Will Jon Snow be able to warg into a dragon because of his targaryen heritage?

lol, brill

aside from humor I think this is wishful thinking despite it being a Song of ice and Fire I think warging onto a direwolf is probably more likely.

Actually I think it's more wishful thinking that we have five living kids in the same family with the legit superpower of being able to possess wild animals and we have three dragons and people somehow think that the twain shall never meet. It is not IF someone can possess a dragon, it's WHEN. Whether it's Jon or Bran or someone else.

We don't know for sure how the Valyrians controlled their dragons, but I think that skinchanging is unlikely to be the explanation. The Valyrian dragon riders were awake while riding, no? Therefore, skinchanging appears to only come from the Children of the Forest and possibly the Others, so skinchanging into a dragon has nothing to do with being of Valyrian descent.

:lmao: He does have a scar on his cheek, has anyone verified it's shape yet?

In all seriousness though, both Alysanne and Jaehaerys travelled frequently to the North and their dragons didn't get warged (as far as we know).

Even the eagle scar on his cheek has a dedicated thread btw. *shakes head in disbelief*

The dragons intellect is comparable to an ordinary dog. The question isn't whether Jon can warg a dragon (he can, like pretty much every other skinchanger), but why you assume that only Targs could warg a dragon.

IWell, Varamyr had a difficult time trying to control the snow bear and he was an experienced skinchanger. I think if anyone wargs into a dragon it'll be Bran the greenseer.

I'm comfortable with the idea that one must be a Targaryen-blooded skinchanger and/or a greenseer in order to warg a dragon. Do we have any of those lying around?

I don't know why we're assuming that controlling a dragon = skinchanging. As long a swarging/skinchangig is concerned, to think that Jon will become a more powerful warg than Bloodraven or Bran is preposterous. If however Targaryen heritage is needed to control a dragon, anyone with Targ/Valyrian blood will be able to do it. Or someone with a dragonhorn.

Or are we assuming here that someone with both Targ and Stark ancestry will warg a dragon - warging~ Stark, dragon ~ Targaryen. This is a possibility, but warging a dragon in my view is a cheap reveal for R + L = J.

A dangerous women spoiler brought out how, Targ descendants are pursued in order to be able to bond with dragons. The problem that presents is poltical agendas have to be met. If you cannot trust the dragon rider it could present problems. Their is know mentioning if dragons can be warged remember warging is a rarity in this world. However Bran has dreams of where he is soaring and promised one day he will fly higher. I feel this forshadows he will warg a dragon at some point. And that Jon will also warg a dragon, just seems natural. Bran as a greenseer and Jon being a warg and targ.

Jon for Senate ---- he's the dragonrider we trust!

Or would you rather have HIM patrolling your skies? (Euron is shown in slow motion drunkenly petting a chamber pot while creepy piano music plays). (Source: black-and-white stock footage from AFFC. This ad was paid for by Readers for Handsome DragonRiding).

::::

I only see one Stark reaching out past wolves to other animals, and that's Arya. Jon will likely continue being content with wolf. Now if his near death experience involves mental contact with the greenseers, that could jolt Jon's warg powers awake in a new way, paving the road to dragoneering. Sadly, the wolf could die as a result of keeping Jon's identity alive long enough to retake his body? That'd also clear the way for a new animal bond with the dragon. But if there's no warg-boosting electroshock from Bran & Raven, then I think Jon is basically not set up to warg dragons. It's not that dragons are too smart, it's that they're too potent. (For all the people who love to point out that dragons are dumb.) So my seven day forecast is that we'll see the combo approach to dragon control: Bran-warged / Jon-ridden. The Targaryen parentage of Jon just makes it all extra erotic, like fate.

I like that idea. But it shouldn't be that easy. So I'll add another requirement: two eyes.

:lol:

I think BR will die before Dany's dragons even come North. I think Jon will be able to warg one of Dany's dragons, likely Drogon. I think it will be the test Dany presents for Jon to prove his heritage. I don't think she will let him use a dragonhorn saying if she could mount a dragon without the horn, than Jon could too.

But if there's no warg-boosting electroshock from Bran & Raven, then I think Jon is basically not set up to warg dragons. It's not that dragons are too smart, it's that they're too potent. (For all the people who love to point out that dragons are dumb.) So my seven day forecast is that we'll see the combo approach to dragon control: Bran-warged / Jon-ridden. The Targaryen parentage of Jon just makes it all extra erotic, like fate.

Very nicely put. I also believe that if someone can "warg" a dragon it is Bran/Bloodraven.

The First Men originally came from Essos. We know that greensight/skinchanging is practiced by the CotF many years before the First Men. And we know that it runs in the blood. So far I never wondered how the first First Man to have the gift, or the alpha in terms of Supernatural :) acquired this gift. It was either in their blood too, or they get this trait by interbreeding with the CotF. If the skichanging gene does not originate from a CotF ancestor in humans, then it is possible that every human society have the ability to produce some skinchangers.

Although I believe that CotF and First Men blood is mixed in the ancient history, I think skinganging gene is found in every human society. I have a suspicion that Jaqen and Arya's first encounter resembles Varamyr and Jon's first encounter. A skinchanger can know other skinchangers at first sight. Varamyr noticed Jon's gift when he saw him. Maybe Jaqen has the gift too and noticed Arya's gift in the first place.

