Blackfyre and Dark Sister

Daemon the Desired

One of them may be with the Golden Company - Blackfyre I believe. So Aegon may be given it to help his claim.

The other was last used by Bloodraven, so either may be in King's Landing somewhere (he was in prison for a while) or he took it with him to the Wall - and perhaps beyond?

I think Aegon will end up with Blackfyre, a gift from the GC. Weather that helps or hurts his claim is another matter.

If for some reason, which I doubt, Bloodraven was allowed to take Darksister with him to the Wall, I think theres a chance it ends up with Jon. Either that or hidden in KL and possibly found by Varys.

The last time we know of someone using Blackfyre was the first Blackfyre Rebellion. It stands to reason that Bittersteel gave it to at least one son of Daemon in one of the three or four Blackfyre Rebellions that we know nothing about. I feel like if the Golden Company had it, they would probably have given it to Aegon in that chapter where they agree to follow him to Westeros.

Having said that, the Golden Company is still probably the best guess, for lack of any other options.

Blackfyre's last known wielder was Daemon Blackfyre and after he died Bittersteel took it across the Narrow Sea with him when he formed the Golden Company. It is commonly believed to still be in the possession of the GC and will be given to fAegon, adding to his claim.

Dark Sister was last known to be wielded by Bloodraven and it's commonly believed he took the sword to the wall with him. If he did take it with him it would either be hidden in Castle Black or another castle on the wall, or it could be in the cave with him. If it's in the cave he'd most likely give it to Bran and co to use, some people think it will eventually go to Arya. Some people think Dark Sister would have been left at KL, but if that were true we'd have information on more recent wielders (Rhaegar would have definitely used it and it would have been said he used it).

I think there's one minor theory that Dark Sister is actually Longclaw and the real Longclaw is still in Bear Island, this seems unlikely as Longclaw is described as a bastard sword and Dark Sister is described as a long sword.

The last time the two swords were together was during the Battle of the Redgrass Field IIRC. This is the battle where Bloodraven killed his brother Daemon and lost his eye to his other brother Bittersteel. It is thought that Bittersteel took Blackfyre with him when he fled across the Narrow Sea. It was the remainder of the Blackfyres who started the GC. As The Titan's Legitimate Son states: The GC may bestowe Balckfyre on Aegon. Though if they do does that solidify Aegon as fAegon?

Dark Sister was last known to be in the possesion of Bloodraven. The question is: does he gift it to Dany or Jon. I feel it will be Jon (just a gut feeling).

Dark Sister was last known to be wielded by Bloodraven and it's commonly believed he took the sword to the wall with him. If he did take it with him it would either be hidden in Castle Black or another castle on the wall, or it could be in the cave with him. If it's in the cave he'd most likely give it to Bran and co to use, some people think it will eventually go to Arya. Some people think Dark Sister would have been left at KL, but if that were true we'd have information on more recent wielders (Rhaegar would have definitely used it and it would have been said he used it).

I really doubt he took it to The Wall. He was imprisoned for something like twelve years after losing a power struggle against Maekar. I really doubt Aegon IV would have given the sword back to him for his trip to The Wall. The only way for Bloodraven to retain the sword would have been to hide it somewhere.

I don't think it's a given that if a Targaryen wielded Dark Sister after Bloodraven we would have heard about it. Dark Sister isn't even mention in the main novels once.

The chances are very bad indeed that Bloodraven did take Dark Sister with him to the Wall. Even Jeor Mormont only did get Longclaw after Jorah left it at Bear Island when he fled Westeros - which means that Jeor left Longclaw at Bear Island when he left Bear Island for the Wall and Jorah became Lord of Bear Island. Maege later on sent it to Jorah since she apparently had no use for it.

We can reasonably assume that the members of the noble houses are not allowed to take the family swords with them to the Wall - which makes sense since they are supposed to be very valuable.

