you the greatest flexibility regardless of where they play. If that's a killer LT, fine. But if it's a stellar playmaking TE, WR or DT, go that way. Except for QBs, I'd place less emphasis on the position a guy plays and more on how much he dominates it.

NFL thread on page 2 in the heart of the season? For shame.

Dude, I tried; I did a statistical analysis on Calvin Johnson, called Chip Kelly an overrated hack and called the starting QB of the Kansas City Chiefs, "Adam Smith." What else do you want from me?

Dude, I tried; I did a statistical analysis on Calvin Johnson, called Chip Kelly an overrated hack and called the starting QB of the Kansas City Chiefs, "Adam Smith." What else do you want from me?

:lol:

You're doing your share, Rock. Now we need the other NFL fans to pick up the slack. I get the excitement of the 82 game NBA preseason starting but c'mon people!

Maybe you're the guy to ask as you've watched every game: should I bench Tom Brady in my FF League in favor of one of the QBs that have outperformed him fantasy-wise, like Thad Lewis and Geno Smith?

Not to mention Ryan Wilson.

Anyway the Thursday nighter looks like another case of a game that would be better if played on a Sunday. I think the Bengals will romp (surprise, surprise) their way to a 7-2 record.

Not to mention Ryan Wilson.

Anyway the Thursday nighter looks like another case of a game that would be better if played on a Sunday. I think the Bengals will romp (surprise, surprise) their way to a 7-2 record.

I'm actually not excited to see tonight's game. I don't like the match-up at all. I am excited, however, to see if the Bengal's offense can follow up on Sunday's performance. Can Dalton throw throw for a 4th consecutive 300 yard game? That's what I'm excited for at least.

I'm actually not excited to see tonight's game. I don't like the match-up at all. I am excited, however, to see if the Bengal's offense can follow up on Sunday's performance. Can Dalton throw throw for a 4th consecutive 300 yard game? That's what I'm excited for at least.

I'm curious as well. I hate the short week though. Thursday games are never sharp, especially for the away team. This is a perfect game to revitalize the running game.

This should be a thourough stomping tonight. After two tough losses to Bills and Zebras, the Dolphins are going to get eaten alive by the Bengals. Not only are they reelling and their OC brain dead, but now one of the better members of their overall awful O line has left the team because other team members didn't want to sit with him at lunch this week.

the Dolphins are going to get eaten alive by the Bengals.

Not so fast

If you placed it near a river, or some sort of fresh water source, that’d make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, a 20 ft wave, I’m assuming its off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full, grown, 800 lb tuna with his 20 or 30 friends. You lose that battle. you lose that battle nine times out of ten. And guess what, you wandered into our school, of tuna and we now have a taste of blood! We’ve talked, to ourselves. We’ve communicated and said, ‘you know what? lion tastes good. Lets go get some more lion

Archived