Brooklyn Nine Nine [SPOILERS]

Sci-2

So glad that Brooklyn Nine Nine got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Comedy and a nomination for Andy Samberg! Andre Braugher was robbed, but the Supporting Actor category for the Golden Globes have actors that usually wind up in other categories for other awards, so I guess he got squeezed out.

• 4 weeks later...

Also good that Jake finally fucked up and Lady Luck didn't bail him out.

Yes, that was a good shift. Hopefully the bandit comes back as a recurring villain.

I think Diaz is Peralta's most organic-feeling relationship, too. That they're good enough friends to trust eachothers inexplicable hunches and obsessions feels way less forced than potential-romance with Santiago or the bromance with Boyle, or even the mentoring thing with the Captain.

That captain with the puppies was hilarious. His deadpan delivery is one of the things that keeps me watching this show.

I'm trying to figure out what the dog breed was for the puppies (if any, I suppose they might be mutts).

Everything involving Holt and the puppies was comedy gold.

Those dogs have to be at least half if not full German Shepherd.

I thought they might be a mix, but it seemed odd to me that they would choose a mix for the puppies if one major character was to become a permanent owner of the puppies, since if they wanted to bring the dogs back into the storyline, for continuity purposes they'd need similar-looking bigger dogs. It would make more sense to use purebred dogs for the puppies, since the "look" could be replicated if the writers wanted to use the (grown) dogs again, as opposed to needing the specific puppies shown in the episode. #overthinkingit

Is Peralta Jewish? There was an article a while ago in an online magazine noting that Samberg was playing an Italian character (going off the name "Peralta") and how this was erasure, Samberg being Jewish himself, blah blah blah. However, in this episode, Peralta praises Amy's hideous dress by saying that she looked like "every girl at every bat mitzvah" he ever had a crush on, seemingly confirm that Peralta, like Samberg, is Jewish, Italian name notwithstanding. (And that's totally possible, of course, Judaism being matrilineal.) And while we're talking about Peralta, of course he's a Gemini, of course.

A poster on AV Club compared Boyle/Diaz to a live-action Fry/Leela, which...yes, pretty much. I knew they reminded me of another pairing, but I couldn't quite figure it out.

Lots of great lines this episode. Laughing forever at Boyle being upstaged by the equine Sergeant Peanut Butter (although the gag reminded me a bit of the inanimate carbon rod bit on the Homer in Space episode of The Simpsons).

I loved Holt's robotic, monotone panicking after putting his foot in his mouth again and again: "Oh. I have caused a problem (...) Oh, no. Oh, goodness. I shouldn't have said that. I feel I may have made things worse."

I thought the gag with drugged Boyle would be that without his people-pleasing filter, he would be Gina-level mean and dropping insults left, right and centre, but the only person on the receiving end of an intentionally mean comment from him was Gina. I am a little surprised that filter-less Boyle told Diaz "When you finally go out with me, and you will," etc. etc. Isn't this the same guy who was resigned two episodes ago to the reality that Diaz would never reciprocate his feelings? Not quite sure where that burst of confidence--arrogance, even--came from, especially since filter-less Boyle in the rest of the episode showed himself to be his usual insecure self (worrying that Holt didn't find him interesting, worrying that he'd wind up like Hitchcock, confiding in Jake that he was wearing his medal because he wanted women to like him, ashamed of his living situation, etc.). I'm not sure why Boyle would think that things "only Charles Boyle would do" would be a selling point to Diaz to convince Diaz to go out with him, since he doesn't seem to think very highly of himself. I did like that they cleared the air over Diaz feeling indebted to him because he saved her life, though; the reveal that he didn't know which cop he was saving was a nice touch.

Santiago was really looking good in this ep.

Melissa Fumero really is stunning. She looked amazing during the rooftop scenes in particular.

I was worried the Peralta/Santiago shipping would be weaksauce but it worked out well.

I like how the date was clarified in this episode to be a horrible punishment from the get-go (on a level with Peralta losing his beloved car), and set up as the worst date possible (Peralta dropping hints about making Amy go to Medieval Times, etc. etc.), as opposed to Peralta just using the bet to force Amy to go out with him seriously, which was sort of how it sounded earlier in the season. I liked the way it played out in this episode much better.

I loved Holt's robotic, monotone panicking after putting his foot in his mouth again and again: "Oh. I have caused a problem (...) Oh, no. Oh, goodness. I shouldn't have said that. I feel I may have made things worse."

Having Holt be the clumsy one, but maintain his exterior, was really good. The show used the turning of tables with Holt fucking up to good effect. When he pretends to get the text message was great.

