Ease off Jamie, he's a good guy.......

Spartan64Destiny

Stoneheart has trials.

Loras is scum too, of course, though not as bad as Jaime. 163 slavers - good riddance, too bad she didn't crucify more of them.

But this is kind of offtopic, no?

Do you believe in cruel and unusual punishment?

Sure those slavers might have been scum, but they didn't deserve to die painfully.

Not to mention without a trial.

AFter losing his hand, Jaime didnot do anything bad and has nothing to be accused of in a trial. Still LS will try to hang him because of Roose saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" while killing Robb. Jaime was a damn fool here.

One could of course argue that those are Pet the Dog moments.

So what if it's a trope? The trope is about bad people showing themselves capable of doing good things, how does it follow from this fact that we should ignore the good things? In fact, the opposite is suggested- if Martin is using this trope we ought to weigh Jaime's good deeds even more significantly. The device is about using minimally good acts to signify inner goodness: "show the nasty old crank petting a dog, and you show the audience, aw shucks, he's all right after all."

So if you're right that Jaime's good deeds are examples of this trope, we should consider him quite good indeed, his actions in this context being intended as weighty signifiers, even as slight deeds, and Jaime's good deeds being considerably better than liking cuddly animals.

Jaime didnot do anything bad after he is maimed and he has nothing to be accused of in a trial. Still LS will try to hang him because of Roose saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" while killing Robb. Jaime was a damn fool here.

In hindsight, yes. But Jaime had no idea about what Roose was going to do. Unfortunately something Jaime wasn't responsible for might come back to bite him in the ass big time.

AFter losing his hand, Jaime didnot do anything bad and has nothing to be accused of in a trial. Still LS will try to hang him because of Roose saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" while killing Robb. Jaime was a damn fool here.

Threatening to kill Edmure's unborn child is shitty thing to do.

Jaime didnot do anything bad after he is maimed and he has nothing to be accused of in a trial. Still LS will try to hang him because of Roose saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" while killing Robb. Jaime was a damn fool here.

Everything he did before he was maimed still counts. LS would hang him for Bran alone in a nanosecond. And he took over Riverrun and rhus helped the Freys, he's still constantly betraying the rightful king by working for Tommen and Cersei, he hanged some people on the way to Riverun just because they were in the way of his army, etc...

Stoneheart has trials.

Loras is scum too, of course, though not as bad as Jaime. 163 slavers - good riddance, too bad she didn't crucify more of them.

Her "trials" are a far cry from the sense of fairness they once were to the point where I barely consider them trials, but for what it's worth I don't find her to be a villain.

And no, it's not off topic. You and others are making highly one-sided statements to categorize Jaime as wholly irredeemable and a "villain," and I think it's worthwhile to point out that a somewhat inconsistent rubric is being used. I think the OP is misguided obviously-- he's not a "basically good guy" of course-- but it's just as wrong and incomplete to be labeling him a villain, and I'm honestly kind of shocked that a lot of posters who generally take a nuanced view of characters are taking a very all or nothing approach to Jaime.

As I said, I believe his threats were hollow. He is lucky that they took them serious. And Bran's case is closed because he already confessed and Cat didnot kill him, but made him swore an oath and send him to a mission.

It doesn't work that way. It wasn't a mission, it was a hostage exchange anyway.

Stoneheart has trials.

You, my friend, have the most ridiculous standards of right and wrong, if you're being genuine. Condoning crucifixion, which is a method of execution by which people are tortured to death, of 163 people- guilty or not- leaves you with absolutely no credible moral vantage by which to declare anyone 'irredeemable.'

As I said, I believe his threats were hollow. He is lucky that they took them serious. And Bran's case is closed because he already confessed and Cat didnot kill him, but made him swore an oath and send him to a mission.

Jaime had just been complaining about how his allies were making pointless threats that they didn't mean to keep. Thus, why would he turn around and do the same?

How does that follow? It isn't like she pardoned him, instead she had to keep him alive for other reasons that he hasn't kept.

