Marvel Netflix - Daredevil, Iron Fist etc.

red snow

My main question is "will the people who make Agents of SHIELD" be involved and will it imitate that style, If so my expectations are massively lowered.

I'm hoping netflix will encourage the same quality in their other original shows though and the 13 episode seasons should hopefully make them get to the point quicker. This line-up also allows Marvel to try out some street level super-heroics which DC seems to be having a lot of success with in Arrow.

Hopefully the shows will still be distinct. Daredevil has a lot of promise. Alias worked well as a PI show (and it's pretty easy to see how it could crossover with Daredevil in terms of him being a lawyer. I'll be interested to see how they handle Iron Fist and Luke Cage though. Obviously in the comics they are a partnership but this may be a harder sell in TV.

I guess they thought "heroes for hire" was a bit naff as a team-up title and went for "defenders" instead.

Very intrigued.

Wonder if this will be the eventual home for Blade, GhostRider and some of the other darker marvel heroes?

Wow, this either makes them tons of money or turns out horribly for Netflix.

It goes back to just how much superhero stuff do people want?

Netflix Orders Four Marvel Live-Action Series

Netflix and Disney announced a multiyear deal under which Marvel Television will develop four original live-action series based on four of Marvel’s popular street-hero characters, set to bow in 2015.

Financial terms were not disclosed. Under the agreement, Marvel will develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event, unfolding over several years. The four series, set in the underworld of Hell’s Kitchen in New York, are to include “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage.”

eta: formatting

At the end of the day, good writers can make a good story out of anything. But I have to question the wisdom of taking four characters who offers basically the same kind of perspective on the Marvel Universe and giving them all their own series. With "Iron Fist" there's obviously some flavor baked in to the premise, but Luke Cage, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones (at least as portrayed in Alias) all cover basically the same territory - a street level view of NYC superheroics.

I'm interested in seeing how the Daredevil show comes out, but that's about it, don't care about the others. I hope it's good, cause seeing some of the darker, grittier Marvel heroes on-screen would be a huge deal for me.

Oh, and who the hell is Jessica Jones?

Wonder if this will be the eventual home for Blade, GhostRider and some of the other darker marvel heroes?

That would be great, but I wonder how that would work with special effects? I assume most of these Netflix type shows are done with minimal budgets for that sort of thing, and Ghost Rider would require a pretty good amount of CGI magicry.

Jessica Jones was the protagonist in the Brian Michael Bendis title Alias. Jones is a former low-level superhero that abandons the whole costume thing and becomes a private investigator.

For obvious reasons the show won't be called "Alias".

Jessica Jones (or AKA: Jessica Jones, as it was known at one stage) was iirc the show Marvel were looking at developing with abc before they went the Agents of Shield route. Since Luke Cage and possibly Heroes for Hire were heavily hinted at being involved in that show, it seems as if that project has evolved into this one.

I also had to look up who the hell Jessica jones is. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, though I'd rather see Punisher, Ghost Rider or Moon Knight used in some capacity. Hopefully it's nothing like Agents of Shield, a show which focuses on the least interesting people in the Marvel universe.

I'm interested in seeing how the Daredevil show comes out, but that's about it, don't care about the others. I hope it's good, cause seeing some of the darker, grittier Marvel heroes on-screen would be a huge deal for me.

She lets Luke Cage in by the back door. That was her initial claim to fame. If netflix goes more HBO I guess they'll keep that in.

Sounds great, but as usual it's all about the writing/directing. Like Nestor said, anything can be good with the appropriate writer(s). Also I had no idea that the character from Alias was from Marvel.

She isn't and that's why they aren't going to use the name alias for the show. She's a completely different character. Like Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel.

That would be great, but I wonder how that would work with special effects? I assume most of these Netflix type shows are done with minimal budgets for that sort of thing, and Ghost Rider would require a pretty good amount of CGI magicry.

Hadn't thought of that. They could cop out and only have him go all skully when he's in real trouble?

