Best to Worst Mothers in ASOIAF

Arthur Lannister

Worst is Catelyn. She's a jealous stepmother to Jon. She pretty much ignores her baby Rickon and her daughters while bedsitting Bran. She doesn't insist on seeing her daughters in KL. She's fiercely overprotective of Robb, yet betrays him to save her daughters (who she should have insisted be taken away with her when she heard of all the crap going on in KL). She's strangely resigned when she hears of Bran and Rickon's death, pinning all her hopes on Robb while still being a jealous biatch about Jon. She sends ONE person to KL with Jaime to trade for her daughters, instead of sending a host of bannermen with Robb's support. Catelyn has made so many mistakes as a mother, she is almost in a tie with Cersei. No wonder D&D added the scene in the show where Catelyn said she was cursed "because she could not love a motherless child."

Best mother so far is Gilly.

Worst is Catelyn. She's a jealous stepmother to Jon.

Catelyn isn't Jon's stepmother

She pretty much ignores her baby Rickon and her daughters while bedsitting Bran.

She was under extreme grief because she feared that one of her sons was going to die, while Rickon, Sansa, and Arya were all still healthy and had either their father or older brother.

She doesn't insist on seeing her daughters in KL.

Her mission was meant to be a secret, thus the less people she meets the better.

She's fiercely overprotective of Robb, yet betrays him to save her daughters

How is wrong for a mother to be protective of her son that is fighting a war, or for her to do whatever is possible to have her daughters back?

(who she should have insisted be taken away with her when she heard of all the crap going on in KL).

Again her presence was meant to be secret, thus she couldn't have just taken Sansa and Arya without directing attention to her presence.

She's strangely resigned when she hears of Bran and Rickon's death

In her grief for their deaths she risks everything to get her daughters back by releasing the Kingslayer.

pinning all her hopes on Robb while still being a jealous biatch about Jon

Why is wrong for her to pin her hopes on her son? Meanwhile, Jon is still not her child or responsibility thus is irrelevant to her status as a mother.

She sends ONE person to KL with Jaime to trade for her daughters, instead of sending a host of bannermen with Robb's support

Robb refused to trade Jaime for his sisters, that is why she had to act behind his back as she had no other options.

No wonder D&D added the scene in the show where Catelyn said she was cursed "because she could not love a motherless child."

Nah, that was because they are hacks.

Worst is Catelyn. She's a jealous stepmother to Jon. She pretty much ignores her baby Rickon and her daughters while bedsitting Bran. She doesn't insist on seeing her daughters in KL. She's fiercely overprotective of Robb, yet betrays him to save her daughters (who she should have insisted be taken away with her when she heard of all the crap going on in KL). She's strangely resigned when she hears of Bran and Rickon's death, pinning all her hopes on Robb while still being a jealous biatch about Jon. She sends ONE person to KL with Jaime to trade for her daughters, instead of sending a host of bannermen with Robb's support. Catelyn has made so many mistakes as a mother, she is almost in a tie with Cersei. No wonder D&D added the scene in the show where Catelyn said she was cursed "because she could not love a motherless child."

Best mother so far is Gilly.

Hate is powerful, and it usually leads us to terrible mistakes in conclusion like this. Since Minsc addressed all the wrong things in this post, and for such short post, there is a mistake in conclusion in every sentence, I will just agree with Minsc, with addition that I truly believe that the post I quoted is completely and utterly wrong.

For future references, what Minsc said above and again and again, Cat was not Jon Snow's stepmother. Though I have to admit that your post is hilarious in so many levels. My favorite part is the comparison to Cersei and Catelyn "resigned" to her children's deaths, while still acting like a bitch to Jon, that she doesn't see at all in ASOS and who's concerns make sense in the context.

Every time this kind of thread comes up, I have so much fun with people claiming Cat is a terrible mother. They keep inventing absurd arguments. I guess raising 5 good-hearted, well educated and happy children is nothing. So is literally risking her life for them time and time again.

“I take you for a father. Keep me for a hostage, Edmure as well if you haven’t killed him. But let Robb go.”

“No.” Robb’s voice was whisper faint. “Mother, no . . .”

“Yes. Robb, get up. Get up and walk out, please, please. Save yourself . . . if not for me, for Jeyne.”

“Jeyne?” Robb grabbed the edge of the table and forced himself to stand. “Mother,” he said, “Grey Wind . . .”

“Go to him. Now. Robb, walk out of here.”

Lord Walder snorted. “And why would I let him do that?”

She pressed the blade deeper into Jinglebell’s throat. The lackwit rolled his eyes at her in mute appeal. A foul stench assailed her nose, but she paid it no more mind than she did the sullen ceaseless pounding of that drum, boom doom boom doom boom doom. Ser Ryman and Black Walder were circling round her back, but Catelyn did not care. They could do as they wished with her; imprison her, rape her, kill her, it made no matter. She had lived too long, and Ned was waiting. It was Robb she feared for.

What a terrible parent, right?

No wonder D&D added the scene in the show where Catelyn said she was cursed "because she could not love a motherless child."