Her "trials" are a far cry from the sense of fairness they once were to the point where I barely consider them trials, but for what it's worth I don't find her to be a villain.

I don't see how her trials are any less fair then any of the others we have seen in the series.

There are characters in this series who are wholly, or almost-wholly evil. Ser Gregor, Ser Amory, Vargo Hoat, the Boltons, Littlefinger, Varamyr Sixskins, Rorge and Biter etc.

There are others who (if not perfect) are very much in the category of good people, such as Ned and Catelyn, Jon, Davos, Brienne.

Then there's the morally ambiguous category. People who are capable of good and bad, who may ultimately be heroes, or villains, or something in between, such as Dany, Melisandre, Stannis, Theon, Tyrion, Arya. I think that Jaime falls firmly within that camp.

There are characters in this series who are wholly, or almost-wholly evil. Ser Gregor, Ser Amory, Vargo Hoat, the Boltons, Littlefinger, Varamyr Sixskins, Rorge and Biter etc.

There are others who (if not perfect) are very much in the category of good people, such as Ned and Catelyn, Jon, Davos, Brienne.

Then there's the morally ambiguous category. People who are capable of good and bad, who may ultimately be heroes, or villains, or something in between, such as Dany, Melisandre, Stannis, Tyrion, Arya. I think that Jaime falls firmly within that camp.

Basically this. Jaime's proven that he's capable of doing things on both sides of the good and bad spectrum. No act washes out the other, but they ultimately balance to show that he's somewhere in the middle of the moral scale.

I don't see how her trials are any less fair then any of the others we have seen in the series.

She hangs anyone with the last name of Frey, and began having Pod, a kid, hanged for his association with Lannisters. I'm not sure this counts as less "villainous" than the things Jaime does.

Then there's the morally ambiguous category. People who are capable of good and bad, who may ultimately be heroes, or villains, or something in between, such as Dany, Melisandre, Stannis, Tyrion, Arya. I think that Jaime falls firmly within that camp.

Yes, I strongly agree with this. I'd add Cersei and Tywin closer to the black, and add Theon to the greys.

Basically this. Jaime's proven that he's capable of doing things on both sides of the good and bad spectrum. No act washes out the other, but they ultimately balance to show that he's somewhere in the middle of the moral scale.

Well, I do not think, he is as bad as Littlefinger or Roose Bolton, but I would not say, he is in the middle either. To me, Jaime is a person, who sometimes does good things, but if you look at the frequency and the results of his actions, the bad deeds outweigh the good ones.

You, my friend, have the most ridiculous standards of right and wrong, if you're being genuine. Condoning crucifixion, which is a method of execution by which people are tortured to death, of 163 people- guilty or not- leaves you with absolutely no credible moral vantage by which to declare anyone 'irredeemable.'

Personally given the horrific form of slavery practised in Meereen by the slaver class, the leaders of which were crucified, I am totally fine with it. Some monsters need a bigger punishment than a quick clean death. And a message had to be send that Dany meant business (sadly she grew soft later on).

No way. Multiple murderers who cause massive wars aren't in the middle of the moral scale even in Westeros.

She hangs anyone with the last name of Frey, and began having Pod, a kid, hanged for his association with Lannisters. I'm not sure this counts as less "villainous" than the things Jaime does.

IIRC, she hasn't hung any Frey not connected to the RW. Meanwhile, Pod admitted to fighting for the Lannisters thus he could be classified as a Lannister soldier. Moreover, he probably isn't any younger then the traditional greenboys that are killed all the time in war thus his attempted execution is likely not that unusual.

IIRC, she hasn't hung any Frey not connected to the RW. Meanwhile, Pod admitted to fighting for the Lannisters thus he could be classified as a Lannister soldier. Moreover, he probably isn't any young then the traditional greenboys that are killed all the time in war thus his attempted execution is likely not that unusual.

So?

We know Stoneheart will kill innocent Freys(see Jinglebell).

Archived