At the end of the day, good writers can make a good story out of anything. But I have to question the wisdom of taking four characters who offers basically the same kind of perspective on the Marvel Universe and giving them all their own series. With "Iron Fist" there's obviously some flavor baked in to the premise, but Luke Cage, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones (at least as portrayed in Alias) all cover basically the same territory - a street level view of NYC superheroics.

On one hand I suppose they have picked them because they can be in the same kind of adventures but I agree they'll have to distinguish them. But Daredil could be courtroom drama with fisticuffs, Jessica Jones could be straight up crime noir, Luke Cage could be involved in gang/community level crime such as drugs etc and Iron Fist can.... fight ninjas

If I were netflix/marvel and had balls of steel I'd pitch it as superhero "the wire". Same part of NY and each season focuses on a different aspect of hell's kitchen; law, police, gangs and ....ninjas.

The order makes sense to me:

Daredevil is the street level hero, Jessica Jones is the reporter who is sort of a hero, Iron Fist is a combination of Batman and Kung Fu Hussle, and then they bring it around again with Luke Cage revisiting the street level.

eta:

Four shows? I love Marvel, but gosh I definitely think Netflix could be doing better with at least half of those shows. This is a fledgling original network, variety is what they need.

But it's only one a season, and I think each one can be distinct.

But it's only one a season, and I think each one can be distinct.

Fair enough. That does make it more reasonable but I still don't think it's the wisest decision for Netflix. So out of their first, let's say 20 original shows, 5 of them will be Marvel superhero shows.... I'd rather see Netflix branch out and expand. But it does seem in tune with Netflix's brand, I can admit that much.

Ultimately I'll just watch the shows and see how good they are. That's the most important part of course. But I'm looking forward to seeing Netflix blossom and this just seems like an enormous commitment so early in the game.

On one hand I suppose they have picked them because they can be in the same kind of adventures but I agree they'll have to distinguish them. But Daredil could be courtroom drama with fisticuffs, Jessica Jones could be straight up crime noir, Luke Cage could be involved in gang/community level crime such as drugs etc and Iron Fist can.... fight ninjas

Yeah... the big problem with these superhero mash-up genres is that I don't think they really work. I mean... can you actually imagine a TV "courtroom drama with superhero fisticuffs" actually working? I honestly cannot. A good courtroom drama is difficult enough to pull off, and a good tv action show is as well - I simply cannot imagine them doing both successfully.

Yeah... the big problem with these superhero mash-up genres is that I don't think they really work. I mean... can you actually imagine a TV "courtroom drama with superhero fisticuffs" actually working? I honestly cannot. A good courtroom drama is difficult enough to pull off, and a good tv action show is as well - I simply cannot imagine them doing both successfully.

I don't know - they've done plenty of other quirky court shows like Ally Macbeal and Eli Stone to name but two so there is a potential audience if it works. I think a defense lawyer who potentially beats up his clients could be interesting.

Marvel's success over the last several years has been in making things work that everyone dismissed as foolhardy. Shared movieverse, Thor, Avengers. Ok SHIELD is a bit lame so far but maybe approaching the TV world with actual known comic characters (Daredevil being the stand-out lead) is the way they need to go about it?

Fair enough. That does make it more reasonable but I still don't think it's the wisest decision for Netflix. So out of their first, let's say 20 original shows, 5 of them will be Marvel superhero shows.... I'd rather see Netflix branch out and expand. But it does seem in tune with Netflix's brand, I can admit that much.

Ultimately I'll just watch the shows and see how good they are. That's the most important part of course. But I'm looking forward to seeing Netflix blossom and this just seems like an enormous commitment so early in the game.

I can see why netflix is interested. Look at the box office that the collective movies are bringing in.If they can get a potion of that audience to pay for netflix 3 months a year it's definitely going to be worth it (if I were them I'd push for the shows rolling out at least twice a year). They may need to consider whether they should release a whole season at once though.

Plus - how much of Netflix's money is going into the project? I'm guessing Disney/Marvel will still put money into it as well.

The way I look at it - if this pays off it'll probably allow Netflix to make 10 other types of show to add to its portfolio.

Archived