What should I read first?

Guest Raidne

I haven't read Erikson, but just finished The Thousandfold Thought. Bakker's magic does indeed seem to belong to "the few", and isn't commonplace in his world. That said, the sorcerers are MUCH too powerful for my taste.

Yes, but they do have a very nasty "kryptonite" in the chorae. All it would take is a slap on the back from a guy with a chorae in hand, and the mage turns into salt.

Yes, but they do have a very nasty "kryptonite" in the chorae. All it would take is a slap on the back from a guy with a chorae in hand, and the mage turns into salt.

Yes, but the bad guys seem to be imune, and it seems to me that the good guys probably will as well before it is over.

Yes, but the bad guys seem to be imune, and it seems to me that the good guys probably will as well before it is over.

I'm pretty sure the bad guys are just as susceptible to chorae as the good guys are. At least the consult/ magic users should be. Biological innovations like Sranc and Skin Spies aren't magical, but whatever binds Aurang to the synthese is certainly magical. I remember Akka noticing the mark of the Onta in the distance when the Synthese visited Caraskand, but he assumed it was a scarlet schoolman.

Guest Raidne
Who are the "bad guys?" All sorcerers are vulnerable to chorae. And it becomes even more troublesome when facing chorae archers.

The bad guys are the Consult right? I was forced to pick the first book back up while I was stuck on the plane this weekend, and I'm liking it a lot more since the Consult made their first appearance.

The bad part is that the whole idea of the Holy War is still pretty boring for me, and if I were going to write a Bakker drinking game like the one that existed for WoT I would only require sips for every time Achamian feels bad about Inrau, or people would quickly become too drunk to read.

Guest Raidne

Hate to double post on my own thread, but I finished tDtCB finally and in the end I have a much, much better opinion of it that I did in the beginning. I think it really picks up at the point I mentioned before with Esmenet's chapters, and it gets even better when Kellhus comes back into the story with Cnair.

I was so into by the end of the book that I think I'm going to buy the rest today.

Also, I have to say that the quality of the books is, IMO, much, much better than Erikson, although I am only up to Deadhouse Gates.

Therefore, pretty much everything I have ever posted in this thread up to this point ws really just wrong and thanks a lot to everyone who made the effort to steer me back onto the right course.

Hate to double post on my own thread, but I finished tDtCB finally and in the end I have a much, much better opinion of it that I did in the beginning. I think it really picks up at the point I mentioned before with Esmenet's chapters, and it gets even better when Kellhus comes back into the story with Cnair.

I was so into by the end of the book that I think I'm going to buy the rest today.

Also, I have to say that the quality of the books is, IMO, much, much better than Erikson, although I am only up to Deadhouse Gates.

Therefore, pretty much everything I have ever posted in this thread up to this point ws really just wrong and thanks a lot to everyone who made the effort to steer me back onto the right course.

Vindication!

How sweet the taste. ;)

Glad you stuck it out Raidne.

Guest Raidne
Of course she likes it now- you are standing behind her with a manic grin and a knife, all sunburned. :lol:

I predict you will hate it again. I hated the beginning of the first book, thought it was ok by the end then by the end of the second book, I rabidly hated the series. Maybe someday I will read the third book just to torture myself. Kinda like reading Goodkind. ;)

Damn. This must mean that Serwe's insipid whining becomes a central part of the book. And I was hoping that she went the way of Leweth...

Thanks for the warning!

Damn. This must mean that Serwe's insipid whining becomes a central part of the book. And I was hoping that she went the way of Leweth...

Thanks for the warning!

I have problems finding her an appealing character, as well.

I have read tDtCB last week-end til Monday, and though I liked to read it, I couldn't find it in myself to love it. I particularly liked the intrigues and the parallels with the first crusade, though the History geek in me wonders how Momemn and the Nansur empire could have the same impact like Byzanz, when Momemn doesn't have a geographic key position like Constantinople. but that's just my problem. The reason why I don't love the books are the characters, I feel somewhat for them, but it's really hard to warm up to anybody. The only ones for who I care a little bit are minor ones, like Xinemus.

Now, I'm one third into the second volume, and it doesn't feel like a page-turner.

(spoiler)The setup to the battle was more interesting than the battle itself, and Kellhus gets too powerful. It's not this interesting. I liked him better in the prologue of the first volume where he was more of a searcher. I really hope he meets some real obstacles soon.(/spoiler)

However, unlike many english speaking people, I'm not bothered at all by the names. They are quite refreshing, except Coithus Saubon. How can you take a character with this name seriously? :P

Guest Raidne
Not exactly ;) Let's just say Serwë doesn't say that much in the book and leave it at that :P

Good. I was hoping the Kellhus character would stay consistent and let her think that he loves her while he uses her in the pursuit of Shimeh, ultimately ending up with her willingly sacrificing her life for him.

I do think it's really interesting that Bakker has made Kellhus such a pure utilitarian, and his actions really capture all the contradictions I feel about that philosophy.

Archived