Characters who are the Ozymandias of their time.

King of Winters

For those of you who haven't read the poem 'Ozymandias', here it is:

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

By Percy Bysshe Shelley

People usually take the meaning of this poem as nothing lasts forever, no matter how powerful a kingdom is it will always come to an end. Ozymandias is the Greek name for the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, who is perhaps the most famous Egyptian Pharaoh because of the grand statues he built of himself. The name 'Ozymandias' means king (mandias) of air (ozy) or king of nothing. It's a reminder that nothing lasts forever.

So I was thinking about which ASOIAF fits the "Ozymandias title". I think Aegon I fits it quite well since he believe that Westeros should be one kingdom and that his family would rule over it. His dream of the Targs ruling over the Seven Kingdoms became real for 283 years until his dynasty ended. The Targ dynasty didn't last forever and neither will Aegon's idea of a united Westeros if the North's independence goes through.

Another character I think fits the "Ozymandias title" well is Tywin who rebuilt his family's reputation by crushing a rebellion when he wasn't even Lord of Casterly Rock yet, became Hand of the King for 20 years or so and generally made his house stronger than what his father did to it. But after he died his children have slowly lost the power their father gained over the years for them. Cersei is on trial, Tyrion is widely known to be a "Kingslayer" and Kinslayer.

Who else is an "Ozymandias"?

Definitely Tywin. I find the poem particularly accurate of him since many of the things coming back to haunt the Lannisters (ie his legacy) are a direct result of him. I don't blame his kids too much.

His unleashing Gregor on the Riverlands means that they are likely just waiting for an excuse to rise up again.

His desire to "Rains of Castamere" a Great House is going to backfire when the Starks and the North come back with a vengence.

He thought he was in control of everything, he never considered how truly dangerous the Tyrells are.

The Martells have been plotting for 15+ years due to his murder of Elia and her children.

Tyrion and Jamie have rejected him (Tyrion by murdering him, Jaime refused to leave the Kingsguard as Tywin expected and genuinely seems to start rejecting him morally).

This is just the stuff off the top of my head.

Tywin of course. Not seeing the Aegon I connection though, if the Kingdoms had split up again after his death then yes but reaigning over Westeros for almost 300 years is not bad.

Tywin of course. Not seeing the Aegon I connection though, if the Kingdoms had split up again after his death then yes but reaigning over Westeros for almost 300 years is not bad.

Yes, Aegon isn't as good as Tywin an example but his dynasty didn't last, as I'm sure he would have thought it would, and his dynasty has only monuments as a reminder of their previous rule, such as the Dragon Pit, and the dragon skulls in the cellar.

Aegon's family went from lords of a small outpost island to overlord of a unified continent for 3 centuries, and we're supposed to presume disappointed hubris? It was the biggest and most rewarded individual power play we have read about in the books.

Aegon's family went from lords of a small outpost island to overlord of a unified continent for 3 centuries, and we're supposed to presume disappointed hubris? It was the biggest and most rewarded individual power play we have read about in the books.

Yes, but the way he wanted to rule Westeros as one empire, it makes it seem as if he thought his Targ dynasty would always endure as Kings of Westeros and things like the Dragon Pit are like his Ozymandias statue with it in a ruin.

Yes, but the way he wanted to rule Westeros as one empire, it makes it seem as if he thought his Targ dynasty would always endure as Kings of Westeros and things like the Dragon Pit are like his Ozymandias statue with it in a ruin.

Aegon made a huge contribution to Westeros simply by uniting the kingdoms. It (eventually) brought peace and stability that allowed the kingdoms all to flourish, something that could never happen if the kingdoms were frequently at war with each other. When the Targaryen rule ends the kingdoms stay united under another leader, allowing for the stability to continue. In this way, Aegon's influence is still relevant to Westeros.

Archived