Ned Stark, who is this man he's thinking about?

I agree it's probably several people. Tywin certainly, and Roose. Probably Littlefinger (note how much he's taunting and provoking Ned in the leadup to this quote). But it wouldn't surprise me if Ned also means Robert, because at times he did despise him. In fact, nearer the beginning of this chapter, Ned briefly thinks maybe Robert would have been responsible for the attack on BRan in Bed, then Ned decides not to even consider it.

In GoT chapter 4 when The Ned is talking to Cat and middlefinger and Cat is saying middlefinger is going to help The Ned, we get this thought from him.

That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that ... It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

Who is the other man he despises that he made common cause with and when was it? Any ideas?

Tywin, when defeating Aerys and the greyjoys. He hates the Lannisters, but has had to work with them

He likes Jon arryn, who is like his father; LC Mormont is his bro; Robert is his friend and brother in all but blood, and he hates Littlefinger but hasnt had to work with him yet

Could be anyone, one thing I learned is that the North isn't exactly made up of a bunch of Ned Starks, he might even be the exception to the rule, and there are probably a lot of Northern Lords that are, or were during his time, absolute scum. Then he fought two wars alongside Southerners, and Northerners are generally contemptous of their ilk anyway.

In GoT chapter 4 when The Ned is talking to Cat and middlefinger and Cat is saying middlefinger is going to help The Ned, we get this thought from him.

That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that ... It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

Who is the other man he despises that he made common cause with and when was it? Any ideas?

Tywin Lannister? An ally (sort of) in the war, but a man who would sic his psychopathic thugs on the Targaryen children and their mother, and far from being brought to justice, Tywin was rewarded by Robert.

Jaime Lannister? A man who broke his vow and committed regicide but got pardoned and kept his title on King Robert's orders.

I think Ned was angry, disappointed and disgusted at Robert, but Ned didn't despise him. They were best friends and like brothers. Otherwise, I doubt they would have reconciled over Lyanna and Ned wouldn't have trusted him to do the right thing (which he doesn't).

Tywin, not because of the greyjoy rebellion, but because of the sacking of KL. I actually think he felt pretty guilty for that. Robert's Rebellion is often seen as robert leading basically the Starks and the Lannisters by most people , even if this isn't really true. So he feels bad that people make the lannisters and starks out as similar in the rebellion

Eddard has probably worked with a lot of people he didn't like during his life.

Although, working with Tywin, Jaime, Gregor, Lorch after the Robert's Rebellion and during the Greyjoy Rebellion probably rubbed him in a particularly bad way.

I doubt if he liked working with Roose either. It was mentioned by Jon or Cat (or maybe both) that Ned never trusted Roose.

Some of the people that Ned worked with at Winterfell were pretty distasteful. Mikken always changed the rules of the March Madness tournament bracket to award himself more points for mediocre picks; Fat Tom was always drinking milk directly out of the carton; Vayon Poole would send out passive-aggressive staff memos CC'd to everyone in the castle, even though they were addressed to only one person; and Old Nan always forwards every single chain raven she receives ("YOU MUST SEND THIS LETTER TO FIVE MORE PEOPLE OR SUFFER THE CURSE OF WINTERFELL!!!" type deals).

Tywin for sure. His forces sacked KL, he himself brought dead childern in front of the IT. A nd we know what happened. It could have been also Jaime, but I guess it was Tywin

and as for Rhaegar, Ned didn't think about him too much, and when he did, it wasn't in a negative light

Some of the people that Ned worked with at Winterfell were pretty distasteful. Mikken always changed the rules of the March Madness tournament bracket to award himself more points for mediocre picks; Fat Tom was always drinking milk directly out of the carton; Vayon Poole would send out passive-aggressive staff memos CC'd to everyone in the castle, even though they were addressed to only one person; and Old Nan always forwards every single chain raven she receives ("YOU MUST SEND THIS LETTER TO FIVE MORE PEOPLE OR SUFFER THE CURSE OF WINTERFELL!!!" type deals).

Chain raven!! :laugh: :laugh:

Archived