What happens when Jaime lannister meets Dany?

manderin

If I recall correctly these two haven't met yet... at least not since Dany was a toddler. Did you think about what the impact would be if they meet as adults?

In the book it seems that Jaime has a powerful feeling of great loyalty toward Reagor and his family (aside from the mad king). Even more of a loyalty to them than he does to his own lannister family. After all he told the Mad King not to trust his father and not to Tywin and his army through the gates. He also wanted to save Reagor's mother from being brutally raped by the Mad King and felt horrible that he wasn't able to... then he also failed at saving her from death at the hands of Gregor. He also begged Reagor to let him fight by his side and help him at the trident. Reagor refused saying that he needed Jaime to protect the castle while he was gone. After trusting Jamie with this task his last words to Jaime were that when he returned he would make changes to the Kingdom - strongly implying that he would remove his mad father from the thrown.

Looking at all of this, it seems to me that if Jaime were to meet Dany for the first time after all these years he would probably just fall apart with emotion. To go for so many years pushing away the memories of how he was unable to keep his promise to Reagor to protect his family..and how he himself was involved in the slaying of his father- and then suddenly to have Dany before him, how could he even take it? To avoid all those memories and emotions only to have them thrown back you... having a replica of Reagor's eyes suddenly staring back at him in the form of his little sister.

I think he would fall into a pile of blubbering mess at the first sight of her. The guilt would just be too much. I'm not sure he would be able to face her. Am I right?

If this meeting ever comes to play, I hope Mr. Handless Lannister shows the naive Stormburnt kid how screwed up her view of Westeros, the Targs and her father is. To be honest, I was pretty mad at Dragon-Mom's narrowmindedness when it came to the history and nature of her daddy. I hope the meeting serves to open her eyes to the truth about Aerys and the whole wildfire plot.

By the way, Handless feeling guilty about anything is pretty out-of-character and he definitely wouldn't break down with guilt for meeting Aerys v.2's possibly mad daughter, considering that he views his Kingslaying as his "finest act". Furthermore, Khaleesi Stormborn swore red vengence against her father's killer and wouldn't hesitate to roast some lion if given the chance.

Overall, the meeting would be disastrous.

The one constant during Jaime's 'troubled period' sans-hand is that he believes he did the right thing in killing the Mad King. As such then, Mandarin, I suspect you are as wrong as wrong can be. He might be broadening his personality traits, but Soft Drip isn't likely to be one of them.

If Jaime still lives when Dany takes the Iron Throne for herself, Dany will put Jaime on a great trial, so that all of Westeros find out is he really changed from an oathbreaker to an honorable man. The men who would support Jaime on his trial of honor would be Tyrion, Brienne, maybe Lady Stoneheart (if Jaime proves his honor to her, first) and Sansa, and some other knights and lords of the Westerlands.

If Jaime still lives when Dany takes the Iron Throne for herself, Dany will put Jaime on a great trial, so that all of Westeros find out is he really changed from an oathbreaker to an honorable man. The men who would support Jaime on his trial of honor would be Tyrion, Brienne, maybe Lady Stoneheart (if Jaime proves his honor to her, first) and Sansa, and some other knights and lords of the Westerlands.

She might put him on trial, but she'd still burn him in wildfire at the end of it.

Dany knows her father was not quite right in the head, or suspects as much. Ser Barristan Selmy would tell her as much should she ever send Jaime to his death. Jaime would tell her the same story he told Brienne in the baths. Dany would let him live.

No.

Dany, would probably just not believe him and have him set on fire by Drogon.

Dany at this point will try to justify anything her family has done. She will probably even justify what Aerys did to her mother if he told her that.

She is clearly delusional.

Dany knows her father was not quite right in the head, or suspects as much. Ser Barristan Selmy would tell her as much should she ever send Jaime to his death. Jaime would tell her the same story he told Brienne in the baths. Dany would let him live.

Does Dany strike you as the kind of person who would forgive someone for murdering her father, failing to protect Elia and her children, and supporting a usurper on the Iron Throne?

There are no tortures known to man that would satisfy Dany if Jaime fell into her hands.

No.

Dany, would probably just not believe him and have him set on fire by Drogon.

