What is lurking in the crypts of Winterfell?

Ice and fire freak

Does anyone get the feeling that there is something or someone in the Crypts of Winterfell?

Early in the books Rickon and Shaggy dog end up in there and both of them start acting in a strange way,I always put this down to Rickon being young and missing his family and the dog echoing his emotions but I now think there's more to it than that.

The next bit of evidence we have is from Theon,he gos down there when Roose and co hold Winterfell,I think he notices five swords missing,not sure how many Bran,Hodour took anyway regardless when Theon sees Asha he tells her of ghosts in Winterfell.

I can't help thinking that the Crypts are gonna be very important to the story and there's more levels where nobody has been I think so what do we think is lurking down there?

Thoughts anyone?

The next bit of evidence we have is from Theon,he gos down there when Roose and co hold Winterfell,I think he notices five swords missing,not sure how many Bran,Hodour took anyway regardless when Theon sees Asha he tells her of ghosts in Winterfell.

I thought the swords were taken by Mance's ladies.

Nothing. The crypts are just crypts and served two major purposes; introduced us to the Lyanna-Rhaegar-Robert triangle, and was used as a hiding spot by Bran and co. It has also had a symbolic use in a dream or two. Theon misremembers four or five swords being missing - Osha, Jojen, Meera, Hodor account for this, and if you really wanna get all iffy about it, Bran himself notes swords have rusted away completely on at least one statue, if not several. Jon dreams about the crypt and has a feeling he doesn't belong there - some argue this is because of his potential parentage, but its just as likely it is related to his bastardy as it is not the first time he's had feelings of not belonging to the Stark name.

At the very most perhaps some character visits a grave at some point, or the crypts are used symbolically in a dream again, but other than that nothing is going to come from it. No ghosts, no Arthur Dayne, no Robb zombie (hah), no nothing.

Does anyone get the feeling that there is something or someone in the Crypts of Winterfell?

Early in the books Rickon and Shaggy dog end up in there and both of them start acting in a strange way,I always put this down to Rickon being young and missing his family and the dog echoing his emotions but I now think there's more to it than that.

I can't help thinking that the Crypts are gonna be very important to the story and there's more levels where nobody has been I think so what do we think is lurking down there?

Thoughts anyone?

Some time ago somebody gave us a nice theory that postulated the presence of Mance in the crypts at the beginning of the story, which to me sounded pretty reasonable.

Some swords have been taken by the children before running away, other missing could have been taken again by Mance. I don't remember the link to such theory, search for it.

Some time ago somebody gave us a nice theory that postulated the presence of Mance in the crypts at the beginning of the story, which to me sounded pretty reasonable.

I dig that theory a lot actually. It doesnt explain why Jon keeps dreaming about it though. Something is hidden in there...

Some swords have been taken by the children before running away, other missing could have been taken again by Mance. I don't remember the link to such theory, search for it.

I dig that theory a lot actually. It doesnt explain why Jon keeps dreaming about it though. Something is hidden in there...

It was me, mates! Here's the link:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98266-crackpot-time-with-mance-the-human-why-i-think-mances-part-in-the-pink-letter-is-bs/

But I do think there's something else there. Among the options, I think there could be:

1. Something do with Lyanna, maybe something to prove Jon is her son (which could explain his dreams)

2. A secret way in and out of WF. There was a theory once about Osha finding some passage in the hot springs. Maybe it could go all the way through the crypts and out

3. Wights. That could be the reason for putting valyrian steel swords in the crypts, to keep the dead from leaving. Ned and Theon both think that, that the swords are keeping the vengeful spirits of dead Starks at bay, and since they were removed, Theon thinks the dead are angry

4. The hooded man's hiding place. I still think he could be Benjen

5. A dragon, the one Summer saw (if he did see something and it wasn't a figure of speech)

3. Wights. That could be the reason for putting valyrian steel swords in the crypts, to keep the dead from leaving. Ned and Theon both think that, that the swords are keeping the vengeful spirits of dead Starks at bay, and since they were removed, Theon thinks the dead are angry

Uh..? Were those swords really of Valyrian steel?

I thought it was a priceless steel of which only some families had at most one sword.. ..whereas the Stark had more of them?

I'm really being distracted while reading.. :)

Uh..? Were those swords really of Valyrian steel?

I thought it was a priceless steel of which only some families had at most one sword.. ..whereas the Stark had more of them?

I'm really being distracted while reading.. :)

I think you're right actually, some of those swords were rusty.

I'm the one who needs to pay more attention while reading :dunce:

Lyanna is buried with something that could provide evidence of Jon's heritage, either the original crown of the KitN that Aegon I took from Torrhen, or like Egg carried his father's ring, a ring bearing the Targaryen sigil.

Nothing. The crypts are just crypts and served two major purposes; introduced us to the Lyanna-Rhaegar-Robert triangle, and was used as a hiding spot by Bran and co. It has also had a symbolic use in a dream or two. Theon misremembers four or five swords being missing - Osha, Jojen, Meera, Hodor account for this, and if you really wanna get all iffy about it, Bran himself notes swords have rusted away completely on at least one statue, if not several. Jon dreams about the crypt and has a feeling he doesn't belong there - some argue this is because of his potential parentage, but its just as likely it is related to his bastardy as it is not the first time he's had feelings of not belonging to the Stark name.

At the very most perhaps some character visits a grave at some point, or the crypts are used symbolically in a dream again, but other than that nothing is going to come from it. No ghosts, no Arthur Dayne, no Robb zombie (hah), no nothing.

There was something in the crypts at one point - after Ned's death, when Hodor wouldn't even go there and Summer acted weird while RIckon and Shaggy had been down there the whole time. There's even a SSM to this, though I didn't think to save the link:

Hodor and the Crypts

After rereading both AGOT and ACOK I was wondering about one question: Why was Hodor not afraid of the crypts under Winterfell at the end of ACOK? In AGOT Hodor was very afraid of the crypts, he wouldn't take Bran down there, but in ACOK he stayed with Bran and Rickon in the crypt for quite a while, how did he stay there if he was so afraid?

Hodor was only afraid of the crypts =at that specific time.= Not before and not after.

Archived