By the way last Supernatural episode was awesome. That dog in the cage told Dean "Pretty boy, over here" just like Jaqen :D

Even the eagle scar on his cheek has a dedicated thread btw. *shakes head in disbelief*

I don't know why we're assuming that controlling a dragon = skinchanging. As long a swarging/skinchangig is concerned, to think that Jon will become a more powerful warg than Bloodraven or Bran is preposterous. If however Targaryen heritage is needed to control a dragon, anyone with Targ/Valyrian blood will be able to do it. Or someone with a dragonhorn.

Or are we assuming here that someone with both Targ and Stark ancestry will warg a dragon - warging~ Stark, dragon ~ Targaryen. This is a possibility, but warging a dragon in my view is a cheap reveal for R + L = J.

Skinchanging and dragon bonding are not related.

Every skinchanger should have the potential to warg a dragon, since they can warg pretty much any animal (as a group). And in the case of the greenseers even plants, anything that lives.

On the other hand, there are ways to bond with a dragon not related to skinchanging, employed by the Targs.

Two different approaches to deal with a dragon, three if the dragon horn is something separate as well.

Skinchanging and dragon bonding are not related.

Every skinchanger should have the potential to warg a dragon, since they can warg pretty much any animal (as a group). And in the case of the greenseers even plants, anything that lives.

On the other hand, there are ways to bond with a dragon not related to skinchanging, employed by the Targs.

Two different approaches to deal with a dragon, three if the dragon horn is something separate as well.

Yes, that's what I said. :)

:lmao: He does have a scar on his cheek, has anyone verified it's shape yet?

In all seriousness though, both Alysanne and Jaehaerys travelled frequently to the North and their dragons didn't get warged (as far as we know).

There is the option that they control dragons through warging like abilities... What happens if two people try to warg the same creature at the same time? Do we know?

We don't know for sure how the Valyrians controlled their dragons, but I think that skinchanging is unlikely to be the explanation. The Valyrian dragon riders were awake while riding, no? Therefore, skinchanging appears to only come from the Children of the Forest and possibly the Others, so skinchanging into a dragon has nothing to do with being of Valyrian descent.

According to Dany, the Valyrians contorlled their dragons with binding spells and dragon horns. As Haggon told Varamyr, some animals are harder to warg into. I think dragons could be especially hard to warg into given their intrinsic magical aspect, especially since it is based in fire the opposite of the magic warging is based, ice.

Septon Barth when talking about dragons, refers to their Unnatural History and their connection to magic rooted in fire and blood. The First Men were exposed to the magic based in ice and living wood native to Westeros, which included warging while Valyrians were exposed to the magic based in fire in their home of Valyria where the dragons were, partly explaining their unnatural coloring with silver-gold hair and violet eyes. I think Jon's inherent Valyrian connection to the magic based in fire through his father will aid his ice-based magic of warging in providing something to help establish a connection with the fire-based magic of the dragon; kind of like a clownfish's mucus mixing with the mucus of the poisonous sea anemone for the sea anemone for the clownfish to be accepted by the sea anemone as part of it.

According to Dany, the Valyrians contorlled their dragons with binding spells and dragon horns. As Haggon told Varamyr, some animals are harder to warg into. I think dragons could be especially hard to warg into given their intrinsic magical aspect, especially since it is based in fire the opposite of the magic warging is based, ice.

Septon Barth when talking about dragons, refers to their Unnatural History and their connection to magic rooted in fire and blood. The First Men were exposed to the magic based in ice and living wood native to Westeros, which included warging while Valyrians were exposed to the magic based in fire in their home of Valyria where the dragons were, partly explaining their unnatural coloring with silver-gold hair and violet eyes. I think Jon's inherent Valyrian connection to the magic based in fire through his father will aid his ice-based magic of warging in providing something to help establish a connection with the fire-based magic of the dragon; kind of like a clownfish's mucus mixing with the mucus of the poisonous sea anemone for the sea anemone for the clownfish to be accepted by the sea anemone as part of it.

Skinchanging as Ice magic does not sound plausible to me. BR says skinchanging ability runs in the blood, so I assume that skinchanging is a blood magic, possibly caused by a recessive gene. Because none of Varamyr's siblings and children had the gift.

Right now I am working on a theory about the origins of skinchanging and possible shapeshifting in ASOIAF universe. My best leads so far include the testimony of Freys about RW in White Harbour. They told that the northerners transformed into werevolves. Although this is BS, there must be some tales in the lore to come up with such a story. If such a thing is never heard before, Freys would tell a different story. Sansa is also accused to transform into a bat-wolf hybrid. These all make me believe that there are tales of people shapeshifting into animals/beasts. And we know two mad Targaryens who think they are dragons in human form. THeir belief also must have some basis.

Skinchanging as Ice magic does not sound plausible to me. BR says skinchanging ability runs in the blood, so I assume that skinchanging is a blood magic, possibly caused by a recessive gene. Because none of Varamyr's siblings and children had the gift.

Leaf says to Bran it's his blood that makes him a greenseer, implying he was born a greenseer. If it is genetic, that doesn't mean it isn't rooted in ice and living wood as I don't see any fire or blood sacrifice involved.

Archived