Dany at this point will try to justify anything her family has done. She will probably even justify what Aerys did to her mother if he told her that.

She is clearly delusional.

Well I think she'd listen to Barristan and Jaime, see their stories coincide, probably others would contribute to the cause, like Tyrion.

I don't think she is delusional, at least not yet (I always have that feeling she might turn out like her father though, yet so far, she hasn't anywhere reached his level of madness).

All through the book she has been barking ferociously against the usurpers and all those who have wronged her family. I think it is far more interesting to see her forgive at least one 'usurper' than do what is expected, and just appear and burn everyone to a crisp.

Does Dany strike you as the kind of person who would forgive someone for murdering her father, failing to protect Elia and her children, and supporting a usurper on the Iron Throne?

There are no tortures known to man that would satisfy Dany if Jaime fell into her hands.

If she knew for certain that her father was absolutely freaking insane, as in, believed what others told her about her father, and say, even see all the wildfire kept under KL as evidence of what was being said, yes, I think she might forgive.

Failing to protect Elia and her children is no reason to kill him. He did not opt to not save them, circumstance led him not to be able to save them.

Well I think she'd listen to Barristan and Jaime, see their stories coincide, probably others would contribute to the cause, like Tyrion.

I don't think she is delusional, at least not yet (I always have that feeling she might turn out like her father though, yet so far, she hasn't anywhere reached his level of madness).

All through the book she has been barking ferociously against the usurpers and all those who have wronged her family. I think it is far more interesting to see her forgive at least one 'usurper' than do what is expected, and just appear and burn everyone to a crisp.

Barristan and Jorah's comments about Ned Stark coincide

Not completely accurate but...

"Ned Stark could not stand the murder of children" -Barristan

"The long summer will come before that one betrays his honor" -Jorah

And she still doesn't listen.

If she knew for certain that her father was absolutely freaking insane, as in, believed what others told her about her father, and say, even see all the wildfire kept under KL as evidence of what was being said, yes, I think she might forgive.

Failing to protect Elia and her children is no reason to kill him. He did not opt to not save them, circumstance led him not to be able to save them.

In-universe, avenging the deaths of family members is seen as positively the right thing to do. In addition, Dany's nature is not a forgiving one. I can't see any realistic scenario in which she would be prepared to forgive Jaime for what he did.

Barristan and Jorah's comments about Ned Stark coincide

Not completely accurate but...

"Ned Stark could not stand the murder of children" -Barristan

"The long summer will come before that one betrays his honor" -Jorah

And she still doesn't listen.

Indeed, yet she was not in the position to decide if he would live or die when she heard their opinions, she never met Ned, and Ned never had a trial.

Also, since characters evolve through time (some don't, but she does), they can suffer changes to their personality, opinion, etc.

This of course means she could evolve into a harder, crueler, even mad Targaryen (life has not been easy for her, I see this of course), or she can maintain a firm grasp of trying to do what is right (by which I mean listening, granting the right to a trial, and not Dracarycizing Jaime).

I don't know why, perhaps this was my own interpretation, or there were passages in the book, but I get the feeling that Danny is quite concerned about the Targaryen ”coin" tendency. She seems to be aware that there is a risk that she might go a bit mad. Again, not sure if there is text supporting this or if this is just me putting stuff on a character that is not there.

I do love the thought of a zombie giving a character testimony on behalf of Jamie. :lmao:

If it comes to the point in ASOIAF that Westeros is subject to the aggressively incompetent and misguided rule of Daenerys Targaryen, which I do not think will happen - at least not for very long, then Tyrion will not let her kill Jaime. Tyrion, whom I have no great affection for, will by that point in his story undoubtedly have attained some degree of influence with Daenerys, because Tyrion is Tyrion - that is, highly capable and manipulative. Jaime, whom I have infinite affection for, ultimately, never did anything terribly wrong to Tyrion (at least not recently) and Tyrion will not allow him to be killed. If Jaime dies at the hand of some insufferable, egotistical maniac like Daenerys then I will riot.

Either that or Tyrion will die. I do not see him returning to Westeros separately from Daenerys.

The point is, I don't think Daenerys will sit the Iron Throne and to be honest I don't see this particular story arc coming into fruition - although I think it would be interesting. There are too many factors and variables at play.

Archived