Will Bravos be pro or anti Dany?

Dave17

If Stannis dies, who knows. But thinking they would back two players against each other is the stupidest idea I have heard in a long time...

Please explain why you think it's stupid, because I think it's stupid to put all your eggs in one basket.

Presumably, the plan is to get their loans replayed.

The plan relys on only one thing, that Stannis wins the IT. That's stupid IMO

Please explain why you think it's stupid, because I think it's stupid to put all your eggs in one basket.

It's questionable because they are loaning money. They will lose money no matter what if they back multiple people. Notice Stannis agreed to pay back for Joffery's previous debts, not any debts the Lannisters incurred from then on. No one would agree to that.

Also, reputation. The Iron Bank has a fearsome reputation because whoever they back tends to win. It wouldn't be fearsome if they backed any and everybody. It would be "duh, they back everybody."

If Stannis nor Shireen nor any other possible heir to his claim take the Throne, then the Iron Bank will have to find another way to get their money. This could very well be going to Dany and offering the same deal if the war is still going on.

How do we know that whomever the IB backs tends to win? All we've been told is that they tend to topple existing regimes when they don't pay their bills, that's where the fearsome rep comes from.

Nothing is said about how they carry out plans when there are multiple sources trying to win a crown.

How do we know it's not standard op for them to back multiple people when those type wars break out?

They start wars to get rid of defaulting rulers, they didn't start this war. It was already raging well before they reached out to Stannis and well before Cersei told them to go fuk off

Sometimes it better to know your definitely going to lose 10 dollars in exchange for guaranteeing yourself 100 dollars.

My own view is that the IB is so powerful, and so mixed up in politics, that it has to be seen as an arm of the Braavosi State. It backs Stannis. I can't see the Braavosi government backing some other contender. Nor do I think they'd have backed Stannis without the government's endorsement.

If Stannis fails, they'll reconsider their options.

The Iron Bank has to chose a side, throw their weight behind it, and stick with them. They have done that now I think with Stannis. Before Dany even gets to Westeros, the Iron Bank will likely have spent a hell of a lot on Stannis. They will lose all that if they change sides.

^ this is a very good point. have to see what the average citizen thinks mind.

Yes. It is dumb to put all your eggs in one basket. It is even dumber to divide them into two baskets and then bash the baskets together until the eggs in one basket are completely ruined.

The Iron Bank is going to spend a lot of money to win Stannis his throne. That means more and more loans. And these loans will only be repaid by Stannis, as Dany is obviously not going to pay for the sellsword army that she had to fight against.

It is simply not the same as the lords who send a son to either side of the war to make sure they are on the winning side. The Braavosi are putting their weight and money behind Stannis, and they do not want to lose that.

That's the way I see it, anyway. And it is not like they have been trying to keep a foot in Cersei's court. Why would they back just Dany as well as Stannis? Why have they not sent envoys to all contenders (I.e. Iron Islands and such)? For the reasons I say, of course - it is way too costly. The Iron Bank did not get rich by backing losers. Esp. losers they destroyed themselves... on purpose...

How do we know that whomever the IB backs tends to win? All we've been told is that they tend to topple existing regimes when they don't pay their bills, that's where the fearsome rep comes from.

Nothing is said about how they carry out plans when there are multiple sources trying to win a crown.

How do we know it's not standard op for them to back multiple people when those type wars break out?

They start wars to get rid of defaulting rulers, they didn't start this war. It was already raging well before they reached out to Stannis and well before Cersei told them to go fuk off

Sometimes it better to know your definitely going to lose 10 dollars in exchange for guaranteeing yourself 100 dollars.

We don't KNOW anything. We're just saying it is unlikely and pretty dumb besides. General bad business.

I don't think they can be in that deep with Stannis in comparison with years of debt from Roberts administration.

Are they prepared to back him to the bitter end in the event the war is long and grueling with no end? I doubt they have any emotional attachment to Stannis, the goal is to rid the Throne of the defaulting administration and replace with one who agrees to pay the debt. Clearly the decision doesn't stem from them falling in love with Stannis.

There's no reason to be anti-contender who isn't Stannis, If Dany or anyone else agrees to pay stuff back and they think she is the favorite to win I don't see why they won't deal with her and still fall back on the Stannis deal if she's defeated.

