How many men to take down Gregor Clegane?

LordFirkraag

If you are talking in a scrap with average men, then three to be sure. Anything less is too much of a gamble. There isn't a man alive who can beat three opponents unless they come at him one at a time in the traditional movie/TV style. Except Chuck Norris, obviously.

This is from Sansa's first chapter in ASOS:

On the edge of the yard, a lone knight with a pair of golden roses on his shield was holding off three foes. Even as they watched, he caught one of them alongside the head, knocking him senseless. “Is that your brother?” Sansa asked.

“It is, my lady,” said Ser Loras. “Garlan often trains against three men, or even four. In battle it is seldom one against one, he says, so he likes to be prepared.”

If Garlan can hold his own against three, then I'd say you'd need more for the Mountain.

GRRM made a Tyrell equal to Chuck Norris, but we all know this is fantasy.

This is from Sansa's first chapter in ASOS:

On the edge of the yard, a lone knight with a pair of golden roses on his shield was holding off three foes. Even as they watched, he caught one of them alongside the head, knocking him senseless. “Is that your brother?” Sansa asked.

“It is, my lady,” said Ser Loras. “Garlan often trains against three men, or even four. In battle it is seldom one against one, he says, so he likes to be prepared.”

If Garlan can hold his own against three, then I'd say you'd need more for the Mountain.

GRRM made a Tyrell equal to Chuck Norris, but we all know this is fantasy.

I'm talking about real fighting. Except the Chuck Norris bit. That was a joke.

I see Gregors reach with that 6 ft greatsword and his unusually thick plate negating Robert's warhammer advantage. In fact Gregor is sorta a walking anti-Robert for the following reasons.

-Robert isn't fast enough to get in and out of Gregor's reach.

-Robert isn't known for intelligence and would likely attack Gregor head on.

-Gregor's thick plate would see that only heavy blows cause any actual damage and In doing so leaves Robert vulnerable while loading up for hard swings.

-Warhammers are slower to wield than a sword.

Yeah, this all seems true enough, I'd argue though that since Robert has shown the speed and skill required to defeat and kill far faster swordsmen than Clegane, he'd have the speed and skill to check the Mountain until he got the opening required. His duel with Rheagar seems to show he has the patience to last it out, until *WHAM!* Hammer to the chest. Was Rheagar wielding Valyrian Steel? I picture Clegane as a fight Robert would relish, and walk away from in one piece, since I imagine he hits hard enough so that even if Gregor checked the blows he'd feel them, and he only needs one solid hit, instead of "death by a thousand cuts."

So you're saying that while it might take many men, one woman could do it? :smug:

I also like the arrow approach. I know that we're all expecting a final showdown between the mountain and the hound, but part of me hopes that Theon (a skilled archer) will be the one who takes down Robert Strong. Extremely unlikely, but I want him to redeem himself in a big way!

too bad RS has no head....

2 people took down Arthur Dayne, so probably 2 people would be enough to take down Gregor. That said in a 1v1 fight, Gregor would be probably one of the best.

Not ordinary 2 people. Ned is good with sword, not special but good. And Reed, we don't know what power he has...

Yeah, this all seems true enough, I'd argue though that since Robert has shown the speed and skill required to defeat and kill far faster swordsmen than Clegane, he'd have the speed and skill to check the Mountain until he got the opening required. His duel with Rheagar seems to show he has the patience to last it out, until *WHAM!* Hammer to the chest. Was Rheagar wielding Valyrian Steel? I picture Clegane as a fight Robert would relish, and walk away from in one piece, since I imagine he hits hard enough so that even if Gregor checked the blows he'd feel them, and he only needs one solid hit, instead of "death by a thousand cuts."

Because we don't have details of Robert vs Rhaegar I can't say Robert has patience. I can only go by his personality described in the books, which points to him being the headstrong type. While I do believe Robert was quick for his size, I don't see him being quick enough to avoid Gregor because of his style, size, and weapon of choice. Oberyn was successful, but he's much faster than Robert and he utilized a 8 ft spear to neutralize Gregors reach.

Robert has to get inside Gregors reach and while Robert is a big man in his own right, Gregor is nearly twice his size. If Oberyn's fight with the mountain has taught us anything it's that close quarters with Gregor is certain death. Don't forget that though Robert won his duel with Rhaegar, he was wounded badly and Gregor has been said to hack men in half with a single blow. Let's also not forget that Gregor one hands that 6 ft greatsword with relative ease, which allows him to still tote a shield. I'm sure Robert's warhammer likely leaves him shieldless because it's too large for him to wield one handed and the lack of a shield against Gregor only ensures death as that was how the much quicker Oberyn avoided the majority of Gregors blows.

I'd probably argue that any fighter with a head on approach to fighting is almost certainly doomed against the mountain(Sandor, Victarion, Robert) unless some unknown variable evens the fight for them. I'm not saying no one can best him without hit and run tactics, but the odds are definitely stacked against it. Beric's repeated failure only speaks testament to how difficult it is to confront the mountain that rides. Especially when you remember how competitive his fight with Sandor was, which imo Beric looked the more skilled of the two. Sandor's strength and Beric's equipment failing is what caused his sudden defeat, if not for his sword breaking who knows what may or may not of happened. Gregor on the otherhand defeats Beric numerous times with not too much difficulty, at least from the little info we're given.

