Your interpretation of Jaime's refusal

MizasterJ

• 4 weeks later...

Its the clear mark of the journey that his character has been making for a while - into the good man he once wanted to be. That thing about wanting be Arthur Dayne but became the smiling knight instead... he's finally getting back on track

Everyone has their own theories...I think he sees Brienne not as a new love interest, but as his "true" sister, since Cersei was his lover. Brienne showed him it was okay to be flawed, while Cersei despised him for it. It was Brienne's strength which allowed him to be honest with himself and write the truth in the Kingsguard book.

I also like the dichotomy at play as Jaime wakes up to see the inner ugliness that is masked by Cersei's outer beauty and the inner beauty masked by Brienne's outer ugliness.

Whether or not this leads to a happy ending for him is another matter.

lol @ this Madonna/Whore BS...typical

"She fucked Lancel and Osmund Kettlebeck and Moon Boy for all I know"

What more do you need? Jaime is betrayed by the only person he cares about. That and now he's trying to be more good. How can he be good if he defends the evil tyrant that Cersei is?

I'm glad he burned the letter. Jaime is a total badass, I hope Brienne doesn't break his heart too.

Also, he refused to be Tyrion's champion with his brother's life on the line, despite loving him almost as much as Cersei (at the time). He knew he'd die, and look a fool in the process.

The only difference, I think, is his refusal to die for Tyrion was more one of self-serving pride for his image, while he had lost most of that by the time he was in the Riverlands. With Cersei, he was refusing to die for her pride.

• 1 month later...

Everyone has their own theories...I think he sees Brienne not as a new love interest, but as his "true" sister, since Cersei was his lover. Brienne showed him it was okay to be flawed, while Cersei despised him for it. It was Brienne's strength which allowed him to be honest with himself and write the truth in the Kingsguard book.

Also, he refused to be Tyrion's champion with his brother's life on the line, despite loving him almost as much as Cersei (at the time). He knew he'd die, and look a fool in the process.

The only difference, I think, is his refusal to die for Tyrion was more one of self-serving pride for his image, while he had lost most of that by the time he was in the Riverlands. With Cersei, he was refusing to die for her pride.

Well said. :)

• 5 months later...

Mmmm confusing isn't it. I really don't think his just left his sister to her fate, doesn't feel right. Even though Cerci is the worse shit in the 7 kingdoms, and Jamie is now seeing his sister for what she truly is, I don't think his at the point where he would abandon her and leave her to die.

• 2 weeks later...

. Plus, I think he kinda has a boner for Brienne... and yes, I think he can get past her horse teeth and manly figure. That my friends is the measure of a man.

I also think that meeting and getting to know Brienne (horse teeth and all) was the catalyst for the change in Jaime, that and losing his hand.

Losing his hand sort of cut him loose (no pun intended) from everything he was and represented - you are a knight and a fighter and then you lose your sword hand - serious identity crisis ensues: what can you be NOW? What have you done with that perfect body so far? Oh gods, protected questionable rulers and lived a life of secrets and lies with sister.And then he comes home and said sister isn't supportive at all but only keeps on nattering about that "ugly stump" while making demands on your.

Then, in this situation full of uncertainties, Tyrion brings in a whole new level of uncertainties by killing Tywin and suggesting Cersei was really VERY unfaithful.

And then, while dealing with newly nasty Cersei, Jaime contrasts her with Brienne, a completely different kind of woman: totally sincere, much too sincere for manipulations and intrigues, totally self-sacrificing, ready to keep absurd promises ("must...rescue...Sansa..."), totally committed and loyal - and Cersei loses in comparison to Brienne. It doesn't help that Cersei IS actually getting a lot worse over time, being drunk, more scheming and more stupid than before...

• 2 weeks later...

As a very young man Jaime was concerned with honour, and he believed in it. Then he just encountered (1) men who called themselves honourable but stood by while their king burned and raped (2) men who had no time for honour at all (his own father who e.g. criticized him for letting Ned live after he was wounded) or (3) had honour but despised him without hesitation because of what he thinks of as his one truly good deed.  He was totally disillusioned and cynical.  Cersei was the only one who loved him and he was completely faithful to her. He also felt protective of her during her unhappy marriage.  Now he has discovered that she has not been at all faithful to him, that she has no interest in him in his maimed state.  Added to this, he has finally met someone he believes is truly honourable, Brienne, and that desire for honour has reawakened.

In spite of all this, I don't see him abandoning Cersei ... unless it comes to a choice between saving her and saving Brienne and then who knows....

• 6 months later...

First of all Jaime is my most favourite character in AFFC and maybe even overall (Jon seems changed since elections). His history and the part he played in Robert rebellion is so interesting and his backstory with Cersei since childhood and thenrelationship torward Tywin and Tyrion is so interesting that I dont know if there was that likeable POV character (maybe Ned?)

Anyways they are two ways Im looking at it

1)He only burns the letter as an evidence of their love/past love and goes straight to KL despite his doubts and all. I still he still kind of love her!

2)He will not go there because he doesnt want to be a Lannister anymore.I know - strong words but he is just starting to despise his family in AFFC Tywin,Tyrion and Cersei.Only thing that doesnt cooperate with this theory is capturing Riverrun.Why did he do this? Why he didnt meet conditions with Blackfish? Would it be too obvious or what? 

This is the moment where I was very upset with him and I think its possible that he somehow helps Jeyne and Edmure (tho he hates him, so I dont know) ...I am so confused :D

Archived