What are you reading in November?

Guinevere Seaworth

I finished Ascanio. It's the first Dumas novel I've read and I have to say I didn't expect it to be so light-hearted, but I enjoyed it all the same.

In fact I'm going to add another Dumas' novel(s?) to my KILOMETER-long list of books I plan on reading next year. Perhaps The Three Musketeers or The Count of Monte Cristo, just to see how his more famous works compare to Ascanio. Or perhaps I'll try something relatively unknown again; I hate it if I know how a book ends beforehands.

Next I'm returning to SFF land, so Anansi Boys it is. Can't wait to read more about Mr Nancy.

Will I like Lucifer's Hammer? I have a meh feeling about the description.

I suspect that you won't like it.

I read it when I was a teenager, and I thought it was OK at the time but a recent bad experience with Niven's Ringworld makes me suspect I wouldn't like it if I re-read it.

Finished The Emperor's Blades. Decent, but not the next great debut that early reviews on Goodreads are pumping. Now I am reading Fiddlehead by Cherie Priest, last in the Clockwork Century. Kind of sad to see this series end.

Finished The Emperor's Blades. Decent, but not the next great debut that early reviews on Goodreads are pumping. Now I am reading Fiddlehead by Cherie Priest, last in the Clockwork Century. Kind of sad to see this series end.

Not that GR reviews were ever that accurate, but lately they've been, I dunno, skewed too positive. Makes you wonder.

Almost finished with Liveship Traders - on one hand, it's totally engrossing most of the time, one more chapter, one more chapter... OTOH, I feel some nagging frustrations. I think it's better than the Assassin series in a lot of ways. Dragons are less of a stupid plot device, more developed - I was afraid it would end corny but think it avoided that by not leaving the dragons until the very end. It's more complex both in characterization and in plot threads. But I don't feel nearly as deeply about any of the characters and there's one in particular who's too awesomely awesomeist for my tastes.

I finished Liveship Traders. I sacrificed a lot of sleep to finish and can't quite marshall my thoughts about it. I enjoyed it overall. Took me an embarrassingly long time to identify one character, but I enjoyed the smattering of references to the Six Duchies and the previous trilogy.

I planned to take a break from the series after this trilogy, but it took me less than a day to cave and get Fool's Errand. It am a couple chapters in and really enjoying being back with Fitz, although dreading what new miseries he is going to find over the next 3 books.

I finished Liveship Traders. I sacrificed a lot of sleep to finish and can't quite marshall my thoughts about it. I enjoyed it overall. Took me an embarrassingly long time to identify one character, but I enjoyed the smattering of references to the Six Duchies and the previous trilogy.

I planned to take a break from the series after this trilogy, but it took me less than a day to cave and get Fool's Errand. It am a couple chapters in and really enjoying being back with Fitz, although dreading what new miseries he is going to find over the next 3 books.

I read them in the wrong order ( I read Liveships then the two Farseer trilogies) so I missed all the links.

The Tawny man, has a much happier run. I have seen it described as sickly sweet, I thought it was good, but it was a little bit sentimental.

Recently finished the Anne Somerset biography of Queen Anne. Truly amazing book. It's fun to read and well written. Started a previous book by Ms. Somerset about Elizabeth I. So far it is more of the same. Wonderful!

I suppose Mill on the Floss must languish on my nightstand a little while longer. . .

Looking forward to reading Neverwhere soon. Maybe during the holidays.

I just finished the republic of thieves and though I know just the bare bones of theater, having been involved in a play or two in my time, and absolutely nothing of politics, I enjoyed it nonetheless. 8/10

still reading whispers underground, raylan, caliban's war and the last werewolf at various stages of completion but i'm enjoying them all. to replace the republic of thieves i'm going to read one of the following:

1. reamde by Stephenson

2. fool's errand by hobb, in anticipation for hobb's new trilogy

3. iron jackal by wooding.

help me out ya'll. what were your favorite of the three?

Finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King over the weekend, although not as good as The Shining, I thought it was still a good book. The first third of the book has some creepy parts, but the rest of it plays out more like a thriller if anything; it definitely lost a bit of it`s horror by allowing the true knot to have a point of view throughout the book. I really liked how Dan Torrance was written as an adult; his trouble with alcoholism offered some really humanizing qualities in him; how he`s actively trying not to become his father, while still loving him regardless of the events at the Overlook Hotel. I`d recommend it to those who enjoyed The Shining

I just started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, I`m only about 50 pages in, but so far I think this could be a new addition to my favourites. It`s so beautifully written, and seems like an interesting story is to come, I`m pretty excited.

1. reamde by Stephenson

2. fool's errand by hobb, in anticipation for hobb's new trilogy

3. iron jackal by wooding.

help me out ya'll. what were your favorite of the three?

I really enjoyed The Iron Jackal, even more than the previous two books in the series. I wasn't a big fan of Reamde, it's got a reasonably entertaining thriller plot even if it does get a bit ridiculous at times (the writers of 24 would probably have rejected some parts of the terrorism plot as being a bit too implausible) but thrillers shouldn't ever be in excess of 1000 pages and although some of Stephenson's digressions were interesting it's far too long. I've not read Hobb, so I'd suggest The Iron Jackal.

Started The Long Price Quartet the other night. Very much enjoying it. I knew literally nothing about it beforehand, so it was a nice surprise to find that the worldbuilding and societies/cultures are fairly exotic and unique, which I love in fantasy. It's far, far too rarely employed.

Archived