Ned Stark, who is this man he's thinking about?

In GoT chapter 4 when The Ned is talking to Cat and middlefinger and Cat is saying middlefinger is going to help The Ned, we get this thought from him.

That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that ... It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

Who is the other man he despises that he made common cause with and when was it? Any ideas?

In GoT chapter 4 when The Ned is talking to Cat and middlefinger and Cat is saying middlefinger is going to help The Ned, we get this thought from him.

That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that ... It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

Who is the other man he despises that he made common cause with and when was it? Any ideas?

Greyjoy Rebellion?

Tywin I suppose, when the Lannisters joined Roberts rebellion before the sack of KL.

I believe it is Jaime Lannister.

The implications of what few conversations they had is that they had very little, if anything, to do with each other between the throne room incident and Jaime coming to Winterfell. Presumably Jaime stayed at Kings Landing to protect the queen (hah) while Robert was punching jaws on the Iron Islands.

It's gotta be Tywin. Remember Ned stayed in the North except for the Greyjoy rebellion, so it can only be Tywin (or perhaps Roose, although we've got no real info on their interactions).

Tywin Jamie one of those two I would guess. Or it could even be Roose Bolton Ned would haveknown what the man was really like but not have been able to do anything I think its pretty common knowledge that Roose enjoyed rape and flaying and I can't imagine Ned and his honor liked that very much but Roose was very useful and the North probably wouldn't have been very supportive in Roose being removed as head of house Bolton. In fact this is one of those questions the more you think about it the more people you can think of Ned not liking clegane, frey,

The implications of what few conversations they had is that they had very little, if anything, to do with each other between the throne room incident and Jaime coming to Winterfell. Presumably Jaime stayed at Kings Landing to protect the queen (hah) while Robert was punching jaws on the Iron Islands.

It's gotta be Tywin. Remember Ned stayed in the North except for the Greyjoy rebellion, so it can only be Tywin (or perhaps Roose, although we've got no real info on their interactions).

Yes, but the few things they did have to do with each other is exactly making comon cause with somebody he despises. He's the first one to enter the throne-room and if it were up to him he'd have Jaime put to trail for breaking his vows, but it's Robert that talks him out of it. All other times they meet it's very clear Ned despises Jaime, more than any other character.

He would despise Tywin aswell, but unlike Jaime Ned would respect him as a competent battle commander and leader.

I don't think so. Ned didn't seem to despise Rhaegar at all in his thoughts.

Yes, that is the only problem I had with that. I came up with reasons though: He impregnated his sister out of wedlock (maybe, don't know if they married), he stole his sister from his best friend, to whom she was betrothed. I don't think he'd hate him over what his father did though.

Now, I don't recall him ever thinking about Rhaegar, much less in the sense thst he hated him. This may have been intentional, so Martin makes people even more surprised with R+L=J.

Does fit quite well if he did in fact hate him.

Yes, but the few things they did have to do with each other is exactly making comon cause with somebody he despises. He's the first one to enter the throne-room and if it were up to him he'd have Jaime put to trail for breaking his vows, but it's Robert that talks him out of it. All other times they meet it's very clear Ned despises Jaime, more than any other character.

He would despise Tywin aswell, but unlike Jaime Ned would respect him as a competent battle commander and leader.

Ned and Jaime have never had "common cause". They have never had to work side by side for anything. The throne room incident wasn't "common cause".

Archived