As a side note: Robert is depicted with both one handed and two handed Warhammers by different artist. Though the one described by GRRM is likely a large two handed one because Ned is said to barely be able to lift it. That would point to it being too heavy even for Robert to one hand it and still carry a shield effectively.

Exhausting The Mountain?

What makes any of you think one man can exhaust the Mountain (who is constantly fighting all the time in this armor) before getting exhausted themselves?

Oberyn did it...

Also, The Mountain can also swing his two handed great sword with one arm (and a shield in the other) with such incredible force and reach that I think he takes out multiple soldiers in one swing.

Multiple unarmored soldiers sure, but a shield can block a sword....even Gregor's sword.

Because we don't have details of Robert vs Rhaegar I can't say Robert has patience. I can only go by his personality described in the books, which points to him being the headstrong type. While I do believe Robert was quick for his size, I don't see him being quick enough to avoid Gregor because of his style, size, and weapon of choice. Oberyn was successful, but he's much faster than Robert and he utilized a 8 ft spear to neutralize Gregors reach.

Robert has to get inside Gregors reach and while Robert is a big man in his own right, Gregor is nearly twice his size. If Oberyn's fight with the mountain has taught us anything it's that close quarters with Gregor is certain death. Don't forget that though Robert won his duel with Rhaegar, he was wounded badly and Gregor has been said to hack men in half with a single blow. Let's also not forget that Gregor one hands that 6 ft greatsword with relative ease, which allows him to still tote a shield. I'm sure Robert's warhammer likely leaves him shieldless because it's too large for him to wield one handed and the lack of a shield against Gregor only ensures death as that was how the much quicker Oberyn avoided the majority of Gregors blows.

I'd probably argue that any fighter with a head on approach to fighting is almost certainly doomed against the mountain(Sandor, Victarion, Robert) unless some unknown variable evens the fight for them. I'm not saying no one can best him without hit and run tactics, but the odds are definitely stacked against it. Beric's repeated failure only speaks testament to how difficult it is to confront the mountain that rides. Especially when you remember how competitive his fight with Sandor was, which imo Beric looked the more skilled of the two. Sandor's strength and Beric's equipment failing is what caused his sudden defeat, if not for his sword breaking who knows what may or may not of happened. Gregor on the otherhand defeats Beric numerous times with not too much difficulty, at least from the little info we're given.

As a side note: Robert is depicted with both one handed and two handed Warhammers by different artist. Though the one described by GRRM is likely a large two handed one because Ned is said to barely be able to lift it. That would point to it being too heavy even for Robert to one hand it and still carry a shield effectively.

Eddard Stark says something along the lines of "they clashed again and again, until finally a blow from Roberts Warhammer fell Rheagar." Paraphrasing. Even at the height of his fury, against the man that he hated the most, it sounds like Robert conserved enough energy for a lengthy fight against Rheagar. Gregor on the other hand is nothing to him, and Robert, while not the sharpest knife in the drawer is certainly intellegent enough to note Gregor's strengths and weaknesses.

All it says is Robert took a wound in that fight with Rheagar, noted for excelling with a sword as he did at all else (no Dayne or Selmy, I'll admit), he seems well enough to ensure Ser Barristan lives and even sends his own Measter to attend him, suggesting merely a minor setback. Gregor is bigger than Robert agreed, Rob is a 6 ft 5" guy (roundabout) and Gregor is closer to 8ft than 7, so probably about a foot and a half difference, 18 inches, something like that. Gregors biggest advantage being an 8ft reach, which would be harder to negate with a hammer than with a spear admittedly, on the other hand Rob only requires one, solid hit, unlike a smaller, faster fighter who'd be reigning blows to little effect, and since Gregor isn't the most efficient dodger in the series, how long would it take for a Warhammer to make a ruin of a shield? Would you try to parry one with a sword? Gregor is strong, but Warhammers shatter bones. I'd say Robert parries the sword attacks keeping a distance until Gregor tires, then all he has to do is avoid one swing. Also, Oberyn only took one blow from Gregor on his shield, which ruined it.

You remember Sandors fight with Gregor? He seemed to be taking the full fury of the Mountain without even trying to attack him back. Its worth noting that even Arya points out that Sandor is hungover against Beric, doing anything physical is hard with a hangover, and Sandor doesn't hold back on the drink either. He is also up against a flaming sword, which we know is his weakness, since Thoros has done him in three times with one, and surrounded by fire as well. In short, Beric held all the cards.

I'd imagine he has no shield, since Eddard is probably capable of lifting Gregors greatsword, since nothing exception is said about it, and Gregor is stronger than Robert, who wields a hammer that Ned can scarcely lift. So I've very much doubt he has a shield as well.

Archived