the end that hit me completely by surprise.

Master Chief

of the other books, the ending, while somewhat unexpected, was never that surprising to me. this ending hit me while i wasn't looking. varys wants the targarians back? now that i think back on it, it was kind of obvious. but i just didn't realise it, it was hidden pretty well. was anyone else very surprised at this ending?

Go back to AGoT. Varys tells Ned he wants peace in the realm. What he really wants is a sane Targ on the throne. I think he would have eventually killed the Mad King, and then Rhaeger would have been king. He has to keep everything stirred up now, because the Westeros folks will want a strong person to keep the peace. Kevan could have done that. So he had to go. I hope Manderly does not go the same way. He is turning out to be a quiet player, too.

• 5 months later...

of the other books, the ending, while somewhat unexpected, was never that surprising to me. this ending hit me while i wasn't looking. varys wants the targarians back? now that i think back on it, it was kind of obvious. but i just didn't realise it, it was hidden pretty well. was anyone else very surprised at this ending?

I was more surprised by Varys getting his hands dirty... And by his "little birds" having knives...

The Targ thing, even though I hadn't really guessed it, didn't surprise me because it was obvious that he and LF had their own motives. When Tyrion uses Cersei's children to know who is working for her, it appears only Pycelle is deeply loyal to the Lannisters... Which was a small surprise at that point btw.

Eh... does he really want Targaryens on the throne? If he did, I wouldn't have been surprised, I was expecting that. The surprise for me was that he probably wants fake Targaryens/possibly Blackfyres on the IT.

Eh... does he really want Targaryens on the throne? If he did, I wouldn't have been surprised, I was expecting that. The surprise for me was that he probably wants fake Targaryens/possibly Blackfyres on the IT.

That's what I was thinking too. I don't know why, but I think there are still some Blackfyre loyalists out there. And it just seems like GRRMs style. But I've been wrong before...plenty of times.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't surprise me at all, I realized it was Varys talking to Illyrio in the very first book when Arya saw them in the room with the dragon skulls. Knowing that Illyrio had a connection with the surviving Targaryens and the description Arya gave of the companion made it clear to me from the beginning, especially when they started talking about spies and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I was thinking too. I don't know why, but I think there are still some Blackfyre loyalists out there. And it just seems like GRRMs style. But I've been wrong before...plenty of times.

I've been saying that Varys plot is just a plot. He's not a Targ loyalist nor am I foolish enough to think all he does is for "the good of the realm". I don't buy it for a second. Time will tell.

Archived