Why Waymar Royce went willingly to the wall?

Señor de la Tormenta

Not if he wants to keep his social status and goodies he can't. Remember he gets a big procession all the way up to the North with his daddy, and gets his fancy horse and armour and mole hair cloak? That all dissapears if he runs away from home and turns sellsword.

Also, the only person Robert ever talked about invading the Summer Islands with was Jalabhar Xho, and Cersei was pretty clear it was publically known it was never going to happen.

Hehe, indeed the only thing Robert would invade in the Summer Isle are its brothels.

As for Waymar, we have no idea what may have inspired his trip to the wall. I can't think he did it for glory because the Nights Watch brothers get no recognition of that sort. He could have went for tradition, or maybe he was just as big a dick at home so they sent him off to be rid of his attitude. Of course he may have also done something icky like getting caught banging his sister. You just never know.

Well he can always become a sellsword or wait for robert to invade the summer ilands.

Or he can join the Watch. Which is what he did. No real mystery. The Night's Watch is simply a thing in Westeros. Law-abiding men have been joining of their own free will for thousands of years. Not just third sons, either: Jeor Mormont joined while he was actually a Lord in his own right. It's just part of the story.

"Because he is a third son" is just not a valid explanation. There are dozens of third sons in westeros, and none of them goes to the freaking wall. Few nobles are in their ranks, most of them enlisted when they were old (Mormont) as a punishment (Ryyker, Thorne) or many years ago, as Mallister.

The only true example is Benjen Stark, but we know the special bond Starks got with the wall. Then not any third son goes to the wall...even from north; we ve no Karstarks, Umbers, Manderlys, all of them big houses with no place for all their sigils.

So Waymar Royce, as a single unique example in 1000 men is unlist mystirious. I feel there was an interesting story behind this, and I would love to read peoples ideas on the matter.

If the explanations already given in the book aren't satisfactory, then consider the adventure angle. Some people enjoy roughing it and taking the harder route. Some are content going on leisurely hikes every weekend, while others go for Everest. Some in Westeros are cool with participating in tourneys or becoming sellswords, while others yearn for the extreme adventure of doing the equivalent in extreme conditions.

Considering the reasons Robbar joined Renly, that he was also a younger son that needed to make his way in the world, it would seem that Bronze Yohn instilled in his sons some sort of ambition and self reliance in his sons. For his eldest this would probably be to continue the family line while the younger sons must be all they can be somewhere else.

` A bit off-topic, but how many sons is Bronze Yohn down to?

One

If the explanations already given in the book aren't satisfactory, then consider the adventure angle. Some people enjoy roughing it and taking the harder route. Some are content going on leisurely hikes every weekend, while others go for Everest. Some in Westeros are cool with participating in tourneys or becoming sellswords, while others yearn for the extreme adventure of doing the equivalent in extreme conditions.

In some ways NW is like an extreme version of the boy scouts! :)

I'd say that people often seem to forget the profits of joining the Watch - you'll never need to worry about keeping a household. You get food, accommodation, clothes, arms and armour, horses, medical treatment, training, lots of new friends, etc. The Watch watches your back.

In the watch, he'd get to command men, have a decent chance of rising high (even becoming Lord Commander one day), as well as never having to worry about food or clothes again. Coupled with a martial nature, and the fact that his house is one of the ones still holding the Watch in some regard, I really don't think there's any more to it than that.

He may well have though "well, shit!" when he gets there and finds out what the Watch has become, somewhat like Jon does, but it's equally possible he sees it as an opportunity to make a difference. He seems competent enough, if perhaps a little arrogant (at least from Will's perspective), but then not even The Ned believes the tales of Others, and he lived much closer to the Wall.

In the watch, he'd get to command men, have a decent chance of rising high (even becoming Lord Commander one day), as well as never having to worry about food or clothes again. Coupled with a martial nature, and the fact that his house is one of the ones still holding the Watch in some regard, I really don't think there's any more to it than that.

He may well have though "well, shit!" when he gets there and finds out what the Watch has become, somewhat like Jon does, but it's equally possible he sees it as an opportunity to make a difference. He seems competent enough, if perhaps a little arrogant (at least from Will's perspective), but then not even The Ned believes the tales of Others, and he lived much closer to the Wall.

Let's not forget that his companions are shit, especially Gared. Ser Waymar has to correct pretty much any sentence out of his mouth because they are full of willful blindness and idiocy. Everybody would appear arrogant then.

Thats something I can buy.

Upon reflection I actually really like Waymar. Arrogant, but what a boss to join the NW in this day and age, and to willingly fight the Others instead of fleeing. Brave, honourable guy.

Yeah, I really feel that he's a bit of a douche too, but got to give the guy some credit too. No one has seen a White Walker for thousands of years, then this guy faces one head on without soiling his smallclothes.

Archived