We don't KNOW anything. We're just saying it is unlikely and pretty dumb besides. General bad business.

Agreed. If the Iron Bank backs Dany before Stannis is defeated, it would basically be them pitting one champion against another. It would be a waste of money. If you think about it -- let's say Stannis turns the tide at Winterfell and begins to gather strength. If he's about to march on the Lannisters and Tyrells in KL, would it really make sense the Bank to toss in another claimant who is just going to bleed his strength? The worst case scenario is that they'll basically recreate the War of the Five Kings again -- that is, this time Stannis will be like Renly, the one with the strength to sweep the board clean of his enemies and Dany will be like Stannis, the wildcard who will smash up all his plans. All of this will cost a ridiculous amount of money and in the end all it would mean is that whoever wins will be less able to pay back the loans (since the war just suddenly cost even more than it needed to).

Now, it might make sense for the IB to back Dany if Stannis and Shireen die, as a backup plan. It may even make sense for the IB to help Dany in Meereen just to cultivate her as an ace in the hole just in case something happens in Stannis. But it doesn't really make sense for them to spend all this time and money helping Stannis only to send someone else in after him before he even has a chance to succeed or fail.

I think plan A is to teach the Iron Throne (dumb Cersei and the Lannisters) a lesson AND get paid....

but I also think another priority is to say, ok, well they didn't pay US (the Iron Bank) back....but they also got the royal shit knocked out of them....BTW if anyone else thinks about not paying them back, think again. I think the Iron Bank getting their due is about the money, yes, but its also about teaching a lesson to anyone that dares not pay (i.e. Tywin and the Reins and Tarbecks) Ya, try it, remember these guys? Or remember when the Lannisters ruled?

thats why I think that the Iron Bank and Bravos will be much more pro Dany....because they aren't stupid enough to put all their hope (or eggs) in one Stannis/basket.

let's say Stannis turns the tide at Winterfell and begins to gather strength

Well the Iron Bank will have already turned the tide just by Stannis signing the contract. Obviously, they will immediately hire a huge army of sellswords and take Kings Landing fairly soon, I imagine...

In any case, I think the whole west is being set up to be anti Dany. You have the Iron Bank in Braavos which represents the ruling elite of that city already backing Stannis. And then the promise to deliver Pentos to the Tattered Prince, which will turn the elite of the other cities against her. Only the slaves in some of these cities will support her, but the elite will all hate her. Which would make for a bloodbath, really. And after that massacre, the common folk of Westeros are not going to welcome a foreign invading army. Not after so much war already, anyhow.

In any case, I think the whole west is being set up to be anti Dany. You have the Iron Bank in Braavos which represents the ruling elite of that city already backing Stannis. And then the promise to deliver Pentos to the Tattered Prince, which will turn the elite of the other cities against her. Only the slaves in some of these cities will support her, but the elite will all hate her. Which would make for a bloodbath, really. And after that massacre, the common folk of Westeros are not going to welcome a foreign invading army. Not after so much war already, anyhow.

That's possible. If Dany is marching West with hordes of Dothraki and freedmen, with slaves and followers of the Red God revolting in her favour, then by default, everyone else will oppose her.

My own view is that the IB is so powerful, and so mixed up in politics, that it has to be seen as an arm of the Braavosi State. It backs Stannis. I can't see the Braavosi government backing some other contender. Nor do I think they'd have backed Stannis without the government's endorsement.

If Stannis fails, they'll reconsider their options.

If the Iron Bank is anything like the international banks in our world, which is very like what it's based on, the Braavosi state is probably an arm of the Iron Bank. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Iron Bank and the Faceless Men had a Knights Templar (one of the first international banks)/Assassins type relationship.

If the Iron Bank is anything like the international banks in our world,

then they will prolonge the war as much as they can. Because the banks basicly give their money with one hand (loans) and take it by the other hand (selling weapons and soldiers). During the process people fight and kill each other and the bank makes profit of this in great proportions.

then they will prolonge the war as much as they can. Because the banks basicly give their money with one hand (loans) and take it by the other hand (selling weapons and soldiers). During the process people fight and kill each other and the bank makes profit of this in great proportions.

Exactly. In many cases, they're funding both sides of the wars.

Is there any evidence the Iron Bank is actually doing this? No.

Archived