Who is the best military commander in fire and ice?

Except for the fact that it was saving him...

Let's agree to disagree. Because Robb losing numbers and failing to bring his commanders under control was eventually going to affect him on the battlefield. His most impressive feat imo was stalling Tywin and smacking Jaime at Riverrun who was stupid enough to tackle him head on.

Anyone who has opportunity to do so is free to lead an army into battle and attempt to outwit and outfight an enemy while at the same time inspiring and leading one's own forces, as well as dealing with politics of one's bannermen and subordinates, logistical concerns, and the legion of other matters which a wartime commander has to deal with, and "see what happens."

There were many great generals who prevailed solely based on own balls and brains, no supernatural superweapons required.

Sounds like Dany to me, she has never used her dragons in battle.

If phsycological advantages are cheating, then Stannis and all the boys are cheaters over Dany because they were born with a penis.

That's a gigantic advantage phsycholigacally when it comes to leading men.

Deploying a dragon in battle still involves strategy, I am sure anyone that went all out alone with a dragon without planning would get killed.

sure I'm not denying the importance of deployment or formation (they're some of the most important things )

but someone who could do it without dragons is arguably the better commander

it's guns vs swords

Similar Robert, though he didn't invest in PR, as the winning king and a charismatic guy, a lot of the current generation of knights attribute Jon Arryn's and Ned Stark's victories to him. He was good, but not as good as them.

We know directly of Robert winning three battles by himself during RR, while he was also instrumental in the victory of the two other major battles of the rebellion(The Bells and Trident).

In contrast, we don't have any major examples of battles that Ned and Jon Arryn won solely by themselves as Robert or other major commanders were also available during their major victories.

Simply, from what we can judge Robert was just as good as Ned and Jon Arryn if not better.

If phsycological advantages are cheating, then Stannis and all the boys are cheaters over Dany because they were born with a penis.

seriously :rolleyes:

So she never said 'Dracarys' when taking Astapor?

Yes..seriously.

I'd take issue if you think being a male military commander isn't a huge advantage over being a female commander.

People treating you as a god because you have dragons > having a penis.

Male commanders usually have an edge over females, that's true but the dragons pretty much leveled that playing field in Danys favour.

Ok once, still a baby dragon is soooo much more cheating than having a vicious wolf protecting you?

I don't think any of that is cheating. Dragons, Shadowbabies, Wargs, Wolves, Giants, Mammoths..if you have them, use them, There's nothing fair about war in the first place, the point is winning, so you use the weapons that you have, I just pointed out that Dany did use a dragon. And i've no doubt she'll use them again.

God or not, They still wouldnt allow Dany to lead the frontline into battle for no other reason than not being a man.

how about because she couldn't fight or hold a sword , she was slender for her age and not physically gifted (other than beauty )

God or not, They still wouldnt allow Dany to lead the frontline into battle.

I don't think Dany wants to lead the frontline in battle. She have capable commanders that were trained for that and if she's ever going to use her dragons in battle that's where she'll be. Dany wasn't ever needed in the frontline and she knows this.

If she ever decided to lead her troops from the frontline the commanders might argue against it but I don't think they would forbid it. (And I don't think she would allow them to forbid it)

Edit: Can't remember that part of the book but who was it that wouldn't follow a woman in battle? The sellswords, dothraki, unsullied or was it everyone? Or was it just her speculation that it would be thougher to lead them in battle because she's a woman?

I can see the dothraki saying it and sellswords follow their own leader and you just pay them to kill your enemies not lead them. I don't think anyone else in her army would have a hard time following her lead :/

I don't think Dany wants to lead the frontline in battle. She have capable commanders that were trained for that and if she's ever going to use her dragons in battle that's probably where she'll be. Dany wasn't ever needed in the frontline and she knows this.

If she ever decided to lead her troops from the frontline the commanders might argue against it but I don't think they would forbid it.

No it's in the books, if anybody remembers where this passage is please help me out.

She's thinking about how she wanted to lead the men into the battle but was told that they would never follow a woman.

None of those, it's specifically stated they would never follow a woman into battle.

you're talking about the dothraki i assume , well the dothraki follow strength in battle and women in general don't traditionally have that kind of strength ,if dany was more like the maid of tarth I'd wager more would follow her and even then some remained with her

and you can't really take this as a rule , men followed women into battle before (aegon's sisters and nymeria ) although i think nym was more of political leader than warrior

Archived