Will Bravos be pro or anti Dany?

Dave17

I don't need to reread that chapter, it's been falsely pointed out like its a smoking gun of slavery several times on here.

Servants in Westeros are only paid with food and shelter. Plenty in Braavos are only paid in food and shelter.

Proof?

I remember Cersei recalling she would need to subtract wages from her maids since they "shrunk" her dress?

And again, you still need to address her profiting from slavery.

Proof?

I remember Cersei recalling she would need to subtract wages from her maids since they "shrunk" her dress?

And again, you still need to address her profiting from slavery.

Arya never got anything for her work

The Black Brothers don't pay, if you want to say they're criminals it doesn't count, you can say the same about the guy Dany makes work, he's a war criminal.

And to address her profiting from slavery, all of ASOIAF profits from slavery. We see this when the closing of slavers bays effects the world economy all the way to Westeros.

To call the one and only person in the series who has done anything to significantly slow slavery down a big bad slaver would be pretty ridiculous.

I don't think Braavos will see her as a slaver based on grey areas of "gotcha" slavery.

They have their own grey areas.

Assuming the Iron Bank isn't paid their money back...wouldn't supporting Dany taking Westeros sorta help them with the whole The Iron Bank getting their due? meaning that Dany would be ridding Westeros of the Lannister Bitch Queen?

Does anyone here think Daenerys would ever pay Robert's debts? And that anyone would ever deal with her with her reputation when it comes to the "art of trade".

I would have to say anti because Braavos keeps it real.

The titan might even come to life and swat those flying trust funds.

"The Black Brothers don't pay, "

Do we know that for sure?

​I always assumed they made some paltry amount. Like some living stipend.

​How else could they regularly go, "dig for buried treasure".

I guess its possible they pay in kind, but I would feel like a serious broke ass if i had to pay my hookers in turnips.

Pro: One enemy is not the other. When someone offers to pay back all the debts owed to you for the IT; will end the slavery you dislike opening up trade to cities you would not do buisness with before. The Braavosi will back that. Also I find it interesting that most feel this will not happen. If the Braavosi did not like Dany's initiatives would they not be fighting her at present?

I think they would offer Dany the same deal they offered Stannis if they found out she had Westeros plans

The last time someone sold Danaerys an army, she turned around and used that same army to murder the salesman and take back her payment. The Iron Bank would have to be either desperate or idiots to expect Dany to make good on any loans they gave her or the previous administration. She might not murder them because they aren't slavers, but pay them back... no. In a world with very poor legal means to enforce contracts, reputation is everything and Danaerys destroyed her reputation.

The last time someone sold Danaerys an army, she turned around and used that same army to murder the salesman and take back her payment. The Iron Bank would have to be either desperate or idiots to expect Dany to make good on any loans they gave her or the previous administration. She might not murder them because they aren't slavers, but pay them back... no. In a world with very poor legal means to enforce contracts, reputation is everything and Danaerys destroyed her reputation.

Pretty much, yeah. Dany has her good qualities but that was treachery beyond what most people would be comfortable with. It's not as bad as breaking guest-right but it's pretty close -- her reputation in Essos as far as this aspect goes is probably down there with Lord Walder's in Westeros. The Iron Bank won't deal with Dany unless they have some leverage on her or if she's their last resort; that doesn't seem to be the case here, since Daenerys has demonstrated no obvious signs of wanting to return to Westeros while they already have Stannis in Westeros who they think they can trust.

Does anyone here think Daenerys would ever pay Robert's debts? And that anyone would ever deal with her with her reputation when it comes to the "art of trade".

I'm not implying Dany would repay his debts, but it would make one hell of a lesson to anyone else that might think of defaulting on their loans. The saying is "The Iron Bank will get its due" does that have to mean money? I took this as meaning that people should know better, because either you repay your debt (which is the Iron Throne's debt at this point) or your ass is gone....dead, disgraced, whatever.... wouldn't that still be them getting their due? Not to mention it is one hell of a cautionary tale for anyone else thinking of defaulting or blowing them off.

Stannis is still a long shot at this point, granted he assumed ALL of the debt...

but if Stannis isn't in a position to pay them back, I would think that Bravoos (the Iron Bank) might be more in favor of supporting Dany vs. opposing her.

I'm not implying Dany would repay his debts, but it would make one hell of a lesson to anyone else that might think of defaulting on their loans. The saying is "The Iron Bank will get its due" does that have to mean money? I took this as meaning that people should know better, because either you repay your debt (which is the Iron Throne's debt at this point) or your ass is gone....dead, disgraced, whatever.... wouldn't that still be them getting their due? Not to mention it is one hell of a cautionary tale for anyone else thinking of defaulting or blowing them off.

Stannis is still a long shot at this point, granted he assumed ALL of the debt...

but if Stannis isn't in a position to pay them back, I would think that Bravoos (the Iron Bank) might be more in favor of supporting Dany vs. opposing her.

Yea, but think of this way -- Stannis is already in Westeros. He has an army, a few castles, a red wizard, and experience as a battle commander. Daenerys is in Essos, encircled by enemies, with no (apparent) ability or active interest in moving to Westeros. It doesn't make too much sense for them to send Dany to Westeros since all that would mean is that it would be harder for their guy (Stannis) to win and even if he won he would have less money/resources to pay back all those debts he just assumed.

Yea, but think of this way -- Stannis is already in Westeros. He has an army, a few castles, a red wizard, and experience as a battle commander. Daenerys is in Essos, encircled by enemies, with no (apparent) ability or active interest in moving to Westeros. It doesn't make too much sense for them to send Dany to Westeros since all that would mean is that it would be harder for their guy (Stannis) to win and even if he won he would have less money/resources to pay back all those debts he just assumed.

Right...and if Stannis wins they get their money, which at this point a win win for them.

But with regards to Dany....I think they have more of a reason to support her or stay neutral, then they have to oppose her.

I am curious what will happen when a Red Priest/or Mel comes into contact with fire incarnate (a dragon) The dragon her dumb ass has been trying to conjur from Kings blood since the 2nd book.

Right...and if Stannis wins they get their money, which at this point a win win for them.

But with regards to Dany....I think they have more of a reason to support her or stay neutral, then they have to oppose her.

I am curious what will happen when a Red Priest/or Mel comes into contact with fire incarnate (a dragon) The dragon her dumb ass has been trying to conjur from Kings blood since the 2nd book.

That makes sense. I don't think that they should try to disrupt Dany just because it's not worth the time/effort to bother her when she isn't anywhere near them. But they won't break their alliance with Stannis though or help her invade Westeros unless he is dead and they have no other options.

As far as the red priests go -- many of them are agitating in favor of Dany (in Volantis, or Moqorro trying to get at Dany). They don't seem to be afraid of her dragons but maybe they should be...

My concern is why no one can spell Braavos correctly. :P

This is something I have no idea about. They are anti-dragons, but they're ant-slavery too. I think they'll be divided amongst themselves as to whether support her or not.

Well i think it depends on whos really pulling the strings in Braavos. Isnt the Iron Bank? Is it the Sealord? Is it the FM? Is it all of them working as a unit? (given the nature of the FM, this is possible.) I actually think they will perceive the dragons as a huge threat. I also think if Dany upsets trade from the other Free Cities, Braavos will be quite...annoyed.

Archived