The very fact that Bloodraven was allowed to wield Dark Sister may be testament to the trust Daeron II put into him, by the way. It would have been him who gave the sword to Bloodraven since he was way too young during the reign of the Unworthy to get the sword.

Dark Sister did remain in KL when Bloodraven was sent to the Wall.

Blackfyre should be in possession of the last surviving members of House Blackfyre, not necessarily in possession of the Golden Company. There are hints that it may be in one of the boxes Illyrio gave to Duck and Haldon at the very beginning of ADwD. Tyrion noticed that they were too light to contain gold or gems. Blackfyfre was always the best guess people come up with. Dragon eggs, ancient Targaryen armor, or perhaps even Dark Sister are possibilities.

I've always assumed that Dark Sister went North with Bloodraven, I think Valyrian steel swords are too valuable to be lost in normal situations, him being arrested would have most likely saw the sword fall back into possesion of the crown and most likely it would have been bestowed on a new Targ. Dark Sister was not as important as Blackfyre, since it is a secondary Targaryen sword, it is not unreasonable to assume that Egg let Bloodraven take it to the Wall with him, it's not like other Valyrian steel swords which are family swords. It is odd that not much is mentioned about the sword, maybe Dunk and Egg will shed some light on this.

Dark Sister was not as important as Blackfyre, since it is a secondary Targaryen sword.

It was, as far as we know, the only Valyrian steel sword the Targaryens had after the First Blackfyre Rebellion. I'm not even convinced that Aegon V was aware that Bloodraven was in the dungeons when he sent all the prisoners to accompany Aemon. I am fairly sure he wouldn't have returned the sword to Bloodraven without granting him a pardon.

I believe Darksister is with Bloodraven, and Blackfyre is with the package Ilyrio sent to Aegon. I believe if/when Jon Snow gets revived, he'll go to Bran and Bloodraven after seeing them in one of his comatose visions similar to Bran. While there he will be given Darksister as it's his right to wield it assuming R+L=J, and we all know how much bloodraven hates blackfyres so he'll encourage Jon to kill the imposter Aegon, wielding (you guessed it) Blackfyre. This could theoretically be the next Dance- Blackfyre vs Darksister. Would be awesome :fencing:

It was, as far as we know, the only Valyrian steel sword the Targaryens had after the First Blackfyre Rebellion. I'm not even convinced that Aegon V was aware that Bloodraven was in the dungeons when he sent all the prisoners to accompany Aemon. I am fairly sure he wouldn't have returned the sword to Bloodraven without granting him a pardon.

That's a good point, Egg wouldn't have given up his family's ancestral blade to someone going to the NW... So do you think Varys has it then? or was it lost at Summerhall or something?

That's a good point, Egg wouldn't have given up his family's ancestral blade to someone going to the NW... So do you think Varys has it then? or was it lost at Summerhall or something?

It shouldn't really have been lost in the fire at Summerhall, because we know regular fire doesn't damage Valyrian Steel from the Sons of the Dragon reading that Martin did recently. Again there were at least three more Blackfyre Rebellions after The Mystery Knight. Not to mention the uprising of the rebel lord that killed Maekar, and the political turmoil that Barristan suggests surrounded the Tragedy at Summerhall. That's a lot of opportunities for the sword to be lost. Not to mention things like sinking ships and whatnot. The fact is it hasn't been mentioned since the Dunk and Egg times, so it could be anywhere.

I'm glad this thread came up, because I was thinking about how Jon Connington's line looking at the golden skull of Bittersteel was very telling. He mentioned something about what Bittersteel has to smile about. I think Aegor died knowing his plans to seat a Blackfyre on the throne was all but realized. Aegon will definitely be wielding Blackfyre soon enough. Him being able to wield it effectively is another story.

My take on Dark Sister.

btw, while I'm not too inclined to believe that BR was aloud to take DS along when joining watch, I don't deem it as unlikely as some here do, Egg might've given it to him as a token of esteem for his services to the Targaryen-family, he does not share Maekar's disdain for Bloodraven.

Archived