I'm not sure why Boyle would think that things "only Charles Boyle would do" would be a selling point to Diaz to convince Diaz to go out with him, since he doesn't seem to think very highly of himself.

I think it's more he realizes other people don't think highly of him. Which is a bit different than him have low self-esteem. I kinda get the feeling he has a certain nerd cockiness.

Melissa Fumero really is stunning. She looked amazing during the rooftop scenes in particular.

Yup. They really sold the fake date turning into real date.

as opposed to Peralta just using the bet to force Amy to go out with him seriously, which was sort of how it sounded earlier in the season. I liked the way it played out in this episode much better.

Yeah the bet was better this way. Just trying to make her go out with him would be too like Boyle. I do worry that there is gonna be too much successful shipping in this show but Peralta-Santiago works way better than Diaz-Boyle which, beyond a pity date, should never happen.

I think it's more he realizes other people don't think highly of him. Which is a bit different than him have low self-esteem.

Ah, I see. That's a good point...although if Boyle is aware that others don't think highly of him as opposed to not thinking highly of himself, that still doesn't explain why he apparently believes not only that he can win Diaz over, but that he will win Diaz over, just by being himself.

I kinda get the feeling he has a certain nerd cockiness.

In certain areas. He's very assertive and confident when it comes to all things food-related. Boyle normally worships the ground Jake walks on, but he wouldn't take any shit from Jake over his email blast and his pizza analysis methodology in the Sal's Pizza episode earlier in the season. He also schooled both Gina and Diaz on the best pie, even though he's normally cowed by both of them. I don't really see that cockiness extending beyond the culinary sphere, though.

works way better than Diaz-Boyle which, beyond a pity date, should never happen

The writers have their work cut out for them if they expect us to buy Diaz dating Boyle on the basis of anything other than pity. They do seem to be going in that direction, though, judging from Boyle's speech this episode (which neatly eliminated any indebtedness Diaz might feel towards Boyle for saving her life, and all the ickiness that would entail) and Diaz's reaction to it, so who knows? Fry/Leela was once incredibly, seemingly hopelessly one-sided as well. As much as I dislike the "guy wears down uninterested girl until she goes out with him" trope, I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, for now; I never thought I'd like the idea of a Peralta/Santiago romantic pairing and I quite enjoyed their bickering, competitive sibling vibe in previous episodes, but this episode turned me around on them.

It's just that with Diaz and Boyle, it's been made so abundantly clear that even though Diaz seems to like Boyle as a person, appreciate his good qualities, and care about him to a certain extent--calling him sweet, cheering him up when he was agonizing over the psychic's predictions, confronting Jake about interfering in Boyle's case, putting a stop to Jake's butt jokes when Boyle was injured, worrying about leading him on, etc. etc.--she has absolutely no interest in dating him. There's no whiff of ambiguity or uncertainty about Diaz's feelings, or any suggestion that she might be interested in Boyle were it not for her boyfriend, and that's usually the sort of thing that writers play up in these sorts of situations. So if the writers are going to follow through with Boyle/Diaz for real, I'm sort of at a loss as to how they intend to go about it.

Nice twist o the date - I figured if anything it would be Santiago surprised that it wasn't that horrible after all, not Peralta. I liked Terry's wife as well - this strikes me as a show that can only benefit from a broad cast of minor characters. Also, pretty sure Peralta is Jewish - mention of his rabbi at some point, or something like that.

A good show, just finished the final episode of the season. I really liked it, especially Andy Samberg who is just genuinely funny, with his interactions with the Captain and Detective Santiago - I liked the episodes where they would openly compete for statistics. Anyway I'm hoping they do a second season, I would watching it weekly without an issue :)

A good show, just finished the final episode of the season. I really liked it, especially Andy Samberg who is just genuinely funny, with his interactions with the Captain and Detective Santiago - I liked the episodes where they would openly compete for statistics. Anyway I'm hoping they do a second season, I would watching it weekly without an issue :)

Pretty sure the season isn't over?

Definitely not over, they got a full season order last Fall. There's an episode scheduled Tuesday called "The Ebony Falcon". Fox is really is going to try to get this show to catch on. A new episode is also scheduled to air right after the Super Bowl. Hopefully it attracts new viewers. The Golden Globe for Best comedy and Andy Sandberg's for best Comedy Actor should also help.

Definitely not over, they got a full season order last Fall. There's an episode scheduled Tuesday called "The Ebony Falcon". Fox is really is going to try to get this show to catch on. A new episode is also scheduled to air right after the Super Bowl. Hopefully it attracts new viewers. The Golden Globe for Best comedy and Andy Sandberg's for best Comedy Actor should also help.

It was the last episode of the original order which is why it had a season finaleish vibe

Archived