Your entire post was problematic, but this part annoyed me the most. This scene was literally the worst scene ever in GOT, seriously. It was on the same level as Dany screaming "Where are my dragons?!!!?!!!".

D&D failed horribly at doing justice to Catelyn's character. In the books, she was such a strong willed, powerful woman, and an amazing mother who lost her husband, her children, she lost everything.

Your entire post was problematic, but this part annoyed me the most. This scene was literally the worst scene ever in GOT, seriously. It was on the same level as Dany screaming "Where are my dragons?!!!?!!!".

D&D failed horribly at doing justice to Catelyn's character. In the books, she was such a strong willed, powerful woman, and an amazing mother who lost her husband, her children, she lost everything.

That was just so stupid I've been ever since sharing the meme "If Catelyn had only loved Jon Snow..." I simply pretend I've never seen it in my TV.

Every time this kind of thread comes up, I have so much fun with people claiming Cat is a terrible mother. They keep inventing absurd arguments. I guess raising 5 good-hearted, well educated and happy children is nothing. So is literally risking her life for them time and time again.

I think there is a group of five/six regular defenders of Catelyn's mothering skills, plus her work and personality... And the best part that these arguments have become so easy... Like haters don't even try... It's either we have become that good, or they are just lazy... :)

What a terrible parent, right?

Right, what a selfish bi*ch...

GRRM broke the mold of "mother figure", D&D remolded it back... Simple as that...

That isn't fair, at least that Dany scene had some unintentional hilarity to it. Furthermore, it at least move a plot point forward even if that plot was pretty weak. While, Catelyn's scene was just sad and didn't add anything to the plot (honestly they don't even bring up Robb's will after all that).

Catelyn THINKS she is Jon's stepmother. She doesn't read this forum.

No, she doesn't. Not once does she think she holds any responsibility to Jon, because she doesn't.

That isn't fair, at least that Dany scene had some unintentional hilarity to it. Furthermore, it at least move a plot point forward even if that plot was pretty weak. While, Catelyn's scene was just sad and didn't add anything to the plot (honestly they don't even bring up Robb's will after all that).

I thought they'd follow that rout but instead we got scenes of Talisa making strategic decisions (??), Cat having one or two lines per episode... I seriously hate how they dealt with that part of season.

Catelyn THINKS she is Jon's stepmother. She doesn't read this forum.

I don't recall.

I thought they'd follow that rout but instead we got scenes of Talisa making strategic decisions (??), Cat having one or two lines per episode... I seriously hate how they dealt with that part of season.

To be fair, Talisa was pretty important as she had a young actor willing to show off her cute butt. Meanwhile, I am guessing Michelle wasn't willing to do naked scenes.

That scene alone wouldn't be that bad if it had made any sense to anyone... If someone meets D&D, ask them what the hell was that scene was about. I mean, the fact she didn't love Jon caused Jaime to throw Bran off the window, Joffrey to kill Ned and Theon to betray Robb? I mean, talking about classic example of nonsense.

Simply, they could have done that much better...

“Jon must go,” she said now.

“He and Robb are close,” Ned said. “I had hoped …”

“He cannot stay here,” Catelyn said, cutting him off. “He is your son, not mine. I will not have him.” It was hard, she knew, but no less the truth.

Cat's acceptance of the stepmother role is clear to see here. :cool4:

Are some of you really arguing that Cat is not Jon's stepmother, and that you require a quote to prove that she is? She's married to a man who has a biological (she thinks) child from another woman. Just because neither THINK the term, doesn't mean my choice of word is wrong. Semantics argument? Or are you inferring she doesn't think Jon is Ned's child?

And yes, Cat has made some incredibly crappy decisions. But I will admit she didn't ON PURPOSE! (Still doesn't make her a fabulous mother) Better?

Are some of you really arguing that Cat is not Jon's stepmother, and that you require a quote to prove that she is? She's married to a man who has a biological (she thinks) child from another woman. Just because neither THINK the term, doesn't mean my choice of word is wrong. Semantics argument? Or are you inferring she doesn't think Jon is Ned's child?

None of that makes her Jon's stepmother. In how, to her knowledge Ned only had Jon after their marriage as a result of an affair. In contrast, a stepmother is someone that marries someone with preexisting children from a previous relationship to their marriage.

And yes, Cat has made some incredibly crappy decisions. But I will admit she didn't ON PURPOSE! (Still doesn't make her a fabulous mother) Better?

Yes, Catelyn made mistakes but as those aren't related to the mothering of her children they aren't important to rating her as a mother. Similar, to how Ned made mistakes yet those don't detract from his rating as a father.

Step-parents have some sort of custody over their spouse's children, some sort of authority. It's clear from all of Ned's thoughts and actions that Catelyn takes absolutely 0 part in raising Jon. There's a really good thread on this, but I don't know where it's at.

Also, is there even the concept of step-parents in Westeros?

None of that makes her Jon's stepmother. In how, to her knowledge Ned only had Jon after their marriage as a result of an affair. In contrast, a stepmother is someone that marries someone with preexisting children from a previous relationship to their marriage.

step·moth·er

n.

The wife of one's father and not one's natural mother.

So, you are arguing semantics?

Archived