How many men to take down Gregor Clegane?

LordFirkraag

Not Robert Strong, but the original Gregor Clegane?

Arguably just one if you pick Oberyn Martell, but bear in mind that Oberyn was no ordinary man...and in any case he had the advantage of poison and the knowledge of the chinks in Gregor's plate mail.

This armour is so thick and heavy that Clegane is almost like a human tank, as I see it. Stopping him is not going to be easy. How many soldiers would do the job?

I think it's more about the weapons than about the number of people.

Remember it's said that Gregor's armour is ridiculously thick and so heavy that only he can wear it and move around in it. That would explain why Clegane survives battle after battle, not just due to his physical gifts.

I think you have a better time with 5 men with war-hammers than 10 with swords.

Good point. Realistically, though, there have to be gaps in his gear or he would never be able to see. So anyone with a knife could just jump up on his shoulders and take out his eyes.

He would also get tired. With ten men harassing him, it's only a matter of time before he buckles.

Probably why he's being turned into Robert Strong. More interesting TACTICS if he's undead as well as tireless...

If he didn't die at Stone Mill, I would have thought some of the Riverlands soldiers would have tried to drown him and use the weight of his ridiculously heavy armor against him.

I can imagine Victarion bull-rushing him off a ship into the water. That's one method. Would be pretty tubular.

One man fighting intelligently with speed and a bit of luck. Or one man using brute force. Robert would have caved Gregors massive chest in with his warhammer, Bronn on a good day would simply outfight him. People like Jaime, Barristan, Arthur Dayne etc would go the same way as Bronn. Outmanoeuvre and outfight him. I think a big part of Gregors shtick was the fact that he was essentially someone who fought his way through commonfolk who probably had far less training and experience, obviously inferior armour, and just general fear of this beast of a man coming at them.

How many nobles do we know of that actually fought Gregor? Sandor, Oberyn, and Beric, to my recollection. One literally stuck a stick through Gregor and wiped the floor with him, another basically parried everything Gregor threw at him with relative ease, and the last one Gregor actually killed. Excusing cockiness causing death, that's a 2-1 trade off. Gregors big and strong, and he's skilled with a sword, but as I said an intelligent, fast fighter should win.

It depends on the man/men.

Gregor doesn't seem all that technically skilled as a fighter. Oberyn, young Barristan, two-handed Jaime, Arthur Dayne, and other highly skilled fighters could take him down one-on-one.

Gregor's best use is on a battlefield, in the chaos of things, where technical skill can be forgotten and hampered by terrain and fatigue. He is massive, extremely strong, rides a freakishly large horse, and has extremely thick armor. It gives him a huge advantage over average and mediocre fighters. He can ride right over opposing forces.

My guess is a half dozen average men with spears and a good plan should be able to take him on foot.

It depends his chief advantage is the terror he inspires. He could likely cut through a dozen common footsoldiers as they'd be hesitant to engage and he could pick them off one by one.

But two determined knights fighting in tandem could beat him nearly every time. Say Garlan and Loras Tyrell, or Yohn and Robar Royce.

It depends his chief advantage is the terror he inspires. He could likely cut through a dozen common footsoldiers as they'd be hesitant to engage and he could pick them off one by one.

But two determined knights fighting in tandem could beat him nearly every time. Say Garlan and Loras Tyrell, or Yohn and Robar Royce.

I would prefer Rolland Storm and Richard Horpe, but yeah, too guys who know what they are doing will take this oversized brute nearly every time.

Archived