Arya,why does the kindly man carry on with her training.

Ice and fire freak

Just read through some of the Arya chapters again and it's clear that Arya is intent on staying herself and she tries to keep so many thoughts to herself.

What I can't understand is that they know she's lying and yet rather than turn her out they persist with her training infact its only up untill she kills the bloke with the coin that he says she could still be of some use.

Are there any reasons why they should persist with someone who they think won't totally buy into their ideals?

I had this thought that maybe in fact the KM doesn't want Arya to become a nobody, not really. It's a part of the test, sort of. If you are going to exchange faces and become multiple other people, you should be a well-grounded individual, with a clear sense of yourself, or you might end up going all cuckoo in the end...

I wonder about this too. Part of me wonders if the FM is part of the ruling class in Bravoos (also including the Iron Bank) that is interested in the politics of Westeros so holding on to Arya to a certain point and teaching her useful survival skills behooves them somehow.... I have no evidence to back this up. haha.

Edit: and yes - warging could be useful to them, however, I can't help but feel like the fact that she is a warg means she will always be tied to the Stark's / first men and therefore can never really become no one? Mayhaps they don't care?

Yes. That is what I believe too. They have an assignment for her where her "talents" will be better used. :)

Interesting because there is a bit in one of the chapters where he says something like "you've been running around with the wolf at night"so they clearly know she's a warg then,I'd not really thought of that it would allow her to become an assasin of unprecedented potential I guess.

Interesting because there is a bit in one of the chapters where he says something like "you've been running around with the wolf at night"so they clearly know she's a warg then,I'd not really thought of that it would allow her to become an assasin of unprecedented potential I guess.

She has warged a wolf and a cat already. I'd say her potential as a warg is truly enormous. I'm just looking forward to her chapters so bad in WOW :)

Just read through some of the Arya chapters again and it's clear that Arya is intent on staying herself and she tries to keep so many thoughts to herself.

What I can't understand is that they know she's lying and yet rather than turn her out they persist with her training infact its only up untill she kills the bloke with the coin that he says she could still be of some use.

Are there any reasons why they should persist with someone who they think won't totally buy into their ideals?

More than this. The KOM sin against their ideal not to judge the future victim, when he tells Arya that the Insurance Man is betraying widows and orphans. He tell it to her when she reluctants to kill the Insurance Man. (She tell him out of hand that she would kill the man, but then she wait and wait and do nothing).

I think they're using her and have some grand scheme in mind.

This is what I think, too.

Where did you read this? She nearly gave herself away when serving at her first FM meeting, and growled when sleeping with Brusco's daughters, but otherwise, she never told the KM "It is snowing in the Riverlands, in Westeros."

If they suspect and need her abilities as a warg, the most likely target would be Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons. Arya could use Missandei's face, and the FM would get rid of a Valyrian and her dragons. But how does that fit with Braavosi Anti-Slavery-Policy?

Where did you read this? She nearly gave herself away when serving at her first FM meeting, and growled when sleeping with Brusco's daughters, but otherwise, she never told the KM "It is snowing in the Riverlands, in Westeros."

If they suspect and need her abilities as a warg, the most likely target would be Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons. Arya could use Missandei's face, and the FM would get rid of a Valyrian and her dragons. But how does that fit with Braavosi Anti-Slavery-Policy?

Well, let's take it for granted that word the Stark children and their direwolves crossed the narrow sea to people who pay attention to rumours. And then, a Stark girl shows up and growls and thrashes around in her sleep. If she did it at Brusco's she does it at the temple.

Now, for people who use magic and have a history based out of Valyria, would they make the leap? I am not sure.

Arya is talented, diligent in her work ethic and still young enough to be molded to some degree. I don't know for sure why they are keeping her around, she's made it extremely clear on multiple occasions that she values the innocent. I mean, just her reaction to the first Faceless Man killing the slave should have set off major alarm bells. They don't have any idea that she has basically been through hell and still has that base morality intact, so it's my guess they think they can chip away at it. Maybe they can, but I still think Arya and the FM will fall out when they send her after someone truly innocent, like Missendei or whoever.

Nevertheless, even if they don't know she is a Warg, having a Westerosi of noble birth who does not expect privilege because of that fact is a real gem for them, there are so many ways they can use her.

Well, it's likely their recruits don't always start as remorseless killers without attachment to their previous selves. And if they do approach them already in that way, then the FM had no hand and influence in what traumatic events led them to that point.

So I think her reluctance is expected, and they even desire it early on. It proves she's still sane.

They are probably used to dealing with recruits that are initially difficult. They indoctrinate them first.

The waif for example had no say in how she came to work for the FM if her story is true yet she seems to be the perfect servant now.

I don't believe they know anything about warging. The reason they keep her, is that they don't expect any one to become "no one" in no time. It's a gradual proccess, she's got the talent, and they hope that given time, she may trully become one of them someday.

Im sure they know,think its in the last Arya chapter that he says you've been with the wolf at night.

I love these chapters as Arya is just being a classic child in that they are what they are and we all know how stubborn she is cause she wouldn't have survived until now.

Well, it's likely their recruits don't always start as remorseless killers without attachment to their previous selves. And if they do approach them already in that way, then the FM had no hand and influence in what traumatic events led them to that point.

So I think her reluctance is expected, and they even desire it early on. It proves she's still sane.

They are probably used to dealing with recruits that are initially difficult. They indoctrinate them first.

The waif for example had no say in how she came to work for the FM if her story is true yet she seems to be the perfect servant now.

:agree:

Im sure they know,think its in the last Arya chapter that he says you've been with the wolf at night.

That's nonsense.

The KM is suspicious about her learning killing techniques for her own purposes, her own pleasures. "Do you deny it?"..."I do deny it." "You lie. I can see the truth in your eyes. You have the eyes of a wolf and a taste for blood."...She kept silent.

I think the KM has no idea about her warging.

The only Stark dire wolf to become commonly known was Grey Wind, and there might have been some gossip how Robb was able to control that beast. Arya's training is build on self control. Ser Gregor...She mouthed the names silently. In the House of Black and White, you never knew who might be listening.

She had to pay with all her possessions to learn that lesson. I think she never gave anything away in the HoBaW, and Talea and Brea just caught her off guard and never told anybody else about her growling in her sleep.

:agree:

So we're saying everything's ok then basically and that it's quite normal,thing can we see Arya being worked over cause I can't,we know she hid needle away and she still does the names at night,I get the feeling it's all gonna be on her own terms and for some reason(warg thing maybe)the KM is cool with this.

Another thing I always thought as odd was that the KM said he'd never heard of J Heagar,I mean he's the reason why she's there in the first place so someone's lying to her there I reckon.

Is it that they expect her to be a certain way, or that they expect to present herself a certain way in convincing fashion?

I mean when I think about it, it's pretty hard to verify absolutely whether any of the Faceless Men have achieved the eradication of the self, unless they can actually read minds. For me it's more about getting Arya to the point where she can suppress her true personality to the point where it is undetectable by others... "If the Kindly Man can't tell, you're doing quite well..." I don't think they're upset that she's lying at all, I think they just want her to lie better.

As for the warging, I don't think that comes into it, but who knows?

Archived