Ease off Jamie, he's a good guy.......

Spartan64Destiny

There's two things that absolutely amazed me about this message board when I discovered it:

1) The absolute brilliance of the collective mind-hive here at rooting out textual clues, understanding symbolism, and possibly even predicting future events.

2) The incredibly powerful need to evaluate and place each and every character in the moral spectrum of good and evil, vociferously debate & test those assessments constantly, and decide rooting interests based upon that perception of bad or good.

But really #2 amazes me most of all. Why would only a good character deserve my rooting interest?

It seems to me that wanting to see a bad person do good is one of the most powerful rooting interests of all. Or perhaps see a messed-up and tormented character (of which there are a plenty) finally be at peace?

How nice would that be?

My everyday life is full of evil people, including myself. I root for many of them.

So if it was his life or Bran's. Yeah, I'm sure you would die for a kid you didn't even know. I sure as hell wouldn't. Besides, I like Bran better crippled even if he does complain about how 'broken' he is in EVERY chapter.

Its not "dying for a kid you don't know". Its "killing a kid you don't know on the chance that it could come back on you and/or your kids"

How about this situation. Suppose your child needed an organ transplant to save their life, but you could not find a donor. Would it be OK kill someone else's kid, and harvest their organs to save your child's life? Because thats basically what Jaime was attempting.

He raped a slave girl in Pentos, he killed Shae, he armed the mountain clans, he killed Symon, he abused Shae throughout their relationship(slap), he gave the Antler Men to Joffrey.

He has done plenty of bad things.

ok I did forget about the slave girl.

And Shae betrayed him, a couple of times (helped Cersei try to get him put to death/Fucks his dad)

the arming the mountain clans, was simply arming the enemy of your enemy,

Symon was trying to blackmail him,

the Antler men were traders that had to be killed to save the city

and Shea is a paid servent of tyrion, and he showed a far bit of affection, He was demanding but that is what he was paying her for

Its not "dying for a kid you don't know". Its "killing a kid you don't know on the chance that it could come back on you and/or your kids"

How about this situation. Suppose your child needed an organ transplant to save their life, but you could not find a donor. Would it be OK kill someone else's kid, and harvest their organs to save your child's life? Because thats basically what Jaime was attempting.

I find myself surprised that any parent would not do this. The complications of such a theory notwithstanding, I cannot conceive of any action, or punishment that I would personally undertake, in order to preserve the life of my son. Jaime did what he did for love. We all of us know that this is the most powerful and destructive emotion going. The fact that the story takes us through Jaime's discovery that what he did was all for naught and that Cersei was not worth it only makes his action all the more poignant and desperate. Westeros is not set in the 21st century. The mores are totaly different and for me part of the joy of reading the books has been buying into how these people live. Not how I want them to live. Considering the nature of his life Jaime has been shown to be essentially good (by Westeros standards). How many times do we read how frustrated he is that his finest act (Kingslaying) is regarded as his worst? He has been brought up by a real nasty piece of work in Tywin. Does anybody not expect him to be relatively brutal? Yet he is clearly fighting against it. I fear that with his redemption will come death, but I'm secretly hoping he will at least wed Brienne before he does. That's the romantic in me.

Archived