Am I the only one who distrusts female fantasy authors?

Greyman

female fantasy authors not being good is bullshit of the highest order.

most of the better writers, specially in epic fantasy, are female.

Hobb apart (and even that is questionable in its epic status) I can't think of a single good female author of epic fantasy.

I disagree, actually. I'm not even a very big fan of the Mule, to be honest, but none of the characters in Asimov stories ever really struck me as posessing tremendous depth. Then again, it's been a really long time since I read them, so I could just be failing to remember things properly.

It could also be a difference in what we're considering a "good" character. You're right that Asimov doesn't delve deep into his characters' psyches. But I enjoy reading about some of them much more than a character that is shown, in greater depth, to be not as interesting a person. Both what I find "interesting" and the criteria itself are matters of taste, of course.

The interesting thing about Robin Hobb was that the books (the UK versions at least) didn't hint at her gender until the Liveship Traders series by which time the Farseer books had been successful. The author info section in the Farseer books didn't mention gender, just referred to her as 'Robin' which is a gender-neutral name, and not her real name. My guess is that it was decided that some readers in fantasy are biased against women so they pulled a little sleight of hand.

Nice. A bit of the ol' "James Tiptree, Jr." action.

I am trying to think of other female authors who use ambiguous names (or merely initials + last name), perhaps exactly for this reason...

CJ Cherryh

CS Friedman

PD James

JK Rowling

James Triptree, Jr.

who else?

ETA: on second thought...maybe this is a topic of its own? There could be a surprise or two in there...

Well I like Anne mcCaffrey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and KJ Parker is brilliant. On the other hand some well known male writers ..................

So, no I'm definitely not biased against women in fantasy (which would be pretty close-minded to be honest), and will give them an equal chance.

Hobb apart (and even that is questionable in its epic status) I can't think of a single good female author of epic fantasy.

Hobb

Carey

West

Wurts

Marillier

Flewelling

Elliot

Friedman

Britain

Le Guin

May

Wells

McKinley

Shinn

Moon

Hearn

McKillip

Werde

Rawn

Bujold

Fallon

Roberson

Granted, none of them are as good as Tolkien, Kay, Martin, Williams and Bakker - I find most of the above to be much better then the likes of Farland, Feist, Jordan, Marco, Stackpole, Duncan, Benjamin, Bunch, Gemmell, Fergusson, Coe and on par with Keyes, Adams, Erikson, Cook and Russell.

Granted, none of them are as good as Tolkien, Kay, Martin, Williams and Bakker - I find most of the above to be much better then the likes of Farland, Feist, Jordan, Marco, Stackpole, Duncan, Benjamin, Bunch, Gemmell, Fergusson, Coe and on par with Keyes, Adams, Erikson, Cook and Russell.

I guess we have different views on what constitutes epic fantasy as many of those female authors (at least those I have even heard of) don't write what I think of as epic fantasy. Then again I haven't heard of several of your male authors either.

Of the female authors you list that I have heard of (Hobb apart) I would put Erikson way above any of them, even though he has his flaws. But certainly Elliot is nowhere near as good as him imo.

Well, if we are talking about female writers overoll, not just fantasy, I always loved French writer Sagan, Polish writer Khmelevskaya and a British one Lindsey Davis. :cool:

Oh, and I did like McKillip's only book I read so far better than Williams and Bakker.

Falco? :o

As in "Rock Me Amadeus" and "Der Kommisar" fame?

Sweet! :D

Nah, I don't gravitate that high ........... Falco the roman detective of Lyndsey Davies' :D:D

PS: Brave of you to keep that flag, unlike some I know :P

Ah, I figured it wasn't...but I remember those songs well from my pre-teen/early teen years in the 80s! :D

As for the flag...take a closer look at it, it never was completely 100% pro-US, even if I'm an American :P I'm changing it after 9 July, since the agreement was to keep the names and stuff until then. But Argentina was my favored team all along (exploring options of emigrating there, actually, but that's years away after I finish a degree in teaching English as a Foreign Language).

But that really isn't fantasy

Right, that's why the post starts with the "if we are talking about female writers overoll, not just fantasy..." There were a few posts earlier that took a more universal approach to writing than fantasy.

As for fantasy, well, I have two "favorite" male writers, Martin and Kay; and two "favorite" female writers - Hobb and McKillip. There was a bunch of other writers listed. Sure, some like a particular authoress, some not, but it is exactly the same with the males. (Shrug)

Gotcha - although I was never 'switching,' I was just assigned to support the US over Argentina :P And hey, those songs aren't too bad...kinda like a guilty pleasure, like playing Dead or Alive's You Spin Me Right Round :P

What about Bow Wow Wow's I Want Candy?

Hrmm...a case could be made that there were some great female pop singers in the 80s, just to tie it in a little bit with this post's original intent ;)

Archived